The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Hi!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

lapetrarca
Posted 2012-04-17 12:41 PM (#453289)
Subject: Hi!

New member here just stopping in to say "Hi!" and maybe ask a question.......or two.

Forgive me if this is considered heresy, I'm not looking to start any flame wars or anything like that but, I recently acquired an Applause by Ovation model AE 128 a/e guitar in a trade for a pair of blues harps.

I know the Applause is considered the entry level, budget minded, import guitar (mine was made in Indonesia) and that might offend some folks so, no offense intended.

Anyway, Been scouring the local CL for the Summer 2012 Edition boating/beaching/camping/travel guitar for a couple of weeks.

I came across a listing for an individual that was looking to sell outright or trade an older Applause a/e guitar for a couple of good blues harps. I e-mailed and told him I had a couple of Lee Oskars and a "Dummies....." book w/CD to trade if interested. He replied and asked if he could have a couple of days to think about it.

A couple of days go by and he asks if I'm still interested. I replied and we arranged to meet close by.

I expected him to have some old, beat up, piece of junk guitar so my expectations weren't set too high. Well, much to my surprise, he pulls out an Applause AE 128.

He said it was his Dad's and that his Dad gave it to him when he left for college. It was dusty, the action was kinda' high and it needed new strings. Apart from a couple of small dings on the face and headstock, it was in very good shape. The neck is arrow straight. I figured I'd clean it up and flip it with no problem and get something else.

Well, I got it home, stripped it down, cleaned it up, removed a couple of the shims from under the saddle, replaced the battery and strung it up.

The action was now down to the point that it plays like an electric...fast and smooth. The tone is surprisingly not bad if a little thin but, plugged in it's a whole 'nother ballgame! It sounds SWEET! I even ordered a little battery powered amp for my dockside jam sessions!

My search is over......it's a keeper! It'll never be my "go to" guitar but, for what it cost me, it'll sure suffice for what it's intended for but I can't seem to find any info on date of manufacture. The serial number is 8612225.

Anybody know anything about these?

Thanks in advance!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2012-04-17 1:02 PM (#453291 - in reply to #453289)
Subject: Re: Hi!

Hello lapetrarca and welcome.

Nice find and no worries... a good playing guitar is a good playing guitar.

I also upgraded your account so you can join conversations in the general forums.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)