The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Advice for Newbies

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Mitzdawg
Posted 2009-02-11 10:41 AM (#428203)
Subject: Advice for Newbies

Whenever a newbie asks for advice on what Ovation to buy, we trot out the same tired mantra: "Don't buy a Celebrity, for the same money you can buy a used US-Made Oveation."

We (the OFC) should be able to do better.

Buying used scares lots of/most people. Some people may be uncomfortable buying something they have not heard or touched. Playing guitar is visceral; you play it, you hear it, but it plays you in return; you feel it.

We need to recognize that people have budgets and preferences and tastes and be able to offer better advice than the "mantra."

We do the OFC disservice if people who will not consider used or have other preferences find our standard answer unsatisfying and leave the board feeling we are a bunch of dinsaurs that live in the past and have nothing to offer.

Like it or not, Celebrities and Applauses may be the future of Ovation as Adamas suffers a lingering demise.

Suggestions:
Could we start a section where we have owners rate (via a poll) the different models a la consumer reports? OR
Can we generate an intelligent response that makes a purchase recommendation in the various categories of price/new/used and put it in the reference section?
Other suggestions?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-02-11 11:04 AM (#428204 - in reply to #428203)
Subject: Re: Advice for Newbies

The problem is that the usual inquiry goes something like this ... "Hi. I want to buy an ovation guitar. I saw one on TV and it looked cool. Which one should I buy."
Paulcc1
Posted 2009-02-11 11:10 AM (#428205 - in reply to #428203)

Before I got mine I never saw them on TV but you have to admit they do look cool. :cool: And they great tone and playability. I played a few Celebs and they just never did it for me, but when I played my first USA Ovation that did it.
Pauly
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-02-11 11:14 AM (#428206 - in reply to #428203)

The other problem is that the criteria for buying a guitar is very personal and subjective. Even after defining why a person wants a guitar, there are a ton of choices. Ultimately, the only issues are deep bowl vs. shallow, acoustic vs. plugged in, and Amercian built vs. import....
BT717
Posted 2009-02-11 11:36 AM (#428207 - in reply to #428203)

Mitzdawg,
While your Idea is a positive one to help "Newbies", I think they have as much responsibility to ask more direct informative questions about a specific guitar they are thinking about.That way when a member here answers, it's probably because they have played or owned the guitar and know something more personal about that guitar. I have been trying to help a Newbie recently. I wish I could answer all the questions he has thrown my to his satisfaction, But, I am NOT qualified to answer many of them because I have never played or owned the guitars he asked me about. Maybe when a Newbie asks the question that Toby stated above (and he IS right about that), some one should let the Newbie know to go play it, feel it and come back and let us know what he or she felt/heard. Then a member here, If they so desire can lend an opinion. JMHO.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-02-11 11:54 AM (#428208 - in reply to #428203)

Before answering the beginner's question, perhaps we should ask three questions right up front:

1. How much are you willing to pay?

2. How do you intend to use it?

3. What is your comfort level with used gear?
fillhixx
Posted 2009-02-11 11:58 AM (#428209 - in reply to #428203)

AND!
4 - What is your position on Llama co-habitation?
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-02-11 12:10 PM (#428210 - in reply to #428203)

I like Brad's 3 questions and then expand from there. Sometimes there are just too many questions that they can't be answered by us. They have to be answered by the person who started it.
Auriemma
Posted 2009-02-11 12:59 PM (#428211 - in reply to #428203)

I have NEVER said anything bad about Celebs. My ol' CC-257 still plays just fine (as long as my Elite isn't available).

The problem is, buying used a O (or any guitar)requires some knowledge of the guitar being purchased. O-noobs don't have that knowledge. Lets face it, if we didn't know the difference, you could confuse any two O's with similar finishes and shapes. Yet they may be many hundreds if not thousands of dollars different in price.

So the question still stands... How can we help a newbie choose thier first Ovation?
CrimsonLake
Posted 2009-02-11 2:02 PM (#428212 - in reply to #428203)

I would have gladly kept the KOA Celeb that my wife got me for my birthday last year if I didn't get the '05 collectors that same day.

Would I have bought it on my own? No, but it sounded and played just fine.

