The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
New strings on my Adamas W597.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> The Adamas GuitarMessage format

Mike S.
Posted 2022-09-14 12:26 PM (#557716 - in reply to #557715)
Subject: Re: New strings on my Adamas W597.

Hey, OMA,
"You got that right, Pontiac!"
Mike S.,
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Love O Fair
Posted 2022-09-21 5:19 PM (#557744 - in reply to #452905)

I went with the Mangan 12-53 round core on the 1627 RI and it turned it into a whole new guitar (in a good way). Flat out amazed at the difference between them and the D'Add EJ16's they replaced. This is my first use of round core in a long, long time, so I will assume it was that element switch that brought forth such a dramatic change. Or maybe that Mangan just makes a better string all around, so I pass my thanks to 2WD for steering me toward the brand. My 1771 has a similar "blah" performance with the EJ16's and I am looking forward to making the same change to measure any comparison there as well.
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2022-09-21 8:56 PM (#557745 - in reply to #557744)

Love O Fair - 2022-09-21 5:19 PM

I went with the Mangan 12-53 round core on the 1627 RI and it turned it into a whole new guitar (in a good way). Or maybe that Mangan just makes a better string all around, so I pass my thanks to 2WD for steering me toward the brand. My 1771 has a similar "blah" performance with the EJ16's and I am looking forward to making the same change to measure any comparison there as well.

Al glad you liked the Curt Mangan strings I'm a big fan of them,I think they make a consistently excellent string with high standards,cooll that it did so much for your 1627 now if we could send some to Mike S.
Kevin

Love O Fair
Posted 2022-09-22 12:26 AM (#557747 - in reply to #452905)

@2WD - >>>now if we could send some to Mike S<<<

Carrier pigeon perhaps? It still amazes me that the postal service there would care or bother to open a birthday card-type envelop simply because it is slightly puffy with the thickness or weight of a pack of stings. But wait.. what if it were a large birthday card with the strings spread in their individual envelops all across the card? Taped in place so they don't slide into too thick of a mass. Dang, now I'm afraid they are going to come and arrest and extradite me for being so diabolical about it.
Mike S.
Posted 2022-09-22 1:28 PM (#557752 - in reply to #557747)

Hey, LOF, and 2WD,
Thanks for the input, and kind consideration. ICYMI, being "diabolical", about the strings is not new. Back in the day, c.1975? there actually was a guitar string company,( whose full name escapes me at the moment? maybe sold through St. Louis Music?), based in the USA, that sold their string sets in long paper tubes for each individual string, apparently because, (a) coiling the strings in a package killed the sound, and (b) the strings in a symphony orchestra are all packaged that way, for each of the individual players, who have them custom made, at great expense. I don't recall whether the orchestral strings had their own flight cases or not, but I'd venture to say, yes, the post office here in CANADA, and /or any airline back in the day, would have had absolutely no trouble either losing/destroying a 36 X 6 in. (Insert "Mike S. don't do metric, 'cause I grew up on a farm", here, eh?) cardboard box that these peculiar guitar strings came in, even if it was marked, "FRAGILE!" and/or "THIS SIDE UP!". "There is nothing new under the sun." Thanks again for your kind help.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
Mike S.
Posted 2022-09-30 1:46 PM (#557775 - in reply to #557752)

Hello, Everyone,
I have good news, and I have bad news. The good news is that the NOS 2016 Historic Re-Issue (Red Label) ADAMAS Strings on Amazon.ca have finally come down to a reasonable price of about $16.00 CDN, so I guess good things do come to those who wait, but now the bad news is this; even if I ordered them today, they won't be delivered for another 6 weeks?, so I'll keep waiting. BLAME CANADA... POST!! Christmas is coming! I'm praying for God to give me patience, but I wanted that yesterday, too. More to follow. STYAY SAFE!
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
Love O Fair
Posted 2022-09-30 9:05 PM (#557778 - in reply to #452905)

But ya gotta figure.. you won't want those strings any less in 6 weeks than you do now. Order several!
Mike S.
Posted 2022-10-01 12:44 PM (#557780 - in reply to #557778)

Hey, LOF,
Thanks for the advice. As of this writing, no further information from Amazon.ca about the quantity, and/or quality of these ADAMAS strings is available. I posted a question about this on their website, so I'm still playing a waiting game to some degree. Here's hoping I can get one or two sets before Christmas. Stranger things have happened.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA

alpep
Posted 2022-10-01 6:48 PM (#557781 - in reply to #452905)

d'addario are a good choice and were the strings used at the factory for many years.
Mike S.
Posted 2022-10-03 2:53 PM (#557786 - in reply to #557781)

