The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
2080 and idea,how does it sound

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> The Adamas GuitarMessage format

rhoadsscholar
Posted 2012-10-02 7:04 AM (#459892)
Subject: 2080 and idea,how does it sound

So how does the preamp in the idea stack up to th op-pro, VIP and others. I am getting my 2080 back and recently aquired an idea preamp.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlySig
Posted 2012-10-02 9:08 AM (#459896 - in reply to #459892)
Subject: Re: 2080 and idea,how does it sound

I find the iDea to be a bit thin sounding compared to the OpPro series in our O and A collection. At least with the same amp eq. I have not messed much with it for live performance but I think you should be able to eq it to get a pretty good sound. The OpPro series preamps I just pull down the mids a little bit on the preamp itself and they all sound great in the amp/pa. The iDea seemed quite a bit different the few times I've played with it. The iDea is not my first choice live preamp unless the recorded tracks or looper functions are desired.

Having said that, the iDea is a super tool and quite adequate in sound. I would never discourage someone from buying one or trying one.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2012-10-02 9:21 AM (#459897 - in reply to #459892)

Practicing with the iDea's built-in preset tracks is a blast, but after a month or so, I was ready to move on to some new tracks and there just aren't many online that I can find. In addition, recording practice licks is hampered by the fact that you have to stop playing and use your hands to fiddle with the stop button. I find find that floor loopers are much more functional for this purpose. With respect to its tone, I agree with FlySig and much prefer the richness of the higher end OpPro units over the iDea.
bburg
Posted 2012-10-02 1:28 PM (#459905 - in reply to #459892)

I agree with both of you. It's a wonderful tool to use it it is bult for, to record an idea and it is a really good preamp in the guitars which it is sold in.
But in the highend guitars have to be a highend preamp.....

Bernie
Damon67
Posted 2012-10-02 3:08 PM (#459907 - in reply to #459892)

Bernie hit it on the head. It's a learning tool and a thing to record what it's named after.... an iDea! It's not a looper, or any other sort of live tool.

My opinion... Stick with an OpPro for live, pop the iDea in when you're writing or noodling on your own (if you choose to)
rhoadsscholar
Posted 2012-10-02 9:42 PM (#459923 - in reply to #459892)

Thanks for the feedback. Iwas curious about the quality of the preamp. Will be getting the 2080 thursday and will take it for a spin
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)