The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Tuner Identification

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Mitzdawg
Posted 2009-03-12 9:46 AM (#423747)
Subject: Tuner Identification

I have a favor to ask - could someone who has a spiffy camera and the chutzpah to use it take photos of the different types and sizes of tuners used on Ovation/Adamas/Celebs/Applause/Academy guitars.

It would be really nice to be able to hold up the UFOs that I have and compare them to a pic, and be able to identify them. They would make a nice reference document.

Thank you!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-03-12 1:06 PM (#423748 - in reply to #423747)
Subject: Re: Tuner Identification

You should have asked this before I got rid of almost all my roundback guitars. I'm sure I had at least one of almost every Ovation tuner style.

I guess to start, does anyone know if Ovation ever used anything OTHER than Grover, Kluson, Ping, Sperzel or Schaller ???
ksdaddy
Posted 2009-03-12 1:15 PM (#423749 - in reply to #423747)

The Moosup Applauses I've owned have had cheesy closed back awful tuners, something you'd expect to find on a Memphis Les Paul copy from about 1975. My Academy has open back strip tuners, very generic. My 1969 1115 has open back strip tuners, no idea who might have made them.
Charlie Ramon
Posted 2009-03-12 1:38 PM (#423750 - in reply to #423747)

Here is a picture of original Josh White, Classic and Contemporary Folk Classic tuners:

The gravure says "Germany" so my first idea was that these are Schallers. As the Schaller factory is next door I asked the plant manager there if the tuners were made by them back in the 60s. They were NOT but he was quite sure they were made by Alexander Kolb, another German hardware manufacturer back then. This company is long gone. We can add Kolb to Dave's list.

Karl
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)