The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
what would you do? good guitar not as described

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Posted 2009-03-20 8:44 PM (#422280)
Subject: what would you do? good guitar not as described

Need some motherly advice. Bought a 1621-4 on ebay. Seller claimed "mint" "like new" condition. Asked many very specific questions about damage and cracks as did other bidders. Guitar arrived and has a crack from the bridge b string to edge of body. Minor nicks around edge of top and some very minor dents in back of neck. But it sounds and plays great!!! Better than my 1617 that I bought new in 1977. Even with the cruddy strings that I have not changed yet. Filed a claim with paypal for misrepresentation and won. I have until tomorrow to ship back and get a full refund. Apprehensive about actually getting the money and missing this great guitar. Will it be easy enough for me to find another good one? Other than the mentioned issues it looks like new as does the case. I paid top dollar based on a non-cracked guitar. If it was disclosed I would have paid up to $150 less than what I did. Any thoughts? thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2009-03-20 8:56 PM (#422281 - in reply to #422280)
Subject: Re: what would you do? good guitar not as described

This is an awesome time for buying a nice guitar. I'd return it and use the funds to buy two nice guitars!

Oh, and did I mention I had some for sale... :rolleyes:
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-03-21 12:09 AM (#422282 - in reply to #422280)

Request a $150. refund. 1621 was not such a popular model, most people opted for the fancier 1627. You won't easily find another.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-03-21 1:38 AM (#422283 - in reply to #422280)

I got a 1621... Nice guitar. No Bling.

Yeah, you got a decision to make. But I would request a partial refund of some sort.
Since I don't know what you paid for it...
But I bought a 1617 that was cosmetically a POS, but it sounded nice so it was worth the money.

So...
Joe Rotax
Posted 2009-03-21 4:00 AM (#422284 - in reply to #422280)

Originally posted by Old Man Arthur:
I got a 1621... Nice guitar. No Bling.
Same here, mint 1621-4 no bling.

Diamond fret markers are too much bling for me.
GaryB
Posted 2009-03-21 8:08 AM (#422285 - in reply to #422280)

You like the guitar, but would have paid less. Try to get the seller to give you the refund. The seller would consider this a bird in the hand situation. The guitar is known to be damaged, and you'd like to keep it. He'd have to sell it cheaper anyway, and then there's another shipping fee, maybe 2, to contend with. If I were the seller, I'd give you the $150 you'd request, and maybe save myself from getting a negative feedback in the bargain.
Posted 2009-03-21 1:29 PM (#422286 - in reply to #422280)

Thanks for the input. I made an offer to the seller and his answer is silence - so it goes back today. If this shows up on ebay again its a good playing and sounding instrument in good condition for its age. Typical moderate fretware on the first five frets. Needs a fret dressing and new strings. Some minor nicks and scratches and that nasty crack. The crack does not show well in photos but easy to spot in person. Under glass it looks like it does not go all the way through the wood but you can fell a pronounced ridge if you run your finger across it. If the seller claims "like new" or "mint" condition it is not. Electronics worked after I tightened everything up but has a bit of a ground hum. The case, aside from some closet scrapes, looks like new and does not smell like smoke. FOR REFERENCE - I am very picky - graphic designer who does pixel based editing. I did buy a used Taylor several years back that was claimed "like new mint" except for a very minor ding and it was 100% as described. I will take some pics, and serial #, and post before I ship. I'll follow up on the paypal refund process and let you all know how it worked out. Thanks again.
edensharvest
Posted 2009-03-21 1:53 PM (#422287 - in reply to #422280)

That's unfortunate that the seller was like that over the issue. It sounds like a nice guitar.

I bought an Elite that way once...described "near mint" and had a major belly crack. Fortunately, I paid low enough for it that even after sending it in for a major refresh and fixup at the factory, I was able to recoup my total cost in it when I did eventually sell it. Excellent guitar overall.

Sometimes those older Legends have such an incredible sound that it is worth putting a little extra into preserving their structural integrity and getting them back up and running again. You do find them fairly regularly if you watch for them, and I've found a few at incredible deals before that turned out great. It's a guessing game unfortunately if you play ebay.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-03-21 2:10 PM (#422288 - in reply to #422280)

"That's unfortunate that the seller was like that over the issue. It sounds like a nice guitar."