On the other hand... for what it cost, many a nice USA O's could be had.
ScottMt
Posted 2009-02-11 2:16 PM (#428213 - in reply to #428203)

I think an "inter-library" loan sort of arrangement would be perfect so that they (we) could try them out - anyone got a VXT and an EA68 to send me so I can compare?
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-02-11 2:25 PM (#428214 - in reply to #428203)

Good luck, Scott. Montana is even more remote than Idaho.
dave3dg
Posted 2009-02-11 2:45 PM (#428215 - in reply to #428203)

Not a lot wrong with the Celebs I know as I have a CC0045 12 stringer. I must say the state of the neck and the playable setup were sh1te but after a good setup and a set of Elixir 10 - 46's there is not a lot to complain about.
I am sure a lot of high-flier USA only merchants could/will shout 'foul' but how many of the experts have owned one????...They are still Ovations :cool:
G8r
Posted 2009-02-11 3:10 PM (#428216 - in reply to #428203)

I've owned 2 Celebs. I guess what I say about them could be interpreted as negative, but only in the context of comparing them to a similar US-made model. I had a mid-bowl cutaway solid spruce top Celeb with lots of bling (a CP2002 Limited Edition). Very pretty guitar, and at the time I thought it sounded wonderful. And compared to a comparable quality import woodbox, it certainly did. But there's no way in hell that anybody can convince me that it's comparable in tonal depth and volume to a C778LX (which looks exactly like it), or even a late-70s-to-early-80s Balladeer, which can be had these days for a very few hundreds.

Face it - Celebs are designed to be made more cheaply than the domestic models. They are, for the most part, entry-level guitars. From the grade and types of materials, including hardware, to the amount of handwork, to the types and degree of QC inspections, they are meant to trade certain, shall we say, more desirable characteristics found in domestic models for affordability. Cheap labor isn't the only cost-saving reason for producing things in the Pac Rim. Hell, transportation costs, with fuel being what it is, will eat most of those savings up.

Bottom line - it's not a knock at Celebs to say that an older US-made Ovation will be a better guitar. If a person has to have a brand-new Ovation, newness being the defining criterion for purchase, but can't afford a domestic model, then by all means get a Celeb. Otherwise, there are better - yes better in every sense that matters to a guitar - options available in the used domestic market.

dave3dg
Posted 2009-02-11 3:32 PM (#428217 - in reply to #428203)

Is your glass half empty, or is it half full?
I dislike Ford cars (auto's to you) and I have owned one and hired a few others but I certainly would not advise anyone not to buy one. After all, they still get you from A to B?

Better to have a few 'entry level' newbies than possibly scare them off with over inflated USA made guitars.

Ovation could be thinking similar.

G8r
Posted 2009-02-11 3:48 PM (#428218 - in reply to #428203)

Most assuredly half-full. Of course KMC/FMIC wants to sell guitars, and sell a lot of Celebs they do. But where do those Celeb owners go when they're ready to trade up to a better guitar? Very, very few will go to a US-made O. After being teased mercilessly by fellow guitarists for their "plastic guitars" and "canoe paddles," and having no reference point for knowing better (the satisfaction of playing a higher-end US model and blowing away the surrounding woodboxers), they opt for a Martin or Taylor, because those do indeed sound better than the Celebs.

Maybe KMC/FMIC don't care about repeat business. Maybe they make enough - whatever that means - on first-time sales that lifelong customers don't matter that much. Maybe they can't possibly keep up with demand for US-made guitars with the production facilities and expertise they have now. Whatever, none of that matters to me.

When someone comes on this board and asks for advice on a guitar purchase, and they're completely unaware of the differences, both quality- and price-wise, between new imports and older domestics, I'll continue to advise (not insist) that they consider the latter before making a decision.
bvince
Posted 2009-02-11 3:53 PM (#428219 - in reply to #428203)

A "newbee" to the OFC that asks a question about purchasing a guitar (especially a newer guitar player)is clearly asking for advice of experienced Ovation owners for a reason. He is trying to avoid the disappointment of a bad purchase. If a friend approached me for my opinion on guitars, I would do my best to steer him or her in the right direction based on my personal experience. The best advise I could give is to seek the most bang for your buck, as with anything. If someone tells me he only has $150, I'd try to help him find a good used Celeb. If he has $250 to spend, I'd steer him to a used Balladeer or a higher-end Celeb. If he says he has $500, I'd encourage him to take his time, do his research, and pursue a higher-end used USA Ovation guitar. I think that the overall consensus here has been that used USA Ovations are about the best deals on the planet. I'm am NOT saying that a better deal cannot be found (somewhere) on a different brand guitar, but there is a REASON they have come to THIS site. Most people who posts opinions state that it is their opinion. For those who strictly want a new instrument, and have stated their price range, it doesn't take much to help them out, and there are always music stores they can go to for face-to-face help.
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-02-11 4:15 PM (#428220 - in reply to #428203)

