The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Question for the mandolin players . . .

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-01-08 9:29 AM (#434497)
Subject: Question for the mandolin players . . .

After accompanying me to one of Matt's workshops last fall, SWMBO thinks I need a mandolin. Whoa! Encouragement at last! There are lots of celebs on the Bay, but the US models don't come up very often, and are about twice the price. Of course I appreciate the difference in quality between the US and offshore models for guitars, and assume the same applies to mandolins. Anybody want to confirm this and/or recommend holding out for a US model?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2009-01-08 9:37 AM (#434498 - in reply to #434497)
Subject: Re: Question for the mandolin players . . .

YES!!

The Playability and diminished "FrustrationFactor" make 'em worth the extra $$.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-01-08 10:01 AM (#434499 - in reply to #434497)

The Applause, Celeb and Ovation mandos all have the same pickup and preamp, so while there is a difference in the amplified tone, it's slight compared to the acoustic sound. Materials, build-quality, feel, playability, acoustic tone etc on the USA mandos are far superior. It's no different to comparing a USA Ovation guitar to an import. The extra bucks are money well spent. Dave has a book version for sale. I have one, and it's superb. If you need something to mess around on and mostly plug-in the Celeb will probably do you. But my guess, bearing in mind the quality of the stuff you already own, you'd get sick of it pretty quick and want a "real" one
Patch
Posted 2009-01-08 10:06 AM (#434500 - in reply to #434497)

Originally posted by Paul Templeman:
The Applause, Celeb and Ovation mandos all have the same pickup and preamp, so while there is a difference in the amplified tone, it's slight compared to the acoustic sound. Feel, playability and acoustic tone etc on the USA mandos is far superior. It's no different to comapring a USA Ovation guitar to an import. The extra bucks are money well spent. Dave has a book version for sale. I have one, and it's superb.
I agree with everything Paul says. However, it's not like the Celebs suck out loud or something either. I played a Celeb for a year and a half before finding my MM-68 at a good price. I then sold my Celeb for a 30-40% profit, which made the price for my USA model that much better.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-01-08 10:08 AM (#434501 - in reply to #434497)

You're right the Celeb mandos don't suck, they are excellent value and if you're not sure if a mando is right for you they're a good way to test the water without burning a hole in the bank balance. The Applause version is pretty sucky though.
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-01-08 10:19 AM (#434502 - in reply to #434497)

Prof. Do a search, there's a very long post I wrote on this topic some years ago. I've been down the whole road and have the wasted money to show for it. It all comes down to what you need and what your expectations are.

I first bought an Applause mando. $299. Not bad for the money. It actually played pretty well. Plugged in was quite nice. But acoustically it sounded pretty bad compared to how I thought I mando should sound. Sold it for about half of what I paid.

Then I upgraded to the Celebrity mando. Total piece of shit. It was completely unplayable. I paid $400. for it and I invested another $300 trying to make it work. Top was sinking, bridge was pulling, neck had a huge hump in it and it sounded like crap. It was a miserable experience and I sold it as a project for about $100.

Decided I wasn't going to waste any more money and bought a USA mando. Actually the Book version. I think I paid $1200 or $1400 for it. Money well spent. It plays nice, sounds nice and is a pleasure to own. Even threw another $300 into it to have the neck glossed. Very nice instrument.

If you're hell bent on being loyal to Ovation then for gods sake buy a USA mando and don't throw away money like I did on the imports.

HOWEVER, with all due respect to Ovation, unless your are really into gigging (which I think you are) or are a total Ovation homo, you should really look at some other brands. Acoustically to my ears the Ovation mandos just don't have the volume, punch and cutting clarity of real wooden mandos. That's why I'm selling mine and shopping for a wooden one.

Yes you can spend many, many thousands on a mando. At the recent Collings factory tour they were building several in the $7k range. But there are really good ones out there under a grand as well. Check out Rover, Michael Kelly and Kentucky brands. As a guitar player you may prefer a "wide neck" mando which makes it a little easier to play.

Here's a really nice Rover for $499. This thing is so much better than any celeb it's not even funny.

ROVER MANDO

Actually, check out the whole Mandolin Store. They're not too far from me. Very cool shop and a really good inventory. $300. to $12,000. Whatever you want to spend.

THE MANDOLIN STORE

Now "rumor" has it that Takamine will be showing their two new mandos at NAMM next week. I've seen photos and they look nice. Might be worth holding out and see what those are all about and what kind of deals our favorite dealer has to offer ...

Just my advice, others will surely disagree.
cliff
Posted 2009-01-08 10:26 AM (#434503 - in reply to #434497)

I can't really see how a Takamine mando would "suck" . . .

The Collings are KILLER!!!

I played Bill's a year or two ago, and it JUST "sings"!! . . .
Patch
Posted 2009-01-08 10:46 AM (#434504 - in reply to #434497)

Originally posted by Gallerinski:
That's why I'm selling mine and shopping for a wooden one.
Not to butt into your business, as I get the impression you already know what you are looking for, but have you checked here:

Randy Wood Guitars

His eBay Store

Randy is one of the best in the business. I've been to his shop, and he has the FINEST mandos I've ever touched (and one I was afraid to touch...an absolute work of art. It's the expensive one in his eBay store.)

