The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Viper (solidbody electric) neck profile?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

aussy
Posted 2009-04-11 3:51 PM (#419358)
Subject: Viper (solidbody electric) neck profile?

Was thinking about picking up one of these, probably the mahogany version, so I was wondering what kind of neck profile they have or if anyone could give me a quick description. Thanks!

Also a good condition viper goes for like 450 average these days?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
CrimsonLake
Posted 2009-04-11 4:13 PM (#419359 - in reply to #419358)
Subject: Re: Viper (solidbody electric) neck profile?

Where in NJ are you?
aussy
Posted 2009-04-11 5:08 PM (#419360 - in reply to #419358)

central or north jersey, usually in Madison
So, really far from you ;>
stonebobbo
Posted 2009-04-11 6:14 PM (#419361 - in reply to #419358)

I have one that has the one piece mahogany body, magohany neck with ebony board. The mahogany ones were all done late in the run, so it'll have the chrome Schaller bridge. Truly a special guitar. The neck profile is really close to the profile on my strat ... which is the classic C shape. Not too thin, not too thick. A bit less chunky than my Hamer Mirage, but more meaty than the Surfcaster. And the nut width at 1 9/16 is narrower than any other electric I have, but it's never been a problem for me. It's still my go-to electric. Looks wise, it is nothing less than killer. The original finish clouded over, and the factory did a really nice refinish on it for me.

If you want to hear what it sounds like in various settings, go to my ning page at http://ovationfanclub.ning.com/profile/bobbo and listen to some of the songs posted there: the Viper is the lead guitar on "Carmelo" (through Fender tube amp with lotsa tube reverb), it's the electric guitar on "California Lady" (Line6 Flextone emulation of a Marshall plexi), the lead but on "Hey Baby" (clean Fender channel), the electric guitar bit on "All Right" (Line6 model of a Fender Blackface Twin).
aussy
Posted 2009-04-11 7:07 PM (#419362 - in reply to #419358)

Sounds great. I was hoping the neck would be a little fatter, but I'm down with classic C shapes. I was thinking about picking up some luthier assembled partsocaster, but I think this viper would have A LOT more mojo, which is always welcome. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to have it...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)