The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New Folklore - Old Fan - New Member - need help already!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Matt12Fret
Posted 2012-04-20 11:00 PM (#453485)
Subject: New Folklore - Old Fan - New Member - need help already!

Hi Folks,

Newbie here from Raleigh, NC. I am not yet allowed inside the "Deep Bowl" to post. Based on the OFC unity I have seen, I figure I am in the right place however!

I wanted a Balladeer as a college kid in the mid 70's real bad - didn't have the $$$. I now own a few Taylors, a Bedell 12-Fret Parlor, a Loar Small Body OO, a Breedlove C-25, and some other keepers. I always buy used, and get guitars, cars, (and women) right. Except my Ex that is! My interest has shifted towards 12 Fret Slotheads for Fingerstyle Blues. BUT, this here pushing 60 YO hippie ain't paying between $3K and $4K or more for a Taylor, Martin, Collings, Santa Cruz, etc.........12 Fret! That's nuts!

I had a flashback to the '70s earlier this month, and when I came out of it, I had a '76 1614-4 that someone got on eBay for $400 - at my dorstep. It was just like the buyer said, and the images showed - no issues except for a couple "wee small" dingbumps on top, and a musty OHSC. All the wife said was "hey that looks cool, why is is shaped like that, and it's 36 years old"? This baby can hang with the 0028V thats been at the Guitar Center for two years now, and the Sinker Redwood 12-Fret Slot that Taylor had at the last Road Show. I am truly amazed! I will send some pics when I am able to post them.

Flashforward......Oh wow - bummer! Today, I just happened to notice there is a Gibson Bell Shaped three hole truss rod cover on it! Shows no part number on the Ovation Website for 1614 TRC, but I emailed them just the same. It is supposed to be spear shaped - black with a white edge. There is a '70s Ovation TRC on eBay for $79! It doesn't even have Porter Wagoner on it either. Anybody got one out there for a fair price? They may be interchangable on the old models, even though this is a slothead. I am a newbie and don't know the secrets......

My other option is to order one from John at TerrapinGuitars.com out in Oregon. He is good, and makes custom pickguards and truss rod covers. He even does some OE work as well. He has the material, and all I would need is a template or tracing of a 1614 TRC, or other matching three hole truss rod cover that will work. This may be my best option, and cost me $15 - free shipping.

If anyone has ideas, a TRC that will work or, or can send me a tracing/template I would be very thankful.

Cheers!

Matt Armistead
8404 Harbison Way
Raleigh, NC 27615
919 870 6355
marmist978@aol.com
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Damon67
Posted 2012-04-20 11:06 PM (#453486 - in reply to #453485)
Subject: Re: New Folklore - Old Fan - New Member - need help already!

Matt, you obviously belong here. I would suggest you copy this into your very first post in the "General" Section. There's more people that can chime in there.

You're a full fledged member now, welcome to the Club!

Damon
Matt12Fret
Posted 2012-04-20 11:11 PM (#453487 - in reply to #453485)

shall try Damon - Thanks!
Matt12Fret
Posted 2012-04-20 11:29 PM (#453488 - in reply to #453485)

Ok. How do start a new post? I can copy but dont see a place to start a new thread in General
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)