He's a great guy too. I first went to him to get some fretwork done on my C. Balladeer. Within five minutes, he was showing me all around his shop.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-01-08 10:49 AM (#434505 - in reply to #434497)

If you need a great sounding mandolin with the classic bluegrass F-style tone, then an Ovation is not it. They do not have a "classic" mandolin sound. But if you need a mandolin with a very good acoustic sound, that records well and can be used in any amplified situation, including loud rock band stage levels the there are very few choices. The Ovation mando and the Godin are about the only viable options. A Takamine could prove to be the third option. All of the others will need after-market pickups, and the results can be variable to say the least.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-01-08 10:54 AM (#434506 - in reply to #434497)

Thanks guys, particularly Paul and Dave. You've confirmed my suspicion. I do want to occasionally include it in gigs, so a pick-up is mandatory. I'll be at NAMM next week and will check out the rumors at the Tak booth. It just so happens that I know a Tak dealer, too.
stephent28
Posted 2009-01-08 11:47 AM (#434507 - in reply to #434497)

Brad, have you considered whether you want a Celtic style or an F-Style mando?

Jimmy Moon mandolins out of Glasgow are supposed to be really nice ones.

I opted for a Celtic style custom built Davy Stuart mando out of New Zealand and have been very happy with it. You can get them fitted with a pickup but I opted for just an acoustic version.

Gallerinski
Posted 2009-01-08 11:56 AM (#434508 - in reply to #434497)

Hey Patch, thanks for the heads up on Randy Wood. I'm aware of his stuff, actually didn't know he had an ebay store. Good thing he combines items for shipping to save you a few bucks (ha ha). That's a little out of my league. I was thinking more like $3k, not $30k. But fun to dream ...

Pauls right about plugged in, Ovation is the best bet so far. Interesting to see how Takamine is gonna stuff a cool tube into a mando body. Actually a mando proto was at the show last year just not out in public view.

Brad just buy my Book Mando and be done with it. I can bring it to Calif and hand deliver it to you ...

Dave
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-01-08 11:56 AM (#434509 - in reply to #434497)

Originally posted by stephent28:
I opted for a Celtic style custom built Davy Stuart
NICE! I'm not a mondo player, but that looks sweet.
stephent28
Posted 2009-01-08 12:00 PM (#434510 - in reply to #434497)

Thanks Iffy. It was very reasonable at the time 3-4 years ago (course the dollar vs NZ was much more favorable a few years ago). Seems like I paid around $1200 for it but I might be a couple hundred off one way or the other.
stephent28
Posted 2009-01-08 12:05 PM (#434511 - in reply to #434497)

Dave's book mando would be a sweet grab. The MM68 I had was an excellent mando for the money. The cases that come with them are the best!!!
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-01-08 12:08 PM (#434512 - in reply to #434497)

Jimmy Moon mandolins out of Glasgow are supposed to be really nice ones.
I know Jimmy, he does great work. He's originaly from Arran and has family where I live. He makes great guitars and his Celtic-style mando family stuff is killer. He also makes some nice electric mandolins with classic electric guitar body shapes. Steve Earle used one for a while

Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-01-08 12:16 PM (#434513 - in reply to #434497)

You might also check out A.L. Smart mandos out of McCall, Idaho. He may only be locally famous and I don't think he uses preamps.
stephent28
Posted 2009-01-08 12:18 PM (#434514 - in reply to #434497)

When I was considering which one to buy I narrowed it down to one by Jimmy Moon or Davy Stuart. Both were HIGHLY recommended and the price for custom built stuff was exceptional.

I think I ultimately decided on the Stuart based on a shorter delivery time and a more favorable (at the time) exchange rate.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-01-08 12:23 PM (#434515 - in reply to #434497)

Both were HIGHLY recommended and the price for custom built stuff was exceptional.
Jimmy doesn't charge enough for his instruments. When we out at the Shanghai MusicMesse a few years ago he had some Brazillian rosewood guitars on his booth at prices you'd expect to pay for Indian. His work is as good as just about any small-shop luthier anywhere, but his prices are comparable to some factory production.
stephent28
Posted 2009-01-08 12:36 PM (#434516 - in reply to #434497)

I first heard about Moon from a local guy here who owned one of his guitars. He had purchased it when he lived in the New York area. Don't remember the materials used but it was gorgeous and SOUNDED KILLER!
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2009-01-08 2:03 PM (#434517 - in reply to #434497)

Morgan Monroe makes fantastic mando's. They range in price from $420 for an all mahogany A model to $1200 for an all maple F model. I know a guy who sold his "The Gibson" in favor of this mandolin. He made a bunch of money and got a better sounding instrument. The MMS-9FE/C has a solid spruce top and Fishman electronics for a little over $700. All Morgan Monroes come with a lifetime warranty.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-01-08 2:15 PM (#434518 - in reply to #434497)

I've thought about it, Dave. Last I knew, I was, like, third on the waiting list.
stephent28
Posted 2009-01-08 2:18 PM (#434519 - in reply to #434497)

From Dave's message it sounds like your #1 on the list. Jump on it. The "book" will probably always hold a better value than the MM68s.
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-01-08 2:38 PM (#434520 - in reply to #434497)

Originally posted by ProfessorBB:
I've thought about it, Dave. Last I knew, I was, like, third on the waiting list.
Some crooner in Scotland thought he needed two of them, but I brought him to his senses.

Another chap wanted the pair of Book Elite + Book Mando and assumed it was a buy one, get one free deal. I've subsequently sold the Book Elite to another upstanding gentleman.

So if you are interested drop me a PM or email.
cliff
Posted 2009-01-08 3:04 PM (#434521 - in reply to #434497)

". . Some crooner in Scotland . ."

Bing MacCrosby??
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)