The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Show report and pics. Not dial up friendly!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

FlySig
Posted 2009-03-01 3:03 PM (#425772)
Subject: Show report and pics. Not dial up friendly!

We all survived the show, and made $350 for the charity, so it is declared a success. Somehow the promotional efforts worked and the house was filled. I played two songs on the Ovation 2007 Collectors with OpPro Studio, and 7 songs on the Hamer Newport.

There were a few mis-steps here and there, and a couple of major crash and burns by the drummer. The kids certainly learned some lessons about the importance of rehearsal and the reality of performing a full set on stage. Our trademark has been that we can put together a decent cover with only a couple of quick rehearsals and then perform it in front of the church. But, doing nine songs in a 45 minute set takes more work and dedication to be rehearsed as a cohesive band.

Three of the songs had fairly intricate lead guitar parts, which is a challenge for me. I've learned to be pretty good over the past couple of years, but it still takes work. The drummer and/or the vocalists kept speeding up the songs and by the time we got to the solos the tempo was challengingly quick! Between the normal nervousness and the higher than normal pace, the strings sure felt twice as high off of the fretboard.

Without further ado...

Radical Grace Band, minus Sara who didn't play keyboards on this particular song. That's me on the left playing the Hamer Newport, my son on violin, Eryn who is a senior in high school and does killer vocals, Bryce on drums, Gregg the other adult member and the father of Bryce, and Matt on bass.

Me and my son

Sara on her Red Flame T

Sara on the left and Matt on the right, joined a trio called ByNow on one song.

Sara and Rachel. Tell me you don't love bassists...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BT717
Posted 2009-03-01 3:13 PM (#425773 - in reply to #425772)
Subject: Re: Show report and pics. Not dial up friendly!

Nice FlySig!!!
bvince
Posted 2009-03-01 3:45 PM (#425774 - in reply to #425772)

Good Job FlySig. I can definitely sympathize with all the challenges you face, after leading a totally restructured team from totally traditional to a contemporary group. I had a drummer who would take virtually every song and speed it up to a point where it was impossible to play. With a broad-based volunteer group with limited voulunteers, a lot of tough choices had to be made, and being tactful was often a challenge in itself. The way I dealt with speed/timing was the introduction of a metronome. Also effective was recording the set and playing it back to everyone, then playing the songs from the original performer's CDs. When they first heard the difference the response was "WOW ... we really suck!" Then we were able to work through the problem areas. Getting everyone's mindsets and hearts right, and knitting together their respective PARTS smoothed everything over to where we could finally get our "groove" One of many good resources you may want to check out is leadworship.com. There is a really good worship team video there that deals with the topic of working together.
FlySig
Posted 2009-03-01 4:06 PM (#425775 - in reply to #425772)

Vince, thanks. I came into this band as a guest guitarist for one song and then was asked to be a permanent member. But Gregg is the named music director. The church has a pretty strict chain of command which requires Gregg to be the contact with management.

Which all results in me not being in a position of power. I have to approach things as another band member, providing information or opinion but not as providing direction.

I like your idea of playing back the recordings. We have raw channel tracks from last night which I have to edit together.

I'll also check out your leadworship link.
Slipkid
Posted 2009-03-01 4:11 PM (#425776 - in reply to #425772)

Looks like fun to me.
G8r
Posted 2009-03-01 4:25 PM (#425777 - in reply to #425772)

Great time, great cause. Like Slipkid says, looks like fun.
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-01 6:59 PM (#425778 - in reply to #425772)

Good times! REALLY nice job, FlySig!!! You are so right about the value (if not the joy) of rehearsing!
mercury187
Posted 2009-03-02 12:06 PM (#425779 - in reply to #425772)

woah that looks like fun, looks like 3 people playing guitars in the first pic
marenostrum
Posted 2009-03-02 12:27 PM (#425780 - in reply to #425772)

WoW.... Looks you really had a great time and for the right cause.
Congrats !!!!
Riccardo
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-03-02 3:38 PM (#425781 - in reply to #425772)

wow, now that takes me back...very nice and a lot of fun...nicely done!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)