The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
For the Old Guys: Would You Do It Again?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

2ifbyC
Posted 2009-03-07 10:11 PM (#424478 - in reply to #424453)
Subject: Re: For the Old Guys: Would You Do It Again?

Hello, I'm Iffy. I have a terminal case of SAADD, Senior Adult Attention Deficit Disorder! As much as I LOVE music, when it comes down to teaching myself via YT, tabs et al, I truly get distracted by the next favorite I see/hear.

Additionally, I have ol' songs that float through my head and then I compromise the tune to match my PP playing.

But ya know what? It's all a hoot! And that's not even counting this wonderful 'O' family!

BTW, it's not where/when ya start. It's where ya wind up!

"Hi Iffy. You're strange!"
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2009-03-07 11:40 PM (#424479 - in reply to #424453)

I wish I had the attitude I got about learning how to play now, then.
FlySig
Posted 2009-03-08 10:11 AM (#424480 - in reply to #424453)

Originally posted by Beal:
I wish I had the attitude I got about learning how to play now, then.
I think that really says it all.
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-03-08 10:48 AM (#424481 - in reply to #424453)

Agree with Bill. Typical conversation:

"So how long you been playing guitar"
35 years.

"You must be really good"
Yeah, really good at Book 1.
Northcountry
Posted 2009-03-08 11:15 AM (#424482 - in reply to #424453)

It is amazing to be able to prove that an old dog can learn new tricks. I never learned to read, I know almost nothing about theory or what progressions are supposed to happen. I can't say that this has helped me in fact it must be a terrible weakness but my "play by ear" skills have come so far I can learn almost aything now and find the odd arraingments of what position they play a chord on the neck with or without the open stings etc. And my ability to play and sing has advanced temendously with the solo work.
This is not just age but time spent, This is the sad part of dropping out of music for so long. I now see where I would have been musically 15 year ago. Ohh well, it is what it is.....
Darkbar
Posted 2009-03-08 11:40 AM (#424483 - in reply to #424453)

Originally posted by Northcountry:
I never learned to read, I know almost nothing about theory or what progressions are supposed to happen. I can't say that this has helped me in fact it must be a terrible weakness but my "play by ear" skills have come so far I can learn almost aything now and find the odd arraingments of what position they play a chord on the neck with or without the open stings etc. And my ability to play and sing has advanced temendously with the solo work.
You sound exactly like me, NC. I'm not as good as some, but I'm better than a lot of people I've heard that have taken years of lessons. Of course, their advantage is they know what an Ebmaj7-9 is, where I have to look up pictures in a book.
Well, let's hear some of your stuff. g8r and I are going to get together and record some stuff and post it to the site (right, g8r?), so let's hear some others.
FlySig
Posted 2009-03-08 6:09 PM (#424484 - in reply to #424453)

If you dare, a lot of my stuff is up on the band myspace or over at soundclick.com/zozobra. With luck there will be better stuff before long.
an4340
Posted 2009-03-08 9:46 PM (#424485 - in reply to #424453)

There are old guys here?
standing
Posted 2009-03-08 11:47 PM (#424486 - in reply to #424453)

Originally posted by an4340:
There are old guys here?
I think there are, but I can't remember…
alpep
Posted 2009-03-09 9:02 AM (#424487 - in reply to #424453)

althouugh I love the guitar I realize that I would have made more cash and be more valuable as a musician if I learned sax or keys

but I love playing guitar

so be it
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-09 11:00 AM (#424488 - in reply to #424453)

Yep. Love it... There is very little more relaxing -- hypnosis-inducing almost! -- than just sitting down with the guitar, hitting a note and seeing where it takes you.

It would be nice to play with others a lot more, but there can be pressures that make a lot of it seem like work. Not a problem if that's the goal -- in fact, it's nice to know that to produce a well-oiled collaboration with several other musicians IS a lot of mental and sometimes physical work -- but lots of times, I just want to relax.

It never fails me nowadays. I used to fail me, back when I wanted to play like John McLaughlin...but that was my own fault. Nowadays, it's always satisfying.
seesquare
Posted 2009-03-09 1:33 PM (#424489 - in reply to #424453)

This continues to be my 1st "serious" attempt. I gotta practice more often, instead of fixing crippled critters, though. Almost 10 years have elapsed already.
Yes, it is therapeutic, and yes, I should seek out more musical collaboration activities.
GaryB
Posted 2009-03-09 1:54 PM (#424490 - in reply to #424453)

Wow..at 58, I guess I'm in the old guy category. No question about learning the guitar all over. I first started at about age 9. The guitar has made me friends, comforted me in tough times, gotten me la.., uh..helped me relate to the opposite sex :p ...helped me woo my wife, and pretty much kept me sane (that one's debatable... :eek: ). I've been in bands with it, played for family and friends, written songs. I guess I'll always be learning.

The only times I've been without it, were in the military, and one other time, for about 6 months when I injured my hand. Both times I felt like I was without my best friend.

So..yeah, I'd do it all over again..and again.

Gary
beatlejuice53
Posted 2009-03-09 2:32 PM (#424491 - in reply to #424453)

There are times I wish I hadn't. Over the last 45 years, music has cost me a small fortune and given me more disappointments than I can count. Have found musicians to be,for the most point unreliable, dishonest and egotistical. of course there are exceptions to the rule. After 45 of my 56 years and having had over 100 guitars, would I do it again? Yea, probably. I still love playing. Being on boards like this and seeing what goes on here, has given me hope. The people on this board have done some things that I find absolutely amazing.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-03-09 2:44 PM (#424492 - in reply to #424453)

My brother was in a band with various permutations for about 8 years. He regularly called me with a problem about someone stealing equipment, stiffing him on payment, etc. The only good advice I gave him was to quit dealing with those people.
Lately, I've been looking for musicians to jam with. After reading the posts on Craigslist, I've decided I'm just fine playing with myself in the basement (have at it, Jeff). Those guys complain about everything, although just because they post on Craigslist under Musicians, I can't assume they are musicians.
ladylaw
Posted 2009-03-09 3:13 PM (#424493 - in reply to #424453)

Originally posted by Gallerinski:
Agree with Bill. Typical conversation:

"So how long you been playing guitar"
35 years.

