The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
LR Baggs Pick-up

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Norseman1
Posted 2009-02-19 4:44 PM (#426819)
Subject: LR Baggs Pick-up

I recently had a crack in my legend fixed down here in Mesa. I was talking to the repair guy (don't know I would call him a luthier...or a Lutheran...maybe a Catholic...but anyway) he had a used LR Baggs dual pick-up. It has an under saddle pick-up, and a mic in the sound hole, with a small equalizer that mounts on one edge of the soundhole. Anyways, he said it would be gauranteed to work...wants $150.00 for the pick-up (said they usually run about $350.00 new) and about $30.00 to install (which I thought sounded good).

Anyone have an idea about this sort of pick-up, and does this sound like a fair price? It would be cool to get the old 1117 "electrified"!

Norse(...could be a mormon too)man1
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stephent28
Posted 2009-02-19 5:21 PM (#426820 - in reply to #426819)
Subject: Re: LR Baggs Pick-up

This Fishman would be my personal choice but I am sure the Baggs is a good unit and it sounds like it is a very similar unit to the Fishman.

Prices sound about right to me.
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-02-19 5:22 PM (#426821 - in reply to #426819)

Your new name is "Norsetaco1"

Hey, what repair shop did you go to? I use "The Music Store" on Baseline Rd. right near Loop-101. They do really good work, at least on wooden boxes.

Don't know anything about the LR Baggs. I use Fishman Eclipse Blend whihc I think is similar. Has the regular fishman matrix acoustic undersaddle and a small condensor mic on a little goose neck inside the body of the guitar. It's a pretty nice sounding unit but at high volumes the condensor can be problematic.

Hey we do kanikapila 3rd or 4th monday of every month with the Scottsdale Stummers. You should come.

http://azukulele.com/index.htm

There's actually a pretty active ukulele culture around the area. You need to look under some rocks and in dark alleys but there's some cool stuff going on. Check out "Ukulele Ray" sometime. Whooa ...

Dave
G8r
Posted 2009-02-19 5:35 PM (#426822 - in reply to #426819)

I have the Baggs I-Mix in my Larrivee. It's a very nice pre-amp/pickup combo for that guitar. You can dial in just the right amount of undersaddle vs condensor for the venue and amp to get the tone you want. Like Dave says for the Fishman, it can be very sensitive to feedback. If you wind up with it I'd be very interested in how it works for a deep-bowl O.
Norseman1
Posted 2009-02-19 6:14 PM (#426823 - in reply to #426819)

Dave, I went to Buchanan's Music shop on East Brown (right near were I work, and it's a small operation...thought they could use the buisness).

I'll have to check out the uke scene...not been to Scottsdale yet, so that sounds like fun...is the Feb. Monday already history then?

Norsetaco
dobro
Posted 2009-02-19 6:48 PM (#426824 - in reply to #426819)

Norseman: I have preached to anyone who has a "virgin" Ovation like my 1974 1117 and wants to "electrify" it: I'll attest to the happy formula of Fishman PreFix pickup system plugged into a Bose L1. Natch, it's for modest sized gigs, but it works for me. The clearest demo of this is the intro to "Spain" (or "Bozo's Waltz" or "UrsaP--it's all live done on the ZOOM H4) Listen HERE

The axe is the one in the photo: '74 Legend 1117 (Got the same system in my 1581-5 Adamas). You can see the slender tower of the Bose L1 jutting out from behind my head (I'm on the far left).
dobro
Posted 2009-02-19 6:52 PM (#426825 - in reply to #426819)

Correcting the link above: Listen HERE!
scott lamperd
Posted 2009-02-19 7:37 PM (#426826 - in reply to #426819)

I have a older ovation which was just acoustic. I installed the baggs saddle pickup and could not be happier. With or without a preamp it has excellent sound. I do use a pre for recording.

Scott Lamperd B C (before computers)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)