The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OT: singalongs

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-02-13 7:54 PM (#427652)
Subject: OT: singalongs

I met up with Norseman in Phoenix and he and I took turns playing oldies on his Legend on a park bench until it got too cold. I called him a wuss, since it was probably 50 degrees in Phoenix and 50 below in Bemidji, where he spent last winter. Then I got cold, too. I'm a bit self-conscious about playing in "public".
In the airport on the way back, a guy sat next to me with a guitar case and we chatted about travelling with guitars. Just when I asked him to get it out of the case, they announce that our flight was boarding.
Coincidentally, the Southwest Airlines magazine had an article about an experiment with public guitar playing. A guy went to various airports around the country and played his travel guitar (wish I could remember the brand). He wanted to see if he could get anyone to sing along, like people used to in the 70s. Most places, like Boise and San Francisco, he didn't get anyone to go along. He had very few in a couple places. He concluded that people get music too easily, with ipods and mp3s, nowadays, and don't really have to make music anymore.
So lets go make some music and thanks, Scott, for sharing some time and your Legend with me. It's always nice to get a guitar fix when I'm away from home.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Trader Jim
Posted 2009-02-13 7:59 PM (#427653 - in reply to #427652)
Subject: Re: OT: singalongs

That's cool Mark, how's Norse doing in the new climes? He doesn't get around here much.
Capo Guy
Posted 2009-02-13 8:04 PM (#427654 - in reply to #427652)

Jim,

Do you have the Josh White and the Balladeer reissue listed anywhere?
Trader Jim
Posted 2009-02-13 8:06 PM (#427655 - in reply to #427652)

just in my sig. It's such a bad time to sell anything, I figured I'd just put it out there if anyone was interested.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-02-14 12:38 PM (#427656 - in reply to #427652)

Norse is doing well. Didn't miss the Minnesota winter and is enjoying his new job, but is very busy with training and licensing for it. He seems like he's settling in nicely, with the only downside being the inability to sell the Minnesota house.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-02-14 12:56 PM (#427657 - in reply to #427652)

You mean in Arizona, you've got to get a license to work in a Taco Bell???
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2009-02-14 1:26 PM (#427658 - in reply to #427652)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
A guy went to various airports around the country and played his travel guitar (wish I could remember the brand). He wanted to see if he could get anyone to sing along, like people used to in the 70s. Most places, like Boise and San Francisco, he didn't get anyone to go along. He had very few in a couple places. He concluded that people get music too easily, with ipods and mp3s, nowadays, and don't really have to make music anymore.
Or he just sucked.. :) (sorry it had to be said).

The flaw in these "social experiments" is that society has changed so dramatically. I used to travel a LOT. 100,000 miles a year worldwide for awhile, but even a lot before that (pre-2002). In the 90's it was cool to "hang out" at airports. No one thought twice of it. Hang out at the bar, have business meetings etc.. Now the airlines have "clubs" for that, and "hanging out" at the airport can get you detained. I'm guessing if more than a couple of people stopped to "sing along" they would be dispersed ASAP and rightfully so. I'm not happy about it, but it's not 1970 anymore either, and I'm also happy about that for other reasons.

In previous times of economic hardship, widespread or individual, it would be acceptable to sit on a corner with your guitar case open for "donations." Today, there are people that target those donations as "easy money."

Now before anyone thinks I'm all "it's the end of the world" I just think this "one" person went about it the wrong way. Although I didn't take part and wouldn't the "hug" experiment is I think a better approach. Get LOTS of people to do the same thing everywhere, all the time. Maybe a national "play your guitar on a street corner" day. Do it annually, maybe it will grow to monthly, maybe to weekly in 10 or 20 years.. now THAT would be a social experiment.

Instead of pointing out how we as a society are not as open as it was in the 70's, and music is so much easier to get... maybe work toward doing something about it, rather than just pointing it out.
Losov
Posted 2009-02-14 1:40 PM (#427659 - in reply to #427652)

Yeah, when I'm playing a gig I don't want anyone to sing along. Hey lady, do you see a damn campfire in the bar? Kumbaya this, OK?
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-02-14 3:48 PM (#427660 - in reply to #427652)

Miles, I think you'd have to agree that a huge percentage of people these days are listening to their own music on their ipods and aren't interested in listening to anyone else, much less singing along. I agree airports aren't as social as they used to be, although I never hung out at one, but it's hard to socialize with someone who has earplugs in or is talking on the cell phone.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-02-14 4:26 PM (#427661 - in reply to #427652)

Maybe he was playing in the wrong place?
He shoulda tried bus stations. ('cept they would run him off if he didn't have a ticket)