"You must be really good"
Yeah, really good at Book 1.
So there really is someone else like me. I keep tellin' them, but they ain't listening. :D
seesquare
Posted 2009-03-09 3:41 PM (#424494 - in reply to #424453)

I still have problems combining "fun", with "diligent". And, at 56, I doubt my dexterity will make large improvements. Just gotta choose carefully which notes to play, within my capabilities.
Losov
Posted 2009-03-10 8:14 PM (#424495 - in reply to #424453)

Reason I asked is, well I guess I'm in the minority. I wouldn't do it again.
flackster
Posted 2009-03-10 8:32 PM (#424496 - in reply to #424453)

Originally posted by BT717:
The question for me should be: Should I have started sooner? The answer is still, YES. Always wanted to but didn't start until I was 46.
Mark me down for starting at 52, I never knew how to start.
TAFKAR
Posted 2009-03-10 9:22 PM (#424497 - in reply to #424453)

Originally posted by Losov:
Reason I asked is, well I guess I'm in the minority. I wouldn't do it again.
Losov, why is that? Like many others here I didn't play at all for about 20 years and have never made a cent (alright I made about $10 busking) from it, have spent a small fortune on it and love it.

For me, I just love the ability to work on a song and eventually be able to play something that resembles songs I've listened to over the years.

If you couldn't play guitar how would your life be better now OR if you'd spent the time on something else, what would that have been?
worshipleader
Posted 2009-03-11 8:35 AM (#424498 - in reply to #424453)

Yeah, I'd do it again in a minute, and I too wouldn't have given it up for 20 years before picking it up again. It would be sooooo much easier to train young fingers to do all those scales ;) At this stage of my life (53) I don't know what I'd do without the guitars... to accompany my attempts to vocalize, and keep me company when I need a bud and none are around, to bring life to the joys and sadnesses that come in life. The guitar has opened doors to develop some amazing and rich relationships with people that I never would have had without it. Yep, I'd do it again in a minute :)
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-03-11 11:33 AM (#424499 - in reply to #424453)

Perceptions can change when a group plays as an avocation rather than a vocation. There may very well be financial remuneration, but the primary motivation and reward for one's lifelong passion in a particular interest (ours just happens to be guitars) is intrinsic, not profit. Should there be any realization of profit, then all the better, but this is secondary.
deadfish
Posted 2009-03-11 12:33 PM (#424500 - in reply to #424453)

Originally posted by darkbarguitar:
today, in about one hour I could be a "Guitar Hero" on a Wii, the effort hardly seems worth it.
I love it...My "Drummer" (read...daughter!)is home from collge this week. Guess who'll be rock'n out on the plastic guitar all week! (and no blisters!!!)

Seriously...I don't regret putting it away for so many years...it's not like I wasted the time away...(Joined the Guards, started a family, built a house, took up Karate, found a decent job that I'm good at...got my daughter into college, rebuilt a Harley, did lots of fishing, etc...) Now I have the time and ambition to pick it up again...life's a cycle...

Rick C.
wilblee
Posted 2009-03-11 12:35 PM (#424501 - in reply to #424453)

I can't imagine not learning to play. There have been times when I didn't play, but there were never times when I didn't want to know how.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2009-03-11 1:05 PM (#424502 - in reply to #424453)

Originally posted by TAFKAR:

For me, I just love the ability to work on a song and eventually be able to play something that resembles songs I've listened to over the years.

If you couldn't play guitar how would your life be better now OR if you'd spent the time on something else, what would that have been?
Also

Originally posted by AlanM:
Yep. Love it... There is very little more relaxing -- hypnosis-inducing almost! -- than just sitting down with the guitar, hitting a note and seeing where it takes you.
Good points. I guess there are more than one of us that don't have the "There is very little more relaxing -- hypnosis-inducing " gene. I don't think I never had it. I didn't take my first lessons by choice... unless you consider "it's piano or guitar" a choice. I tried piano, but after two years (yes I was 4 when I started) the piano teacher recommended guitar so that should tell ya something.

I took my first guitar lesson when I was 6. I too get the inevitable "wow you must be great" especially after they see more guitars in my closet than in many music stores. At most, when I was playing, I was adequate. As I didn't have a choice to learn, I tried to have fun with it. I did a talent show when I was 11 and purposely played a rocked up version of This Land is Your Land with a Hank Williams guitar riff in it for the lead. I did it just to piss off my old music teacher who was one of the judges. I took 2nd place. When I was 16 I got my first paying gig at a summer resort party. That's when I realized I could, with minimal effort play in a band which was fun, and make a few bucks too.

I had an odd childhood in general, so playing in a band, had the reward of interaction and making music with others was/is fun.

I truly admire many folks here for their sheer ability to just enjoy the sound that's coming out of their guitar when they play it.

"If you couldn't play guitar how would your life be better now OR if you'd spent the time on something else, what would that have been?"

I don't think it would have been better or worse, and have no idea what else I would have spent time on.

The more I think about a "do over"... while once I was involved in music and playing guitar I would have just listened to my desires and become a professional musician... But in a real do-over, I may never have been forced to start playing in the first place and I doubt I would have ended up playing on my own.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)