The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
We'll all be rooned (or will we?)

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

TAFKAR
Posted 2009-03-11 3:44 AM (#423939)
Subject: We'll all be rooned (or will we?)

When it was announced that Ovation was moving the manufacture of standard elites and balladeers offshore many were worrying that this was the beginning of the end for affordable quality Ovations.

I went into my local music store today and saw seven (7!!!) Ovations. By way of comparison, I've never seen more than two at once there ever, and sometimes they've had none.

They had an elite T, standard elite with in-laid epis, standard balladeer, a Seven, and three different types of celebrity (centre hole, epis and a solid top classical). The most expensive (balladeer & standard elite) were under $A1900 (about $US1200) which is way cheaper than before, even though the Aussie dollar has collapsed in the last year from 95 to 64 cents US.

I played the elite T and it seemed no different to a US made one I played years ago and was well set up. (Did the US elite Ts have the plugs in the bridge or were they attached like the more expensive Ovations?)

This move might actually get more Ovations into the hands of ordinary guitarists across the world. Several had the ubiquitous "Do not handle without talking to staff" labels, which indicates a quality guitar.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-03-11 4:33 AM (#423940 - in reply to #423939)
Subject: Re: We'll all be rooned (or will we?)

Now ya' made me hafta go LOOK! (again)
None of my USA T's have 'plugs' or bolts.
I couldn't remember if my older 1778T had black plugs, but No it don't.
My newer Sweet T (2078T) and 2058T (12-string) don't have plugs.
I didn't even notice that the TX's had plugs until you mentioned it.
But the real question is... How do they Sound?

When I first read that you saw seven...

I thought... Oh well. ;)
an4340
Posted 2009-03-11 11:15 AM (#423941 - in reply to #423939)

Actually moving more ovations into guitarists hands around the world seems to be happening. When I was in Hong Kong in January and February (I happened to be on the same flight as David Byrne, which explained why I no problem getting my guitar on the plane (Cathay Pacific by the way)) and I saw in Tommy Lee's more ovations there than I did three years ago.

They've also, as I recall moved the ovations up a notch in the display area. There was a room for the Martins and high end stuff, then there was room for taks, taylors and ovations, and then another area for the rest.
FlySig
Posted 2009-03-11 2:23 PM (#423942 - in reply to #423939)

Our local GC has had a steadily declining supply of O's. Now they're down to one used Balladeer and two Celebrities.

But the good news is that the high end room is now 2/3 Taylor. :rolleyes:
Oddball
Posted 2009-03-11 4:52 PM (#423943 - in reply to #423939)

I've never quite understood the stigma of 'made overseas'. Given the same tonewood (and solid, not ply), same bowl, same electronics, same or similar neck, same bracing — I don't see why a foreign-made O couldn't sound every bit as good as an American-made one. And since they're cheaper to make, and Fender (presumably) has put the power of their marketing behind this whole project, I'm looking forward to seeing more Os in stores. Hasn't happened at my local GC yet, but the year is still young.
Slipkid
Posted 2009-03-11 5:16 PM (#423944 - in reply to #423939)

Until recent times all off-shore Ovations had laminate tops. With that changing the differences will be fewer.
I have come across quite a few Celebs with some probems you would not find on a U.S. model. Things such as fret edges that if you weren't careful, would take out a chunk of skin. Of course all this could change.
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-03-11 5:51 PM (#423945 - in reply to #423939)

I only feel bad about Ovation moving production overseas if it costs people in New Hartford their jobs.

Quality has never been a strong point of USA ovations, so maybe adopting some asian influence will help that. The reason Celebrity has sucked so bad for years is because of the shitty design. If they give the asians a good design, like the balladeer and the standard elite, I bet they can bang out a first rate product and put higher quality guitars into more peoples hands. How is that a bad thing?

Viva la Seoul !!!
Tommy M.
Posted 2009-03-11 8:04 PM (#423946 - in reply to #423939)

After a trip to GC today, I was a bit disappointed to see 4 celebs and not one USA O.
The factory tours have reinforced the workmanship quality on my O's. I still have a tough time equating the celebs with an Ovation.
twistedlim
Posted 2009-03-13 2:05 PM (#423947 - in reply to #423939)

I just got back from a local store and they were deep discounting all the american (LX I believe) models. There was a 2771XL and a couple of others going from the High $600s to the mid $700.00s. The salesman said they were to clear out all the american made stuff. Does this sound right. One guy had 3 on hold! I dnot know if these are good prices as I have not been in the market for a new guitar for quite some time.
It would be a shame to put the american made products out of business regardless of the cost. Who will we turn to, where will we go? Will the mothership turn into a Kia Sedona? :)
Slipkid
Posted 2009-03-13 2:11 PM (#423948 - in reply to #423939)

Yeah Rich... I think those are pretty good prices.
I almost bought an Elite LX model when they first came out. As I recall the out-the-door price would have been over 1k.
I ended up with an AD-II instead.
twistedlim
Posted 2009-03-13 2:23 PM (#423949 - in reply to #423939)

Brad,

The place is Motor City Guitar in Waterford if you ever get by there. I cannot be sure of exactly what models they had but 3 were contour bowl LXs. The ADII was full price ( somewhat discounted)
Slipkid
Posted 2009-03-13 3:12 PM (#423950 - in reply to #423939)

Yes Rich.. I have been there, but not recently.
It's a nice store.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)