The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OP-Pro Studio and the Fishman SoloAmp

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

wilblee
Posted 2009-03-13 3:06 PM (#423319)
Subject: OP-Pro Studio and the Fishman SoloAmp

After reading about the OP-Pro Studio preamp on this forum for a while, I decided to get one and try it out. I've read, on more than one occasion, about VIP vs. OPPS with strong adherents for the OPPS (and strong adherents for the sound of the VIP, myself being one of them. No one, that I read, is unqualified about the VIP because of that unfortunate need to plug it in to use the tuner). I've got a couple of O's with VIP's but have not had a chance, before now, of playing using an OPPPS. So, I contacted Al, got a good price (is that redundant?) and bought the OPPPPS from him. It came in this past Monday and since then I have tried in my 06C, 07C and my 6756LX. My intial reaction was that he VIP was more natural sounding, while the OPPPPPS was more in-your-face. On the SoloAmp and through my studio monitors (Mackie HR824's) the VIP sounded more like the unplugged guitar made louder while the OPPPPPPS was my guitar on steroids, blood doped and using amphetamines. I knew, however, that I was comparing the VIP which I had had for years and had dialed-in to the OPPS which I had had for a couple of hours. After spending the week with it I have now dialed-in a tone that is more what I'm looking for. It's not the VIP, but was it worse or better?

At the risk of totally wimping out, it was neither. They are both excellent tools, which I will use extensively. For instance, playing live in a band of mixed instruments, I would reach for the OPPS, playing in an acoustic duo or solo I would go for the VIP. If I was recording I would probably start with the VIP, but I would have the OPPS on hand.

If I had to choose just one I'd lean towards the OPPS, becuase it does everything well, but I would miss the VIP (a lot) for the things that it does very well.

As for the on-board tuners, both are imperfect. Yes, you need to plug in the VIP to use the tuner, but once it's plugged in, when you turn it on it mutes the guitar and stays on until you've finished tuning. The tuner on the OPPS doesn't need to be plugged in, but once it's plugged in, when you turn it on it mutes the guitar and stays on until it decides to turn itself off and unmute the guitar. Maybe you're finished tuning, maybe you're not. If you're tuning a 12 string, you're probably not - and suddenly, instead of [relatively] silently tuning, you're sharing those two discordant B strings with your audience. Or maybe you're tuning a 6 string and you get finished. Now you have to wait until the thing turns itself off to start playing. Over all, I prefer the VIP tuner (never, ever thought I'd say that).

Now, the Fishman SoloAmp.

First off, let me say that I have owned and extensively used a Marshall AS100D, a Roland KC500 (a powerful and great-sounding keyboard amp that works great for AC/EL guitars as well) and a Bose PAS (with two subs). I have also played through the Roland AC-60 and the Fishman Loudbox 100 and Performer. I have also auditioned I-don't-know-how-many Fender, Crate, Ibanez, GB, Trace Elliot, etc. acoustic amps.

The Fishman SoloAmp is, in my humble yet accurate opinion, the finest amp on the planet for the solo artist - bar none. Don't get me wrong. I'm not selling my Bose. It is still the best sounding amp I own and, unlike the SoloAmp, it will effortlessly handle my electric rig and my keyboard rig. But for a guy doing a small to medium sized venue with a mic and a guitar, this thing can't be beat. It sounds spectacular, sets up in no time and can come in on the same trip as your guitar and gig bag. The Bose, in comparison, takes two trips by itself and takes 2 to 3 times as long to set up. As for controls, inputs, outputs, etc. I'll leave that to you to look up on the web. But, did I mention that this thing sounds spectacular? Crisp and clean, without being harsh or strident. While it has nothing like the low end of the Bose with it's two subs or the KC-500 with it's 15 in. driver, it has more than enough oomph to accurately present your guitar and your voice without sounding like anything has been left out. It really is fantastic.

Recommendations - If you don't have an OP-Pro Studio preamp and you do have an O that it would fit into (If you have an O with an OP-Pro or a VIP preamp then this will pop right in) and you have the scratch, call Al and get one. You'll be glad you did.

