The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Advice With new Ovation please

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Wanted a Lag
Posted 2012-05-09 1:57 PM (#454360)
Subject: Advice With new Ovation please

Hi,
Brand new Ovation Owner here. I bought an elite 1778 all black mid bowl. I'm having trouble "enjoying" playing this guitar. When sitting down it slightly rolls off my legs. I knew about this in advance and am OK with it. BUT the problem I'm having is playing it strapped on while standing. It appears to still 'roll" away from me. The guitar is making me play it almost flat or horizontal, instead of a regular guitar where it sits vertical on my stomach. I think this not only looks stupid, way more importantly it hurts my wrist and hand. i have played it for 2 hours and am not happy. I am ready to send it back. What do you guys/gals think?
Thanks,
G
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stonebobbo
Posted 2012-05-09 2:10 PM (#454363 - in reply to #454360)
Subject: Re: Advice With new Ovation please

Two things that often cause this: 1) You are applying a lot of pressure on the upper bout of the guitar with your forearm, 2) your strap is too short. See if fixing either of these things helps.
Damon67
Posted 2012-05-09 2:23 PM (#454366 - in reply to #454360)
Subject: RE: Advice With new Ovation please

Yeah, what Bobbo said.

My first Ovation acoustic was a 1778LX Elite as well. The mid-bowl seems to roll on me more than the deeper bowls do. I actually bought a "Standing Ovation" and had no more problems with my 1778.

Last I heard, OFC members get a discount... and congrats! You've been upgraded to a full fledged member!

Tom Scott is the guy you wanna talk to, here's his site:

http://www.greatscottmfg.com/

Edited by Damon67 2012-05-09 2:26 PM
Wanted a Lag
Posted 2012-05-09 2:26 PM (#454367 - in reply to #454360)

I think I am defintely putting pressure on the upper part of the the guitar. Will try not to. However it will be hard because I sort of pinch there to hold guitar in optimal place.
Background: I hav eonly been playing for 2 years, but can play. I play mostly strummin grock covers, and a touch of finger style, blackbird, dear prudence. Play mostly a strat or a full size dreadnaught. Almost always play standing.
- Is it seriously worth it to play it for a week before giving up?
Wanted a Lag
Posted 2012-05-09 2:27 PM (#454368 - in reply to #454360)

thanks damon, i will check it out
stonebobbo
Posted 2012-05-09 2:29 PM (#454369 - in reply to #454360)

Yes, it's worth trying for a while. It's sorta like trying to throw a football like you throw a baseball ... you have to slightly change your mechanics. It may or may not work for you. If not, try out a contour bowl from Ovation ... they work really well and still give you the great Ovation playability.
Damon67
Posted 2012-05-09 2:47 PM (#454372 - in reply to #454360)

Again what Bobbo said... How the heck are you Bobbo?

Lag - I eventually sold my 1778LX, Standing Ovation and all, and replaced it with a C2078LX with the contour bowl. The contour bowl addresses the sliding off your leg issue while sitting down too. It actually sits in my lap better than a wood backed guitar does now.

The Standing Ovation is a cheap fix though, coming in shipped at under $30

I do have to say, sometimes I felt a litte funny putting that thing on when I was around my Ovation friends... kinda like riding with training wheels.

Edited by Damon67 2012-05-09 2:51 PM
Wanted a Lag
Posted 2012-05-09 3:15 PM (#454373 - in reply to #454360)

OK, i will not give up so easily. I will play it for a week before final judgement. The reason I bought it was to have a strong resilient good "plugged in" guitar. It does soudn good, and does sound good plugged in. It looks lresilient and strong too.
Patch
Posted 2012-05-09 4:06 PM (#454379 - in reply to #454360)
Subject: RE: Advice With new Ovation please

It's funny, I have the exact opposite problem. I've played Ovations for decades now, so when I finally bought a dreadnaught guitar, it actually felt uncomfortable/awkward when I strapped it on. I'm getting used to it though.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)