The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
PREAMP Retrofit?????

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

cichlidwater
Posted 2009-03-14 11:30 PM (#423183)
Subject: PREAMP Retrofit?????

I am a believer in the "Never a dumb question" rule. Has anyone here ever heard of or retrofitted the older square preamps to one of the newer Kidney shaped ones? An OP-50 lets say. I think there's a bigger diference in the newer frequency responses than in the older preamps?????

Today's phrase that pays is "NO PAIN - NO GAIN"

For all of you out there in guitarland. Not that it makes a bit of difference! Chris is leaving California for Miami In 2 days. Had a great visit to the San Fransisco - South Bay area. But im old school 305 and I'll feel much safer on my home turf, LOL!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-03-15 12:29 AM (#423184 - in reply to #423183)
Subject: Re: PREAMP Retrofit?????

The new preamps don't fit the old preamp holes. The factory won't do them. Either the bowl would need considerable work to build up open area around the newer preamp left by the old preamp, or a new bowl would be needed.....
MWoody
Posted 2009-03-15 1:49 AM (#423185 - in reply to #423183)

I have done others but here are some pics of an OP 30 into a 1115-4.

Pacemaker Plus
seesquare
Posted 2009-03-15 9:50 AM (#423186 - in reply to #423183)

Pardon me for interjecting an OT-
Michael, why did you cut a hole in the bowl of that 1115?
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2009-03-15 10:47 AM (#423187 - in reply to #423183)

Fine slothead Woody , real nice..Well Done.

V
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-03-15 11:33 AM (#423188 - in reply to #423183)

Originally posted by seesquare:
Pardon me for interjecting an OT-
Michael, why did you cut a hole in the bowl of that 1115?
Didn't anybody ever tell you about the cat?
MWoody
Posted 2009-03-15 12:24 PM (#423189 - in reply to #423183)

Yes, because I could!

Also because I have long fore arms...
PEZ
Posted 2009-03-15 4:30 PM (#423190 - in reply to #423183)

is there a sound fifference plugged in??
bauerhillboy
Posted 2009-03-15 4:33 PM (#423191 - in reply to #423183)

Back to the original question...

It's all about fiberglass work. If you're fairly good at it (or just brave) you can make the change you're suggesting.

1) Take out the old preamp, remove the retaining tabs on the inside, then close up the hole with a handy fiberglass repair. Now you have a bowl with no hole in it.

2) Cut the new hole needed for your new preamp, and install.

The tricky part that I think scares people is you have to make the finished bowl look like it came this way from the factory.

I had installed a small B-Band preamp in my 1115. Then I removed it and installed an OpPro. The small rectangular hole from the B-Band was about half inside the space where the new hole would be. You can see the repair if you pay any attention at all. I was neat, but I wasn't interested in doing a perfect; just a "pretty good" job. What you want to do is entirely possible, but it would fall more under the "labor of love" catagory than the "cost-effective" one needed for the factory to consider it.

John <>{
Northcountry
Posted 2009-03-15 5:19 PM (#423192 - in reply to #423183)

To help answer you qurstion; Actually many of the bowls have nothing to do with Fiberglass work, I could be wrong but I believe some early bowls were fiberglass and actually had a crisper sound to them. For most Ovations I have some two part resins that I would tint black and they ought to work quite well. Problem is there are guy's (like myself and others in the OFC) who can patch the hole and in the correct shape and correct exterior texture using molds made from other Ovations, and then recut the new hole and install the new elecronics. It is the time involved to get this change to look perfect that is the problem, it is not worth the price of the change. And no gaurantee it can be done without some blemish showing even with all that work. If I was to do this you'd have to pay the shipping both ways and at least $200 or so for all the time this would take. And that is cheap as I or anyone could easily put 20 hours into something like this. $10 per/hr for a luthier is pretty resonable. Just not worth it in my estimation. If you see my point. That is the problem with a lot of the fixes many great guitars need. The labor involved has to be accomplished by someone who does it as a labor of love. The owner is often the best choice for this sort of thing. Many good luthiers started because they wanted to fix their guitars and could not find the worth in sending them out.

Hope this helps. With the rectangular changes the OP 24+ is the best there is and it is not too bad. Even this took some modifications to get fitted I did it on the Adamas Mike has now from an OP24. Worth the effort.

Randy
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-03-15 5:45 PM (#423193 - in reply to #423183)

Originally posted by Northcountry:
$10 per/hr for a luthier is pretty resonable
That is a major understatement! It does come down to a 'labor of love' though...
bauerhillboy
Posted 2009-03-16 5:12 AM (#423194 - in reply to #423183)

You could see if the factory has any more Optima preamps. Everything you could want in a preamp...in rectangular form.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)