As for the Fishman SoloAmp. Sell who you have to sell, kill what you have to kill and get one of these. I've already sold enough to more than cover the one I've got and I'm thinking on selling more in order to get another one (I think it would be killer to take two on stage and run in stereo). But one, two or five, if you're performing live at all, you owe it to yourself to get one of these.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stephent28
Posted 2009-03-13 3:36 PM (#423320 - in reply to #423319)
Subject: Re: OP-Pro Studio and the Fishman SoloAmp

Did you compare the Fishman Solo to the AAD Cub or SuperCub?
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-03-13 3:45 PM (#423321 - in reply to #423319)

Thanks for the reviews. Personally speaking, with the overall quality, convenience and inexpensive cost of outboard tuners these days, I can't imagine myself ever using any of those built into the Ovation preamps.
dweezil
Posted 2009-03-13 4:00 PM (#423322 - in reply to #423319)

Nice review. Like you said (I think) it's horses for courses.

For me and my requirements the OOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS into the AAD CUB exceeds my expectations and pleases my ears.
wilblee
Posted 2009-03-13 5:59 PM (#423323 - in reply to #423319)

originally posted by stephent28:
Did you compare the Fishman Solo to the AAD Cub or SuperCub?
No, but neither the Cub nor the Supercub are, if I understand them correctly, voiced for vocals. I know you can hook a mic to the Supercub, but that's not what the channel was designed for, again according to what I've read. The SoloAmp, on the other hand has hookups for two guitars and two mics, with each performer getting their own FX loops and DI outs. The SoloAmp also comes with it's own stand and a wheeled carry bag (important to the bad back crowd, of which I am a charter member). Plus it costs less.

As I remember the one time I heard one, the AAD Cub sounded great (I've never heard a Supercub). I don't remember being as impressed with it as I was the 1st time I heard the SoloAmp, but really that is meaningless. Too many factors involved in trying to compare a fairly distant memory to a not-so distant memory and especially to present experience.

originally posted by dweezil:
...it's horses for courses
Exactly so.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-03-13 6:22 PM (#423324 - in reply to #423319)

I've read the first post in this thread a few times, trying to identify a salient point or purpose, and gave up. Sorry, you lost me. Try again.
dweezil
Posted 2009-03-13 6:49 PM (#423325 - in reply to #423319)

You tell it like it is Paul, and I admire you for that.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-03-13 9:04 PM (#423326 - in reply to #423319)

Originally posted by dweezil:
You tell it like it is Paul, and I admire you for that.
Don't be nice to him. It just encourages him.....
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-03-13 9:38 PM (#423327 - in reply to #423319)

wilblee,

Thanx for the comparison!
wilblee
Posted 2009-03-13 10:56 PM (#423328 - in reply to #423319)

Iffy, you're welcome.

Paul, these threads are supposed to have salient points? If you say so. I have read and enjoyed any number of threads by folks here, sharing their enjoyment of recent purchases. I guess mine failed the saliency criteria.

My contribution to the on-again-off-again VIP vs. OP-Pro Studio discussion, now that I have both on hand, is that I find both to be fine preamps with differing strengths. The VIP has a more natural sound while the OPPS is well suited to cutting through a live multi-instrument mix. Aa a primarily plugged-in player, I prefer the tuner on the VIP. Salient? Perhaps not, given all that's been said before.

B. The Fishman SoloAmp is a great amp. I love mine and encourage anybody who performs solo/duo to get one. This one I think is salient, given that many people here have repeatedly asked about good acoustic amps and I feel I've found a great performer at a reasonable price.

Of course, YMMV.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-03-14 6:41 AM (#423329 - in reply to #423319)

Much clearer. There, that wasn't difficult now, was it?

I agree with you about the VIP, it's great for solo guitar and backing vocals, but it's not good in a mix
dweezil
Posted 2009-03-14 6:59 AM (#423330 - in reply to #423319)

;)
wilblee
Posted 2009-03-14 11:41 AM (#423331 - in reply to #423319)

originally posted by Paul Templeman:
Much clearer. There, that wasn't difficult now, was it?
No problem. Always willing to dumb it down where required.
dobro
Posted 2009-03-14 2:02 PM (#423332 - in reply to #423319)

Great review wilbliee.

At every gig I have BOTH: the Bose L1 plus a Fishman Loudbox 100. I agree about the Fishman and I use is as a monitor since I am usually rather far from the other Ovation in the band, separated by a battery of percussion. Emphasis on "battery"!
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-03-14 2:33 PM (#423333 - in reply to #423319)

Originally posted by wilblee:
Always willing...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)