Why is this so damn complicated? A guy asks for an opinion and that's it. I have no vested interest if he follows it or not. In a lot of cases there's better choices than celebrity. Or maybe not.
bvince
Posted 2009-02-11 4:18 PM (#428221 - in reply to #428203)

Wait a minute! I should have said that!
Auriemma
Posted 2009-02-11 4:30 PM (#428222 - in reply to #428203)

Originally posted by auriemma:
I have NEVER said anything bad about Celebs. My ol' CC-257 still plays just fine (as long as my Elite isn't available).
Well, I just got the call. After 10 long arduous days and nights of waiting, my Elite-T has a fresh setup with 10-46 Nanowebs on her. So I guess my Celeb is back to SUCKS! :eek:

Just kidding. :rolleyes:
muzza
Posted 2009-02-11 4:30 PM (#428223 - in reply to #428203)

If you buy a new low-end guitar for $500, the minute you carry it out the door, its 'value', if you're lucky, is about $300.

If you buy a used, higher quality guitar you PAY the used guitar price. If you sold it coz "guitar playin' ain't fer me" then you sell it and get your money back. The 'value' is already established.

My suggestion... I think the very first thread on this forum should be an 'FAQs for noobz' which would include not just the "which guitar" question, but all the main questions / topics that get the search nazis' blood boiling.
dave3dg
Posted 2009-02-11 4:31 PM (#428224 - in reply to #428203)

"Why is this so damn complicated? A guy asks for an opinion and that's it. I have no vested interest if he follows it or not. In a lot of cases there's better choices than celebrity. Or maybe not."

Thanks for being positive and straight to the point m8 :confused:
Wagonmaster
Posted 2009-02-11 4:45 PM (#428225 - in reply to #428203)

There, Gallerinski, someone finally makes sense. When a thread goes to over 80 responses in less than three days, you know that it's a cluster. KISS, keep it simple. If the guy is a new player, I think that we, as Ovation enthusiasts, suggest an inexpensive Ovation to start. It's that simple. If they get through the sore fingers and time spent learning chords and still remain enthusiastic, they will want to move on up to a better model. If not, well then they haven't spent a whole lot of money up front and can recoup most of it through a sale of the instrument. If they continue to be revved up and become a member here, etc., there in for a great ride. It's just that simple.
Mitzdawg
Posted 2009-02-11 4:54 PM (#428226 - in reply to #428203)

Put a leash on the brontosaurus....

Didja hear the one about the guitar-noob who despite all the teasing from his friends about plastic paddles and toy guitars still has the stones to ask the OFC about buying an Ovation? (Keep in mind that this noob probably barely knows what a fret is, let alone how to check for fret wear. High action/warped neck finish crack versus top crack, do the electronics work OK? - FORGET about that stuff! Unless the noob has access to an experienced player, he won't consider a used unit.) With good reason - I bet half the used guitars I look at in Daddy's have serious issues. yeah - send in the noobs. I'm sure they will get honest, unbiased direction from the salesmen.

Oh-yeah - the punchline:
And the OFC basically says that unless your back is against the wall pricewise, don't buy a Celebrity, buy a used domestic unit, because they are wicked great values.

Hello? A noob hears: The entry-level units are NFG and the high-priced domestics lose value pretty fast. Why do they depreciate so fast? Supply/demand.... Hello, Taylor?

There are some nice Celebs out there that compare well dollar-for-dollar against competitors. We need to ID those models for the noobs and be able to recommend them.

That's why it might be complicated. It's too easy to dismiss all Celebs in one quick statement. "Or maybe not." We'd have to work to uncover which Ovation entry level are best, that's too hard and complex.

While the dinsosaurs stagger off to the tar pits clutching their domestic herds, I'd suggest the rest of us try to uncover those Celebrity gems and be ready to recommend them.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-02-11 5:28 PM (#428227 - in reply to #428203)

Give advice to Newbies from personal experience, not statistics and snobbishness...

Tell them that your CS-257 was/is a Nice guitar. So was/is my CC-255.
But I always want to tell them that although my CC44 was a cool guitar for $400, my used 1621 sounds better and cost less.
(as proof, the CC44 is gone and the 1621 is still here)
But I will comment that the USA bias can be a bit annoying. For those of us who admit to owning (quite a few) Celebrity's... It is nice to aid in the decision if the decision is between a CC44 or a CDX24... (get the CDX, solid wood and better pre-amp. center hole sounds better to the player)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)