And once again... Playing For Change!
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2009-02-14 4:34 PM (#427662 - in reply to #427652)

You just need to go to a tourist area! Here in the Black Hills during the summer, buskers do very well. Lots of people stop and sing along, and they make good tips too. In non-tourist areas, try the park.
Hossman21
Posted 2009-02-14 7:09 PM (#427663 - in reply to #427652)

I may be weird but, it is hard to stop me from trying to sing along with anyone playing a guitar in public. I have weaseled my way up on stage, I have sang with guys on the street with their guitar case open, I have even asked a live performer if I could fill in for him while he was on his break. (he let me do it :) ) That was in Niagara Falls at a sidewalk cafe. You only live once and once you get the bug for live performance. . . . well, I guess some of you may understand.
fillhixx
Posted 2009-02-14 7:23 PM (#427664 - in reply to #427652)

I'll go with the 'bet he sucked' bet. A good entertainer (completely separate idea from a player/musician) can coerce an audience to come with him/her almost anywhere.

Even if they don't like it.

responding to the research thingy here, not Mark & Norseman. I know at least that Mark is much better than he thinks he is....a trial lawyer is a great performer pretty much by definition. (remember: I've heard you play, twice.)
Norseman1
Posted 2009-02-17 4:36 PM (#427665 - in reply to #427652)

Hey Mark!

Ditto! It was great meeting you. I enjoyed our visit...wish I would've had more time and at least one more "O" with me. It was fun to play some of those "oldies" I haven't played for soooooo long (...that's my excuse for the quality [or lack thereof]of my music makin' abilities...that and the treacherous 50 degree weather BRRRRRR!). Anyways it was fun...too bad Boise is sooooo far away...it could become habit forming!

Norse(take care!)man1
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-02-17 5:55 PM (#427666 - in reply to #427652)

Originally posted by Norseman1:
Hey Mark!

Ditto! It was great meeting you. I enjoyed our visit...wish I would've had more time and at least one more "O" with me. It was fun to play some of those "oldies" I haven't played for soooooo long (...that's my excuse for the quality [or lack thereof]of my music makin' abilities...that and the treacherous 50 degree weather BRRRRRR!). Anyways it was fun...too bad Boise is sooooo far away...it could become habit forming!

Norse(take care!)man1
Hey why didn't you invite me ??? Oh, yeah, never mind. I was in Dallas which was pretty darn cold as well.
Norseman1
Posted 2009-02-17 6:04 PM (#427667 - in reply to #427652)

Well someday when you're not out galivanting the countryside, let's get together! Mark tells me your a decent enough guy, but either way, it's worth putting up with you just to see your collection!

Norse(need to change my moniker to Mesa)man1
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-02-17 6:16 PM (#427668 - in reply to #427652)

I don't remember saying anything nice about Dave, other than he must have some redeeming qualities or his saintly wife wouldn't put up with him.
Norse, it's the short term memory that goes first. That's why I couldn't remember the oldies that I just learned and you could remember the ones you hadn't played for years.
You guys are always welcome in Boise. Dave just needs to let me know when he's here.
dobro
Posted 2009-02-18 4:53 PM (#427669 - in reply to #427652)

A small point: Airports are places of stress and pressure--hardly the environment most conducive to "making music together." Mr. Survey should go out in the summer down various beaches in CA or FLA just as people settle down to hang out at sunset. Another story entirely.
fillhixx
Posted 2009-02-18 5:08 PM (#427670 - in reply to #427652)

No, airports are great places to play!

Just alternate "Coming Into Los Angeles" with "Lawyers, Guns, and Money"....you'll have a crowd in no time!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-02-18 6:07 PM (#427671 - in reply to #427652)

The author came to the same conclusion as dobro, that people don't enjoy airports anymore. I don't think his purpose was to compare airports to beaches. He was selling an article to a travel mag and getting the fringe benefit of trying out some travel guitars for free.
Slipkid
Posted 2009-02-18 6:21 PM (#427672 - in reply to #427652)

I've given thought to try a little busking.
I just have not found the right time & place.
And I'd have to have my partner there too.
Losov
Posted 2009-02-18 8:20 PM (#427673 - in reply to #427652)

Originally posted by Slipkid:
I've given thought to try a little busking.
Not me. Not ever.

If I'm playing a club and someone from my real life walks in (very few of them even know I play) he or she might be impressed. In fact, people have been.

If I were busking, they'd probably say, "What the hell you doin'?"
FlySig
Posted 2009-02-19 12:15 AM (#427674 - in reply to #427652)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
it's hard to socialize with someone who has earplugs in or is talking on the cell phone.
Like one's own children or wife. :rolleyes:
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)