The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Advice needed from amp / cab / speaker experts.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

muzza
Posted 2009-02-13 3:28 AM (#427773)
Subject: Advice needed from amp / cab / speaker experts.

Two questions...

Q1) I have a 4 x 10" Hartke bass cabinet and a 1 x 15" Peavey bass cabinet. The Peavey sounds too 'muddy' on its own, the Hartke sounds too 'tinny' on its own.

Together, however, they sound like bass heaven. But it's just too much 'rig'.

I want to convert the 4 x 10" into a smaller 2 x 10" cab, but how to I configure the speaker connections? The speakers are 8 ohm and arranged in series/parallel to give a total impedance of 8 ohms.

If I hook 'em up in series, it'll be 16 ohms. If I hook 'em up in parallel, it'll be 4 ohms. How can I get two 8 ohm speakers to add up to 8 ohms?

Q2) I want to put one of the soon-to-be spare 10" speakers into my little Carlsbro Scorpion bass practice amp. The Celestion speaker in the Carlsbro looks like a toy compared to the massive magnet on the Hartke. But... it's only 4 ohms. And the Hartke, as stated above, is 8 ohms. How would putting an 8 ohm speaker in there affect anything? I guess it's a similar question to the first - how do I fool the amp into thinking the speakers have a different impedance.

Surely its not as simple as putting a 4 or 16 ohm resistor in series or parallel with the speaker terminals???
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-02-13 4:33 AM (#427774 - in reply to #427773)
Subject: Re: Advice needed from amp / cab / speaker experts.

Q1, if you have a pair of 8 ohm speakers you can as you said, get a total load of either 16 or 4 ohms, but not 8. Can't be done.

Q2, if you put an 8 ohm load on an amp that delivers it's maxium output into 4 ohms, you'll get a reduction in output. You can't make the load appear different to the amp
muzza
Posted 2009-02-13 5:29 AM (#427775 - in reply to #427773)

What are the consequences of using it in either configuration.

I'd assume series (16 ohm) would reduce the output, as with Q2, but what would happen with a parallel configuration (4 ohm)?
muzza
Posted 2009-02-13 5:40 AM (#427776 - in reply to #427773)

Slow upload, double post... :rolleyes:
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-02-13 6:58 AM (#427777 - in reply to #427773)

As long as the combined impedance is higher than the minimum load the amp is designed for, the only consequence will be a reduction in output. Going lower than the recommended minimum load could fry the amp.
JeffreyD
Posted 2009-02-13 11:09 AM (#427778 - in reply to #427773)

It partly depends on your amp too. If you have a two channel bass amp (such as driving your 15 and your 10's bi-amped) you can simply plug each 10 into one of the bi-amp holes and get two 8 ohm outputs.

Most pro-audio amps(including bass amps) are rated at 4 ohms, some to 2 ohms, so I would wire the speakers for 4 ohms if that is what you amp can handle to get the best power output. However, if your amps are 8 minimum, then you are probably stuck going to 16 and choking the output a bit.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)