The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Finally I'm here ! ! !

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Old-Folklore
Posted 2012-05-26 4:27 PM (#455028)
Subject: Finally I'm here ! ! !

My first exposure to Ovation Guitars was when Glen Campbell started using a Balladeer. Then in '74 my kid brother bought 1111-4 Balladeer with case and strap, and I fell in love. Finally in 1980 I took my dollars to the nearest Daddy's Junky Music shop in Portsmouth, NH to by a Balladeer, but alas, they didn't have any in stock. So not wanting to wait, and not knowing what I was doing ( my only experience was a cheap ukelele as a kid and then a cheap $39 cast off guitar, from my kid brother, which essentially stood in a corner of the den), I bought that beautiful yet out of proportion left over 1979 Folklore 1114-4. I could hardly play it, me with my small hands, but I thought it had a good sound.
Well, with life and work and family and career, the Folklore made it's way to the back of a closet and there it sat mostly untouched since 1985 - until last spring, 2011... long story short (if you are not already asleep), the top was quite a bit sunken, but everything still attached and the neck wasn't bad and no wood cracks, so heavy rehydrating, slowly at first, switched to nylon strings, truss rod adjustment, and voila - it a little over a year and she's become pretty nice, but mostly just a dream to play with a voice that has continued to evolve over this past year. A couple month ago I went back to steel (light Silk n Steels) and she sings just beautifully. And I can actually play a bit now, I'm into it, learning everyday, and enjoying it thoroughly.
A great design, with the 12 fret and open headstock and 1 7/8" nut - looked silly to back in 1980, but looks gorgeous to me now.
So, here I am, a 64 year old guitar rookie .......... who woulda thunk it ! ! !
I'm on the lookout for another Folklore, vintage would be good, but the newer 6774LX intrigues me, with the 1 3/4" nut. Any thoughts?
Anyway, I've often looked on the forum and like what i see and read. Glad to be a part of it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick B.
Posted 2012-05-26 6:28 PM (#455031 - in reply to #455028)
Subject: Re: Finally I'm here ! ! !

It's about time you got here. Sounds like you have all the required attributes to be part of this group: 1) you like Ovation 2) you have an Ovation and 3) you want another Ovation! You're going to fit right in. I don't have any experience with the 6774LX, but I'm sure someone who does will chime in. Welcome to the group!
Nick
Damon67
Posted 2012-05-26 9:30 PM (#455033 - in reply to #455028)

Welcome You're now a full fledged member.

I can telll you I'd love to have some time with an LX Folklore, but theyre tough to come by.
Old-Folklore
Posted 2012-05-26 11:13 PM (#455036 - in reply to #455028)

Thanks Nick B. and Damon67 - I'm glad to be on board. I believe the LX Folklores are 2773 and 6773 for classical nylon, and 2774 and 6774 for steel. I may be wrong but I think the 2774LX has a 1 7/8" nut and the 6774LX has the 1 3/4" nut....... the 6774LX would be a dream, cause getting an FD-14 is nearly impossible......... But I cannot bad mouth my trusty 1114-4... just sweet and easy to play.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)