The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Need information about a pawnshop Ovation guitar

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

JazzShred
Posted 2012-06-30 1:05 PM (#456026)
Subject: Need information about a pawnshop Ovation guitar

Hello everyone,

I just found and bought this Ovation acoustic-electric for $80 at a pawnshop. The bridge and the electronics on it must be fixed and two tuning pegs are missing. It also needs a good clean up. I am a noob when it comes to Ovation guitars (and acoustics, acoustic/electrics too) so I don't know what model it is. I've searched the net for information but haven't been able to find anything. It is made in China and it says "Academy" on the headstock. There isn't any model no marked anywhere on the guitar. It is sunburst and has these "sound holes" on the body. I didn't find any "Academy" models on the official Ovation site. What model could this be and how can I track it?? It's obviously a cheapy but I'm still curious to know what model it is and how it will sound once it's fixed (the neck on this feels great btw).

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Damon67
Posted 2012-06-30 2:33 PM (#456032 - in reply to #456026)
Subject: Re: Need information about a pawnshop Ovation guitar

Welcome to the club!

I'll let Mr Ovation chime in on this one. He has a soft spot for those.
stonebobbo
Posted 2012-06-30 6:01 PM (#456038 - in reply to #456026)

Gotta be a knockoff. The Academy guitars were center soundholes and they were not made in China.
JazzShred
Posted 2012-06-30 7:29 PM (#456041 - in reply to #456026)
Subject: RE: Need information about a pawnshop Ovation guitar

Thanks for the help Damon67. I think I'll hang here and learn more about Ovation guitars. The one I got is unplayable now but I'm already liking the shape and the whole concept of these guitars.

Stonebobbo, I'm starting to suspect that too. I also found a website that sells all kinds of Chinese copies, some for as little as $30. They are selling various copies of Ovation models for 30-60 bucks. So this could be one of these. But I'm not sure.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2012-06-30 10:24 PM (#456047 - in reply to #456026)

Post a picture if you get a chance. Of all the knock-offs to knock off, I find the Academy an odd choice. It was a nice entry level guitar at the time, but geez... if you're copying anyway... just put an Ovation logo on it. Just seems odd and would love to see a picture. Pawn Shop finds are always cool.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)