The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Elite Custom has re-vitalized my interest

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Hossman21
Posted 2009-03-10 12:11 AM (#424087)
Subject: Elite Custom has re-vitalized my interest

OK, here is my story. My recent story, that is.

I have an 11 year old son who is in the sixth grade. He is a straight A student in the talented and gifted program at his middle school. I began teaching him the guitar probably around 8 years of age. He was a quick learner for his age. Around the time he was 9 years, his interest really picked up as did his abilities. At the end of the fifth grade he tried out for his school talent show. A show dominated mostly by sixth and seventh graders. The little s__t took the stage all by himself, with the fender acoustic/electric guitar that he bought with his own money, and brought down the house with his rendition of Kansas' Dust in the Wind. (No small feat for a 10 year old) Afterwards, the school music director found me and asked who his guitar teacher was. I replied that I taught him. She advised me to teach him for as long as I could, and then to make sure that I brought him to a professional teacher because he was a gifted guitar player. This is a woman who does not throw around idle praise. I have to admit that I was very pleased and proud of my little guy. Well I continued to teach him over the summer and it soon became apparent that I was at my limits of advancing his skills. So I began taking him to a guitar instructor. This fellow happens to teach at Daddy's Junky Music. I always sit in on the lessons in the hopes of learning something new myself and improving my own abilities. It has been a lot of fun and my own interest in playing the guitar was reborn. One thing led to another and I ended up selling my Elite Special and my Kramer Focus in order to finance my new Elite Custom. I brought it home Saturday night. I have played it daily since. I just finished playing for the last 3 1/2 hours. My daughter was getting ready to go to bed, but I kept playing the old songs that I haven't played in many years. Some songs I forgot I knew and they just came back as I continued to play. Words and everything. Man was that satisfying. I have been learning newer more relevant music that the younger folks will be familiar with also. That is fun too.I am even considering getting back into a band. Haven't done that since the early 80s. My wife is even supportive of the idea. I find myself researching p.a. systems and microphones and such. Crazy.
I love this Elite Custom. It plays wonderfully and I even am having luck with some bar chords that were dead before ringing true now. I don't know if its the guitar or my practicing. I was playing my old Celebrity while I waited for weeks to get the money to take the Custom home from Daddy's and the bar chords were not as clear on that one.

Anyways, I feel like a kid again. It felt so good playing those songs for my daughter. I really got into some of them. Old simple stuff like Bob Seger (Segar?)and America. Now if I can just memorize the words to the newer stuff. Some songs today have sooo many words.

Thats all for now. Thanks you guys for helping to excite me about Ovations and playing music in general. I hope to get way better than I was before. Hell, I am only 43. Lots of time, huh?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
CrimsonLake
Posted 2009-03-10 12:20 AM (#424088 - in reply to #424087)
Subject: Re: Elite Custom has re-vitalized my interest

Originally posted by Hossman21:
The little s__t took the stage all by himself with the fender acoustic/electric guitar that he bought with his own money, and brought down the house with his rendition of Kansas' Dust in the Wind.
Hoss - change fender to Ovation and "Dust in the Wind" to "Don't Fear The Reaper" and that is exactly how I felt about my son at one of the Southern Jams. I don't know about you, but I was scared to death when he jumped up there alone!

Very similar story - my son was a little younger, but hasn't progressed nearly as much. He still plays, but stopped lessons for a bit. He'll be starting up again soon.
Hossman21
Posted 2009-03-10 12:30 AM (#424089 - in reply to #424087)

Yeah Crimson, I was skeert alright. How will he do? Will he forget the words? Will he get stage fright? First time on the stage, all alone with the spotlight blinding you of the audience. Scary stuff for a man.

Afterwards, he was requested to play Dust so many times by friends and family that he hates to play it now.

Kids. . .
BT717
Posted 2009-03-10 10:47 AM (#424090 - in reply to #424087)

Great story Hossman!!! I think I can speak for most here that we are Happy for you!!
bcoombs
Posted 2009-03-10 12:42 PM (#424091 - in reply to #424087)

Very cool story. Good for you and your son.
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-12 9:31 PM (#424092 - in reply to #424087)

Originally posted by BT717:
Great story Hossman!!! I think I can speak for most here that we are Happy for you!!
Amen!!! GREAT story!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)