Yeah, but if he won't answer your email he may have been intentionally deceptive.
In that case, hit him for the total cost you paid through PayPal, and leave him a healthy negative.
In CAPS! With unhappy faces! :(
GaryB
Posted 2009-03-21 5:13 PM (#422289 - in reply to #422280)

That's too bad, seems like a refund to you would have made you both happy. What's the item number? I'd like to see if it comes up on Ebay again.
Posted 2009-03-21 6:27 PM (#422290 - in reply to #422280)

Its going back. Serial number 105227. Attached photos are all of the same guitar. A head on shot does not show the crack.
Posted 2009-03-21 6:47 PM (#422291 - in reply to #422280)

pics are here

http://ovationfanclub.ning.com/profile/MichaelDiMattio
Posted 2009-04-05 12:11 AM (#422292 - in reply to #422280)

All ends well - Guitar went back - Paypal refunded the money that I paid for the guitar and shipping that I paid when purchased. I had to pay the return freight. In the end, the new escrow procedure works-even though the mechanics of it are frustrating-bottom line is I got the refund on a fraudulent sale where in the past it would have been tough luck. I think it worked in my favor because the seller said "like new" and "mint" in his description and apparently paypal has an English dictionary in house. Also, the trail of very specific questions that were either avoided or falsely answered as to condition. So sellers and buyers beware - ask questions, document it, be timely, be truthful and fact beats opinion. Thank you.
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-04-05 12:18 AM (#422293 - in reply to #422280)

It still fries me that you have eat the return shipping, but as you say, it's better than before.

Thanx for the update!
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-04-05 9:11 AM (#422294 - in reply to #422280)

Originally posted by 2ifbyC:
It still fries me that you have eat the return shipping.
If you return something to your local shop do they reimburse your gas?

I just consider it the price you have to pay for having gthe convenience of doing business on line. PayPal fees, ebay fees, return shipping fees, sure it costs you money. That's the price you pay. It's optional.
sligoman
Posted 2009-04-05 11:22 AM (#422295 - in reply to #422280)

What was the guy's feedback rating like? Negative feedback is usually not good for either party. But it's good the return system worked for you.
Posted 2009-04-05 12:15 PM (#422296 - in reply to #422280)

Originally posted by Gallerinski:
Originally posted by 2ifbyC:
It still fries me that you have eat the return shipping.
If you return something to your local shop do they reimburse your gas?

I just consider it the price you have to pay for having gthe convenience of doing business on line. PayPal fees, ebay fees, return shipping fees, sure it costs you money. That's the price you pay. It's optional.
Apples and oranges - the item you purchased and decided not to keep versus the item that was misrepresented. :rolleyes:
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-04-05 1:31 PM (#422297 - in reply to #422280)

Maybe apples and oranges but I don't think having to pay return shipping is an unreasonable investment for the convenience of online buying and the ability to buy something, check it out (even if misrepresented) and return it. Sorry, that's just me. The good thing is that you got your money back.
Posted 2009-04-05 7:02 PM (#422298 - in reply to #422280)

Originally posted by sligoman:
What was the guy's feedback rating like? Negative feedback is usually not good for either party. But it's good the return system worked for you.

This is the description he posted with the serial number: " Ovation model 1621-4 S/N # 105227 acoustic / electric guitar, manufactured in New Hartford, Connecticut, USA in the mid-late '70's. This is a one owner guitar bought new in 1977 at Crazy Eddie's in NYC. It has not seen much use and is in like new condition, functionally and cosmetically. It has been stored away in a closet, in original case with guitar strings loosened and pickup battery removed. A new battery has just been installed and it sounds great. To repeat, this guitar is in perfect condition. The original hard case is included and will be used in shipping. Their are a few scuff marks on the outside of the hard case, otherwise nice. Please note that this is item is being sold all sales final, no return. Serious bidders only please. *** NO RESERVE AUCTION *** The buyer will not be disappointed - photos speak for themselves. If you are unsure, please ask any questions before you bid. We aim to please. This item ships professionally packed and insured."

20 bidders got sucked into this hype and clearly this would not have sold for $481.09 if the truth was told. The guitar played and sounded good but based on the crack should have maxed out at $300. The thing that bugs me the most is there were several guitars on ebay at the same time that I considered that were comparable or better instruments that I let go to bid on this "like new" item. Its not that I bought something and decided I didn't want it - its that I paid a premium for false advertising. And the huge waste of time and energy. And it hurts everyone. If you are researching prices and you see this one it throws the averages out of whack. Better days.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)