The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New to the board

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

jtbeck
Posted 2011-04-10 8:47 AM (#1719)
Subject: New to the board

Morning, all.

Just thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm a terrible player. Really. I'm working on it, though. Right now my main guitar is an Agile AL-2000. Really loving on it.

But, I've had an Ovation in my life since either the late 70's or early 80's (I think about 1981 or 1982). Not sure how long this guitar has been around. It belonged to my father. It's a Balladeer 1111-1. I'll check the serial number when I get it back from the shop. A few years back one (or both) of my then toddler-boys broke the headstock in half. Broke it sideways right through the truss rod cover area. So, I'm finally getting it repaired. Hopefully in a few days it will be back in action.

It sat in a box in my garage, broken, for about 5 or 6 years. My father just recently passed away and I decided that I would get it fixed as a tribute/remembrance of him. Every time I pick it up and play it I'll think of him.

I hope it comes all the way back to where it started, because it was always one of the most beautiful sounding guitars I've ever heard.

If anybody has a good resource for replacing the truss rod cover I'd appreciate it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jtbeck
Posted 2011-04-13 8:21 AM (#1720 - in reply to #1719)
Subject: Re: New to the board

The gluing of the head-stock is underway. Hopefully I'll be restringing by this weekend.

Any suggestions for strings? All I've played the last several years is an Agile AL-2K (fantastic Les Paul knock-off) so I'm lost when it comes to what strings might be good for an acoustic. I could just ask the guy in the store, but I would rather hear suggestions from people knowledgable on Ovations.
Damon67
Posted 2011-04-13 12:30 PM (#1721 - in reply to #1719)

Good luck on the repair. I just recently had a similar thing fixed.

As for strings, I change them enough toi where I don't use coated ones. I stick with good ol' D'Adarrio EJ16 for my strings.
jtbeck
Posted 2011-04-14 9:25 PM (#1722 - in reply to #1719)

I won't be changing them all that often. But I was thinking D'Adarrio's for sure. Thanks.
rhythm s pace
Posted 2011-04-14 11:57 PM (#1723 - in reply to #1719)

I've tried many different strings over the years.But the one's that are consistant from set to set,last long,even tune right 8-10 months later(they do lose some tone)are Dean Markley Blue Steels.2nd choice John Pearse.
Happy Pickin'
jtbeck
Posted 2011-04-15 9:23 AM (#1724 - in reply to #1719)

Thanks for the input. I've never used any Dean Markley's. Maybe it's time to give them a shot.

I can't wait to get the old girl singing again.
jtbeck
Posted 2011-04-15 9:25 AM (#1725 - in reply to #1719)

Here's a couple of shots of the damage (I hope I do this right):

As you can tell, the back will fit together just about seamlessly, but the front is actually missing some of the wood. Going to be a little tougher to fix.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)