The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Has VIP gone RIP

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Gallerinski
Posted 2009-02-17 7:23 AM (#427026)
Subject: Has VIP gone RIP

So what's up with the VIP pre-amp - is it dead?

Looks like it's now only offered on the Adamas CVT 1680, CVT 2080 and CVT 2097. Lord knows those fly off the shelves. Not available on any Ovation models.

Sounds like the end to me ...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bvince
Posted 2009-02-17 7:39 AM (#427027 - in reply to #427026)
Subject: Re: Has VIP gone RIP

I'm not sure, because mine seems to work great. I wonder if the cost is the issue?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-02-17 7:45 AM (#427028 - in reply to #427026)

It wont bother me if it's discontinued, I don't get along with it at all. It seems strange that the 2 preamps that Bose made T1 presets for were the OPpro and the VIP, when it's not available on many guitars.
alpep
Posted 2009-02-17 9:04 AM (#427029 - in reply to #427026)

very expensive

more expensive than the idea
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-02-17 9:33 AM (#427030 - in reply to #427026)

I guess the premise of the VIP is that you can "make your guitar sound like something different" ... but maybe Ovation fans like the way they sound AS IS ???
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-02-17 10:00 AM (#427031 - in reply to #427026)

I have to admit that at first, I wasn't particularly enthused with the VIP on the '08C...being a fan of the OP-24, I really had not used some of the newer preamps except for the OP-PRO which I really liked EXCEPT for the tuner which did not seem accurate to me...however, after getting the Shen. Stereo 60 and spending some time experimenting with the VIP I found it to be a very versitale pre-amp and the images were useful and contributed to the versitality of the guitar. The dummy plug in acoustic mode made tuning a bit of a drag, but when plugged in, it was a breeze and seemed much more accurate than the PRO had been. I think the seceret for me was learning how to adjust the mix control between the pickup and image. Learning how the unit operates and spending time with it will make a believer out of most sceptics...YMMV
What is nice is you are able to get not only the sound of the guitar itself (Mix on pickup) or a huge variety of other blends and models...quite nice. IMHO
Expensive yes, and that's why it is now available only on the top of the line...

One main key is to remember to UNPLUG the amp cable or pay the price on NEW BATTERY'S...
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-02-17 11:18 AM (#427032 - in reply to #427026)

Originally posted by MusicMishka:
ILearning how the unit operates and spending time with it will make a believer out of most sceptics
W
Not me. I've spent way too much time with several models of Fishman Aura, including the original big version, and the VIP to know that at this point in it's development it's jut not for me. If I want a mic'd guitar sound I'll go into a studio and use microphones, but for what I need to do gig-wise I find that the Aura/VIP just doesn't work for me at all.
edensharvest
Posted 2009-02-17 12:15 PM (#427033 - in reply to #427026)

I never really liked the VIP. Playing side by side with the Studio, the VIP just didn't hold a candle, particularly given how much more expensive it is than a standard preamp.

My vote still goes to the late model Optima with XLR. :cool:
an4340
Posted 2009-02-17 12:30 PM (#427034 - in reply to #427026)

I like the OP-50. And if you want to do some sculpting I like the SansAmp Acoustic DI. And if I ever get a chance I'm going to get that LR Baggs preamp you guys have been talking about.

But honestly, I like how my Adamas sounds as it is without the sculpting.
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-02-17 12:30 PM (#427035 - in reply to #427026)

quote:
Originally posted by MusicMishka:
Learning how the unit operates and spending time with it will make a believer out of most sceptics
Paul wrote:
Not me.
Okay, maybe not most..change that to "some". It's not my favorite, but I have no plans to swap it out...

My vote still goes to the late model Optima with XLR.
As much as I like the OP-24, the Optima is a wonderful preamp...I had never tried one till I got the Book Elite from Dave...I really like it! and the Tuner is spot on!
PEZ
Posted 2009-02-17 1:43 PM (#427036 - in reply to #427026)

I like the VIP in W598.
I like op-24, optima, op50 oppro as well.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-02-17 1:44 PM (#427037 - in reply to #427026)

Just talking unplugged here, compare a nice acoustic guitar, maybe a Martin dreadnought or a Guild jumbo or something to a really good Ovation or Adamas. They sound completely different of course, and many people prefer the sound of the Martins or any other comparable wooden guitar to the Ovations. The main difference is in the midrange. Larger conventional guitars tend to have a dip in the response in the mids. This makes them sound really sweet and great for strumming in the lower positions but not so good at fingerstyle or playing in the higher registers, whereas an Ovation can sound a little "shouty" by comparison, but works real well over the entire fingerboard. To me, Ovation's signature sound is the increased midrange, and the balance from low to high and through the playable range. (Note that most fingersyle guitarists tend to play smaller guitars rather than dreads or jumbos because the are better balanced, and tend to have a fatter midrange)

