The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Stabilizing the Ovation

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

AlanM
Posted 2009-02-25 6:44 AM (#426328)
Subject: Stabilizing the Ovation

I know the topic has been beaten to death, and I assume that SOMEONE has done what I do (so, apologies in advance): a bungee cord of appropriate length from post to post and around the waist does it all. And the strap still fits just fine. The bungee doesn't even have to be very taut around the player's waist -- just kinda snug -- but the guitar is solidly in place, doesn't slip and is still maneuverable.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-02-25 7:01 AM (#426329 - in reply to #426328)
Subject: Re: Stabilizing the Ovation

That's a great idea. Reminds of my bicycle messenger bag which has a shoulder strap, but for added stability it also has a strap that goes around my waist. Never thought to try that on a roundback guitar. Thanks for bringing it up.
Northcountry
Posted 2009-02-25 7:07 AM (#426330 - in reply to #426328)

Check out the "Everyone deserves a Standing Ovation" thread. It won't be on top long as it is closed. These look like a good way to save the bungee cord. Please don't use a bungee cord that will give other guitarists something to joke about concerning ovations. I am not quite sure how you get the discount? you must have to email them, as there is no order page here and no OFC member discount page on his site.
If your having trouble keeping the guitar flat this looks like the perfect solution.

http://www.greatscottmfg.com/
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-25 8:13 AM (#426331 - in reply to #426328)

Originally posted by Gallerinski:
That's a great idea. Reminds of my bicycle messenger bag which has a shoulder strap, but for added stability it also has a strap that goes around my waist. Never thought to try that on a roundback guitar. Thanks for bringing it up.
I had the same experience as a newspaperboy...to keep the bag from swinging around while I rode my bike, I stabilized it with a bungeecord at the waist.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-25 8:30 AM (#426332 - in reply to #426328)

Originally posted by Northcountry:
Check out the "Everyone deserves a Standing Ovation" thread. It won't be on top long as it is closed. These look like a good way to save the bungee cord. Please don't use a bungee cord that will give other guitarists something to joke about concerning ovations. I am not quite sure how you get the discount? you must have to email them, as there is no order page here and no OFC member discount page on his site.
If your having trouble keeping the guitar flat this looks like the perfect solution.

http://www.greatscottmfg.com/
Yep. I understand...one small demurral: I have heard others make fun of the shape, but never of the sound. Not, that is, of the higher-end O's. Everyone has heard the worn out "plastic" comment, which, I think, is nothing more than an intellectually lazy substitute for "favors high end."

None of my Adamii has anything remotely resembling a "plastic" sound. But my shallow-bowl Elite has a sound that definitely favors the high-end. A very nice sound too, that someone who has it in for Ovation would characterize as "plastic."

Play many dreads and you'll hear the same thing, but no one says, "plastic," because there's none involved in the construction. Same sound -- different characterization.

I don't worry about the jibes; the sound covers it all, and there's no way, I think, that anyone would suggest that Ovation change the shape of the guitar so that players don't get teased.

Again, JMHO. The bungee cord works so well that I do use it. One more thing: if you put the strap on, then the bungee, then the bungee helps to hold worn straps in place. If you do it the other way, if for some reaon the strap fails, the bungee keeps the guitar from falling.

One more thing: if you're sitting down, the bungee does all the same stabilization thing, but gives you complete hands-free ability to talk, adjust equipment dials, gesticulate, write...kinda recommends the bungee for ANY guitar!

This is truly NOT to belittle the greatscott product...looks like an excellent thing, and a very clever invention that fills a need nicely. The bungee cord is just another way to skin that particular cat.
Joe Rotax
Posted 2009-02-25 8:55 AM (#426333 - in reply to #426328)

Originally posted by AlanM:
... a bungee cord of appropriate length from post to post and around the waist does it all. And the strap still fits just fine. The bungee doesn't even have to be very taut around the player's waist -- just kinda snug --
Post a picture of this rig.
Jeff W.
Posted 2009-02-25 9:45 AM (#426334 - in reply to #426328)

Just buy a good quality video camera. Disassemble it saving the metal "tripod" insert. Drill a hole in the bottom of the lower bout of your guitar, sized to fit the tripod insert and affix the insert in the hole

Then purchase a quality "SteadiCam" rig as seen here:

They can be had for about $1000. Attach the guitar to the Steadicam rig via the camera mount...

Voila! No slipping!
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-25 9:54 AM (#426335 - in reply to #426328)

Just beautiful! and at ONLY a grand, so practical AND affordable! Every family should have at LEAST two -- whether or NOT they have any guitars!
Northcountry
Posted 2009-02-25 11:55 AM (#426336 - in reply to #426328)

Ahhh, Alan not quite sure how you thought I would suggest Ovation needs to change the shape of thier guitars so they will not be ridiculed..??..And I happen to love the sound of my Ovations and would not care what others thought about their sonic properties. Funny what someone will take away from a message. I meant no offence to you I think it is pretty clear I am only pointing out another way to deal with this problem, other than using a bungee cord (as cleaver as that may be) and that the "bungee cord" approach would be the brunt of the jokes or comments and cast a negative reflection on the guitar shape. Ovation users deal with enough comments now from the traditionalists. As for a belted rig, seems this is a very expensive fix.......? but hey to each his own...........enjoy.

