The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
neck problem

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

wkbryan
Posted 2011-03-22 12:18 AM (#1862)
Subject: neck problem

I have an American made Ultra Deluxe that is a little over 25 years old and it has a significant neck problem that I'd like to get some opinions on. Several years ago I had the guitar leaning against a chair in the living room and heard it make an odd noise. Nothing touched it and it didn't fall over. I didn't think much about it until I picked it up a few minutes later and it was grossly out of tune. Worse yet, I couldn't get it in tune. I took it to a local Ovation dealer and the guitar guy felt how loose the neck was, tightened the bolt and gave it back. He said he'd never seen one do that and that what he did might be all that was needed, or it might be a sign of a bigger problem. By the end of the next day the problem was back. It sat in the case for a long time and I finally decided to remove the neck bolt, put some toothpicks soaked with wood glue into the bolt hole, let them dry, and then re-install the bolt. This seemed to work OK for a while if I was very careful and kept extra light strings on it. As time has gone on I am once again unable to keep it in tune.

I would like to get the guitar where it can be used at least occasionally but can't afford to put a lot into it right now. I contacted Ovation and all they would say is that I should ship it to them and let them look at it and let me know what they think. If I choose not to fix it they'll send it back if I pay for the shipping. Well, I'm not too keen on devoting $100 to shipping the guitar both ways just to get an estimate for repairs.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I would love to find someone in the Montgomery, AL area with some Ovation experience that can provide me some insight.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Damon67
Posted 2011-03-22 1:20 AM (#1863 - in reply to #1862)
Subject: Re: neck problem

Welcome wkbryan,

I've updated your status, so feel free to post in the main "General" section. There may be a few folks here that can give some ideas.

Damon
rickypaul
Posted 2011-03-29 1:44 PM (#1864 - in reply to #1862)
Subject: Re: neck problem

If you don't wish to send it to the mother ship, it sounds as if you need to find a local luthier. No, not the guy in the retail shop, but a real luthier.

Ovation website lists these guys as the Montgomery AL authorized repair center. You might want to start there.

BAILEY BROTHERS MUSIC
231 E JEFFERSON ST
MONTGOMERY, AL 36104
334-262-7827

Good Luck
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)