Now plugged in, because an Ovation lacks this midrange dip you are starting with a clean slate. With any guitar you can EQ-out what you don't want to hear, but you can't EQ-in what isn't there, not without lowering your feedback threshold considerably. Every time I use the Aura or VIP with an Ovation it seems like it's trying to make it sound like a wooden guitar with that midrange scoop. Well damn it, if that's the sound I needed I go out and buy a nice box guitar

If you're strumming chords in the lower positions, or backing up vocals the Aura/VIP works just fine, in fact pretty much any guitar will do that without a problem. If you need to use the entire fingerboard and cut through a mix, especially where there's electric bass and percussion involved then your choice of acoustic guitar starts to narrow, and in that situation I've found the Aura/Vip to be nothing but a hindrance. YMMV
edensharvest
Posted 2009-02-17 1:50 PM (#427038 - in reply to #427026)

Very astute observation Paul...that actually explains a lot of what I've been hearing and didn't like.
bvince
Posted 2009-02-17 2:18 PM (#427039 - in reply to #427026)

Every time I use the Aura or VIP with an Ovation it seems like it's trying to make it sound like a wooden guitar with that midrange scoop. Well damn it, if that's the sound I needed I go out and buy a nice box guitar
I think that's the idea behind the preamp. So you can have more sound/freq options without having to use a different guitar. As much as I enjoy the Ovation/Adamas sound and playability, I still like that occaisional wood box sound, so I can dial it in on my modeling preamp instead of buying a Martin/Tyler(:/etc. I am obviously NOT a wood box "purist"(and I very much appreciate Paul's excellent comments), but I am very happy with the results I have been able to get. I can even have a dobro sound if I want it. I guess if I had to make my living in the highly competitive music business I may be a bit more of a perfectionist. As it is, I love playing, whether by myself or in a band setting, and I'm happy.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-02-17 3:04 PM (#427040 - in reply to #427026)

Originally posted by bvince:

I think that's the idea behind the preamp. So you can have more sound/freq options without having to use a different guitar. [/QB]
I'm sure that was part of it's purpose, that and producing a more natural mic'd sound. Don't get me wrong it does what it's supposed to do very well. I've heard solo guitarists and singer-songwriters using Aura and it worked great. I just haven't been able to get it to work for me at a gig where there's some volume involved and a bunch of other sonic traffic to cut through. Outside of that situation I'd either be using the guitar unplugged or using microphones.
dweezil
Posted 2009-02-17 3:42 PM (#427041 - in reply to #427026)

I just don't see the point of the VIP at all especially in the 1680
TAFKAR
Posted 2009-02-17 5:25 PM (#427042 - in reply to #427026)

Is the VIP more prone to feedback than the Optima? I was playing my 08C in church the other night (through XLR using 100% image) and when I cranked it up for some finger picking the E string (which was tuned down to D) picked up some major feedback, which involved a hasty tweak of the gain.

Mind you, I don't think I would have been able to tweak the feedback thingy on the Optima anyway, given that I had to keep playing.
Hossman21
Posted 2009-02-17 8:57 PM (#427043 - in reply to #427026)

Someone mentioned unplugging the cable or buying new batteries. This is a question that I have had and I just would like it if someone could make it clear. If I leave my battery in, and it is unplugged, then the battery will not wear down?

Thanks in advance.

Hoss
TAFKAR
Posted 2009-02-17 9:02 PM (#427044 - in reply to #427026)

Batteries will wear out of their own accord (but not for a while). If it does not last a considerable time (e.g. 3-6 months) without any significant use, then you may have a technical problem that is draining the battery, or you may be using really cheapo batteries.

Including the time I have the dummy plug in, I'm probably only plugged in for about 5-10 hours per month, and get several months from a battery. If you put the guitar in storage (as with any electrical device with replaceable batteries) you should take the battery out, in case it leaks acid and destroys something.
bvince
Posted 2009-02-18 6:54 AM (#427045 - in reply to #427026)

As much as I have griped about battery usage in the VIP, when I started exercising some common sense, it stopped being a problem. NOW ... I CAN say that when the battery does go, it has done so with no warning, sometimes in the middle of a concert. So once again, common sense would say that I should use a fresh battery before doing a concert. And ... keep it unplugged when not actually in use.
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2009-02-18 12:37 PM (#427046 - in reply to #427026)

Mine (replaced almost a year ago) works perfectly, is easy on the batteries, and sounds fine (as long as I don't get too carried away with the Image level).

It used to be weird about turning on. I can turn on the tuner using the "wet-willy" method now. (a damp finger across the pins in the XLR)

I can get through several "Sundays" on a fresh energizer 9v, leaving it plugged in (XLR) during the intermission between the worship session and our closing set (usually about 2 1/2 hrs total).

I've said it before. The mic modeling DOES make it sound *more* natural (less quacky), but like Temp said, you will disappear into the mix. If I want strong mids, I turn it down. I also find it less resistant to feedback, and I get more harmonics on the "right image" for a given stage/room.

I still miss my OP-Pro Studio the most, which is what is in Beggin's U681-T.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)