The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Beginner strings for a Balladeer S771

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Jim A
Posted 2009-03-13 4:36 PM (#423299)
Subject: Beginner strings for a Balladeer S771

Hi,

Glad to be here as a new member of the Fan Club and a new owner of an Ovation guitar.

I'm new to playing <1 month but having lots of fun with my kids. Just purchased a Ovation Balladeer S771 in terrific condition but in need of new strings. Can you suggest strings for a new student?

Thanks for your help and suggestions!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Auriemma
Posted 2009-03-13 4:47 PM (#423300 - in reply to #423299)
Subject: Re: Beginner strings for a Balladeer S771

Welcome to the asylum!

Balladeer... a nice O to start your collection. :)

Asking opinions about strings for YOUR guitar, will get you all kinds of responses since we all have different tastes.

I like Elixir Nanowebs 80/20 Phospur/Bronze in .010-.047 (Lights I think). That should be light enough for a student.
BT717
Posted 2009-03-13 5:31 PM (#423301 - in reply to #423299)

Jim,
Welcome and we all hope you stick around and learn from some great people here. Like auriemma says you will get MANY different responses. Strings are best choosen by trial and error. Most here have tried 7-10 different Makes of strings and Everyone here has there own preferences. Joe Likes Nanoweb EXtra lights I also like the Nanweb Lights (.012-.053 string diam or thickness) The best way is to try different types and find what you like in terms of Tone and feel. Elixirs are coated and will last up to 5 times longer,but, you pay 2-3 times as much. Many here Hate the feel and tone of coated strings and prefer uncoated that will cost 1/2 the price, have a completely different tone but won't last as long. I would suggest sticking with Xtra lights or Lights as it will be easier on you fingers and easier to fret chords.
Jim, where in Mass are you? I live in Vernon Ct.
FlySig
Posted 2009-03-13 5:39 PM (#423302 - in reply to #423299)

Lots of different opinions on strings! The gold standard for sound, for me, are the Martin Marquis Phosphor-Bronze in light gauge. But there are a lot of good sounding strings out there. The Elixir Nanos are super on my electric guitar but I haven't tried them yet on the acoustic.

You could try extra-light for the first few months as your fingers build strength and calluses. But the tone is likely to be better with light gauge, .12 for the thinnest string. Mediums, or .13's, might sound a bit fuller but they are a lot harder to play.

We seem to buy several different brands and compare them, and then try several more. In general, the coated strings sound a bit dull but last a lot longer. The ClearTone phos/bronze sounded best to me of the coated strings we tried, though we haven't tried the nano yet. I prefer the sound of non-coated on my acoustics.

Finding the perfect string? Probably no such animal. But there are a lot of good strings out there. Just try a variety to see what you prefer on your guitar.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2009-03-13 5:47 PM (#423303 - in reply to #423299)

I usually recommend Silk & Steel strings for new players.

Welcome to the OFC Jim.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-03-13 5:49 PM (#423304 - in reply to #423299)

Welcome Jim! S771's are Great guitars (note to self- get another S771)

New Ovations usually come with .012 - .053...
I recommend D'Addario EJ16. The next step lighter is D'Addario EJ15. (.010 - .047... I THINK)
The EJ's won't last as long as EXP's or Nanoweb or whatever.
But they should be less than $10 depending on where you get them.
(My music store tried to charge me $11 once, I told him I get 'em online for $5, or three packs and a tuner for $18... we compromised at $7)
Get the cheaper strings, then you won't care when you decide to change them of another gauge.
Jim A
Posted 2009-03-13 8:38 PM (#423305 - in reply to #423299)

Thanks for the welcome messages and advice on strings, sounds like a trial and error process to say the least. Starting light is a great suggestion. Hoping to explore this site a little more in the days and weeks ahead.

I was just in New Haven, CT earlier in the week on business and learned from some of the locals Ovation is no longer manufacturing US instruments in CT. Being so new to Ovation guitars makes all this history facinating. Does Ovation have any presence in CT these days?
G8r
Posted 2009-03-13 11:56 PM (#423306 - in reply to #423299)

Originally posted by Jim A:
I was just in New Haven, CT earlier in the week on business and learned from some of the locals Ovation is no longer manufacturing US instruments in CT. Being so new to Ovation guitars makes all this history facinating. Does Ovation have any presence in CT these days?
Welcome, Jim. Good advice on strings already given - try out several until you find what you like.

As far as your being told that Ovation aren't making guitars in the US, you've been given wrong information. Some of their lower-priced models that were, up until last year, being made in CT (Balladeer, Elite T, and Standard Elite) are now being made overseas. The higher-end wood tops (Legend/Custom Legend/Al DiMeola, Elite LX, Custom Elite) and the carbon fiber-top Adamas line are still being made in the CT factory, as are now Guild guitars.

I find it incredible that such rumors are circulating even in New Hartford. That's the kind of ignorant, uninformed crap that was flying on some of the other guitar boards when Fender first announced its buyout of Kaman Music.
PEZ
Posted 2009-03-14 12:51 AM (#423307 - in reply to #423299)

I still think nothing sounds better than Adamas 1818
strings. .012 to .053. on any roundback.
No coating, no 1/2 dead sound.
Plus they are cheap to buy.
Yak
Posted 2009-03-14 3:18 AM (#423308 - in reply to #423299)

Originally posted by Old Man Arthur:
Welcome Jim! S771's are Great guitars (note to self- get another S771)

New Ovations usually come with .012 - .053...
I recommend D'Addario EJ16. The next step lighter is D'Addario EJ15. (.010 - .047... I THINK)
The next step down would be the 11's. EJ26's in the D'addario brand. I like the Dean Markley Alchemy in 11-52.
rededdie
Posted 2009-03-14 12:20 PM (#423309 - in reply to #423299)

Hey Jim, welcome
I agree with G8r, "good advice on strings already given"
But I'm amazed that no one has turned you on to colored string tubes yet...much easier on the
non- calloused fingers.
FlySig
Posted 2009-03-14 12:52 PM (#423310 - in reply to #423299)

Originally posted by rededdie:

But I'm amazed that no one has turned you on to colored string tubes yet...
Here ya go

Concord CAAC22
Replacement String Tube

A heavy-duty string tube with vinyl plugs. Very well made.

Also available with cork plugs

;)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)