I would think that little gizmo this company has made is actually a very good solution if your having trouble keeping the guitar where it needs to be for you.
Has anyone tried one of these? I have not, but it seems the perfect solution.

Randy
Hossman21
Posted 2009-02-25 12:23 PM (#426337 - in reply to #426328)

If you are concerned that the bungee cord will look goofy, why not just get another guitar strap, put it around your waste, and hold you ovation steady. Heck, it is even made to hold your guitar! And most already have holes to attach.
fillhixx
Posted 2009-02-25 1:14 PM (#426338 - in reply to #426328)

I like this idea...I'm thinking of experimenting with building a guitar strap that has a hooked elastic belt to swap around your back right on the strap itself...

'Course, I won't be that motivated to build it as I don't have the 'slippage' problem others speak of so often around here. It hasn't been a problem ever since I wore that rubber slipnot patch off my first Ovation.

Oh, and nobody who listens disses my Ovation, my playing MAYbe, not the guitar.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-25 1:21 PM (#426339 - in reply to #426328)

Originally posted by Northcountry:
Ahhh, Alan not quite sure how you thought I would suggest Ovation needs to change the shape of thier guitars so they will not be ridiculed..??..And I happen to love the sound of my Ovations and would not care what others thought about their sonic properties. Funny what someone will take away from a message. I meant no offence to you I think it is pretty clear I am only pointing out another way to deal with this problem, other than using a bungee cord (as cleaver as that may be) and that the "bungee cord" approach would be the brunt of the jokes or comments and cast a negative reflection on the guitar shape. Ovation users deal with enough comments now from the traditionalists. As for a belted rig, seems this is a very expensive fix.......? but hey to each his own...........enjoy.

I would think that little gizmo this company has made is actually a very good solution if your having trouble keeping the guitar where it needs to be for you.
Has anyone tried one of these? I have not, but it seems the perfect solution.

Randy
No problem! I didn't take offense. In fact, it's nearly impossible to offend me. MY apologies if I gave offense with my reply! I DO think the gizmo is a great idea...I was just mentioning that I had another way that seemed to have some ancillary benefits as well...And, I think the belted rig was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion, no?
G8r
Posted 2009-02-25 1:31 PM (#426340 - in reply to #426328)

Originally posted by AlanM:
...I think the belted rig was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion, no?
Given the source, bank on it!
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2009-02-25 1:44 PM (#426341 - in reply to #426328)

Just get some of that non-slip shelf liner and cut a small piece for your right knee. I guarantee the guitar will not slip.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-25 1:55 PM (#426342 - in reply to #426328)

Originally posted by CanterburyStrings:
Just get some of that non-slip shelf liner and cut a small piece for your right knee. I guarantee the guitar will not slip.
Same thing on the tummy for the standing guitarist?
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-02-25 2:12 PM (#426343 - in reply to #426328)

I just take off my shirt and sweat a lot. Any wonder why nobody wants to watch me play?
Northcountry
Posted 2009-02-25 2:14 PM (#426344 - in reply to #426328)

Very Good, keep the ideas coming.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-25 3:23 PM (#426345 - in reply to #426328)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
I just take off my shirt and sweat a lot. Any wonder why nobody wants to watch me play?
Ummmmmm...eeew?
Jeff W.
Posted 2009-02-25 3:47 PM (#426346 - in reply to #426328)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
Are you using "suction" ?
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-02-25 4:51 PM (#426347 - in reply to #426328)

Yes, there's a lot better suction with a keg than with that 6 pack I used to have.
sycamore
Posted 2009-02-26 6:29 AM (#426348 - in reply to #426328)

I know it's been said before but I have never had a problem with the bowl shape either sitting or standing. Neither when I was slightly concave, nor now that I am slightly convex in the contact area!
Standing O
Posted 2009-02-26 8:51 AM (#426349 - in reply to #426328)

Hey gentleman,
Hmmm your comments take me back to my newspaper carrying days. Back when times were simpler. Of course that was before bungee cords were invented.

After using the mentioned little gizmo for a few years now, I can't imagine how the bungee could be anywhere near as effective. Not knocking a good idea by any means. Hey whatever works for ya.

Anyway, if there is interest in purchasing a "Standing Ovation", just drop me an email (tom@greatscottmfg.com) mentioning your an OFC member and send payment via paypal to the same address. The total discounted price would be $30.96 shipping included.

Please know that this is a risk free purchase and if your not completely satisfied within 30 days, I'll refund your purchased price.
I've yet to receive one back!!
bvince
Posted 2009-02-26 5:55 PM (#426350 - in reply to #426328)

Mine's still working good. I have put the velcro strips on the back of all my deep body Os (wait a minute! they're all deep bodies) As long as the waistline is not going down, I think I'll continue to use it. Thanks again Alan for the discount.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)