The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
What is a Baladeer 4861 worth?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

PositivePhil
Posted 2012-04-29 8:39 AM (#453892)
Subject: What is a Baladeer 4861 worth?

Hi all! Great and informative forum.

My uncle recently passed away (and I miss him) and he left his Ovation to my cousin. I play on the worship team at church and I think this guitar might be a good fit.

I have always liked Ovations, I can't explain why, and now I think I'd like to get my uncle's old guitar. Part of it is sentimental, part of it is practical. I asked my cousin if he'd like to sell it (he doesn't play) and he said yes. We just need to agree on a price.

Through a search and a half hour of reading on this forum I have been able to determine that we're talking about a Korean Baladeer 4861. The only thing my cousin texted me was the 4861 part and the fact that he thought it was produced around the year 2000.

The guitar is in great shape and it comes with a hard shell case. Uncle Jim hardly ever played it.

So I figured I'd use this forum to ask the experts... what is this puppy worth? Keep in my it's my cousin that I'm buying it from. I want to give him a fair offer. Please reply with any suggestions.

Perhaps in the future I will use this forum to get to know my new/used Ovation a little better.

Thanks!

Phil
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick B.
Posted 2012-04-29 9:11 AM (#453898 - in reply to #453892)
Subject: Re: What is a Baladeer 4861 worth?

Hi Phil,
I did a couple of quick searches and found one listed for a couple of hundred. I suspect the sentimental value will exceed the street price. Looks like OMA sold one a while back. Maybe he'll see this and give us his insight. Thanks for stopping by.

Q: What is my Ovation guitar worth?
A: This is probably the most frequently asked question, and the hardest to answer. Worth is very subjective and changes rapidly with fickle markets. What something ultimately is worth is a combination of what one person is willing to pay versus what another person is willing to accept. Many factors, not the least of which is the actual condition of the guitar, will affect the selling price. There are so many other factors involved in pricing a musical instrument. Is is collectable? Is it rare? Is it popular?

The best way to get an idea of what your guitar might sell for is to use the "Completed Auctions" feature of eBay Search to see what similar models have sold for recently. Other online resources include www.gbase.com and www.guitarlist.com. Your best bet, unless you need it appraised for insurance or other reasons, is to try and ask yourself "How much is this instrument worth to me?" More value related resources include the "The Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars" and "The Blue Book of Electric Guitars" both edited by S. P. Fjestad and available in paperback by Gurney Brown. There is also the software version "The S-Book of Guitars" by S. P. Fjestad. Click here to connect to Blue Book Publishing, Inc.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2012-04-29 2:28 PM (#453912 - in reply to #453898)

nickbtx - 2012-04-29 7:11 AM
Looks like OMA sold one a while back. Maybe he'll see this and give us his insight.

I have owned two of them.
I bought a "Natural" one for $351 in 2006... Auctioned it on eBay and got $200 for it in 2007
More recently I bought a "Burst" one for $175, cleaned it up and only got $150 for it on eBay in 2010.
(both of those prices include the case, but do not include shipping)
These are Solid-Top Super-Shallow Balladeers made in Korea.
They play much better than the price would suggest.

Since y'all are Related and he Doesn't Play... He should just Give It To You.
But since you are Related he probably expects you to pay MORE than it is worth.

You can find a USA Balladeer on eBay for around $300 - $400. Offer him a Hundred bucks.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2012-04-29 3:22 PM (#453913 - in reply to #453892)

Okay... I reconsidered my answer.

Here is a more informative answer.
One sold HERE for $350.
Here is one that was selling for $360

Oh well, that is all that I could find.
Both of these could be quite old... some things stay forever on the internet.
I would still offer him a hunnert bux.
PositivePhil
Posted 2012-04-29 9:09 PM (#453936 - in reply to #453892)

You guys are AWESOME! I feel generous. I'll go $150. What is it about the Ovation that I really dig? I wish I could explain it...
I have played the guitar (in acoustic mode only) and you're right, it does play real nice.
I'll let you know what happens.

"Lucy...you got some splanin' to do..." ~ Ricky Ricardo
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)