Hello, Alpep,
Thanks for the advice. I can get D'Addario Strings through a local music store here in Ottawa, who will actually deliver them to my place. The store owner, and my guitar tech, are both good to do house calls, even in the present situation; although they are on opposite sides concerning this brand. It seems the previous version, c. 2016? of the D'Addario XT Strings left black marks everywhere on your hands, but the newest XS version does not. The current NOS 2018 ADAMAS Nuova Coated Strings that are on my guitar now have worn out, and my guitar tech only put them on this past July 2022. I'm still looking for the older 2016 NOS ADAMAS 50th Anniversary Set in the Black Packaging, but I don't know if I'll ever find them again. I've always used D'Addario Strings on my Ovation guitars, when I couldn't find ADAMAS and/or they were discontinued. I'm trying to support local business here, too, and as you said, D'Addario's are a good choice, especially in my current circumstances. Thanks again for your help.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
Mike S.
Posted 2022-10-07 1:54 PM (#557799 - in reply to #557786)

Hello, Everyone,
As I mentioned in another post, my friend, and mentor, Bruce will help me change the strings on my Ovation guitar when he returns to Ottawa next week. My Ovation really needed the string change yesterday. I'm not sure about the Martin 2.0 Life Span Strings for Ovation/Adamas guitars, so if any OFC players have used them before, please LMK about your own experiences with these. No, they are not the usual ADAMAS/D'Addario Strings that are OEM on our beloved guitars, but I got them a huge discount. They came without any Martin packaging, just loose in bubble wrap, so Bruce thinks they were made in China. Oops. Kinda suspicious stuff, eh? More later. STAY SAFE!
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
Mike S.
Posted 2022-10-16 12:04 PM (#557807 - in reply to #452905)

Hello, Everyone,
New strings are now on my Ovation guitar and are getting rested for a bit to stretch out to Standard Tuning. My friend and mentor, Bruce, still thinks they are not genuine, but also thinks they do sound really good on my guitar. My Dad said, "New isn't always better." The 2018 NOS Historic Reissue Adamas Strings (w/c.1980 Red Packaging) now being sold on Amazon.ca are still available, and they keep coming DOWN in price!! So... "Igottagetmesommathose!" More to follow. STAY SAFE!
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA

Edited by Mike S. 2022-10-16 12:06 PM
Mike S.
Posted 2022-11-04 12:18 PM (#557827 - in reply to #557807)

Hello, Everyone,
The new (supposedly?) Martin Life Span 2.0 Strings that are now on my Ovation guitar sound very similar to the Uncoated ADAMAS 2018 Historic Reissue Strings in the Red Packaging. These particular strings are described as, "Treated Strings" on the Martin website, so as I mentioned in another post, we'll see how long they last. "Coated", or "Treated", what's the difference? Anyone? The current price for the ADAMAS 2018 Historic Reissue Strings offered on Amazon.ca has leveled off at about ~$16.00 CDN., which works for me. Yes, I'm waiting for Christmas, hoping they will come down in price again? More later. STAY SAFE!
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
Mike S.
Posted 2022-11-10 2:17 PM (#557844 - in reply to #452905)

Hello, Everyone,
Christmas must be coming early, because the price of the 2018 ADAMAS Reissue Strings now selling on Amazon.ca just went DOWN again today to ~$13.00 CDN!! Should I wait until they drop to $10.00 CDN? "LET'S FIND OUT!" More to Follow. STAY SAFE!
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
Mike S.
Posted 2022-11-11 1:48 AM (#557847 - in reply to #557844)

Hello, Everyone,
I got myself an early Christmas gift, and finally bought the 2018 ADAMAS Reissue Strings on Amazon.ca, because the price, $12.85 CDN, and the delivery time here in CANADA goes back up, and also gets delayed considerably after tomorrow. They will be here by Saturday.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA

Edited by Mike S. 2022-11-11 1:50 AM
Mike S.
Posted 2022-11-11 2:39 AM (#557848 - in reply to #557847)

Hello, Everyone,
Apparently, I was wrong about the shipping time. The ADAMAS Strings will arrive here by Nov. 20, 2022. They may be the last set available at the price I indicated earlier. We'll see.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
Mike S.
Posted 2022-11-17 11:33 AM (#557852 - in reply to #557848)

Hello, Everyone,
The ADAMAS NOS 2018 Historic Reissue Light Gauge Phosphor Bronze Strings (.0120-.053) from Amazon.ca arrived today. I'll put them on my Ovation guitar when the current Martin set now on it are done. It seems I'm always experimenting with different strings, but I've long preferred the ADAMAS and/or D'Addario OEM Strings for all my Ovation guitars. I can actually get D'Addario Strings delivered here in Ottawa, by a local music store, if I need them in a hurry, but I won't be doing do that for a while. Keep playing your Ovation/ADAMAS guitars and STAY SAFE!
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)