The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Hello from new guy

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

dp2macrae
Posted 2011-03-21 9:48 PM (#1865)
Subject: Hello from new guy

Hi:

I just joined up and I'm hoping to learn a lot from my fellow club members.

I'm a newbie to guitar playing and I just purchased a 1998 Ovation Adamas 1597 (which I think is known as an "SMT."). Can anyone tell me what, if anything, SMT stands for?

Anyway, it's in the mail. I know it has the Optima pre-amp/control panel and I read the Optima manual. I haven't yet seen the output jack configuration (though I know it has two), and don't know how to figure out which one to plug a particular amp into (especially if the jacks look the same). All I'm interested in doing is buying a practice amp for personal use, but am unsure of where to plug it in. I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Waskel
Posted 2011-03-21 10:13 PM (#1866 - in reply to #1865)
Subject: Re: Hello from new guy

Welcome.
SMT is the designation for the unidirectional carbon fiber tops (fiber all laid one direction), as opposed to the CVT where the fiber is laid in a crossweave fashion.
If it has an Optima pre-amp (my favorite) the two output jacks will be a standard 1/4" jack and an XLR jack such as you find on microphones. If you're going into an amp, use the 1/4". If you're going any kind of distance or can go straight into a board, definitely use the XLR if you can. Less interference and a lower impedance cable will translate into cleaner sound. If you have the right cable (pin 1 grounded to the sleeve) you can also power the pre-amp from phantom power, if the board has it.
dp2macrae
Posted 2011-03-21 11:55 PM (#1867 - in reply to #1865)

Thanks for replying, Waskel, and for the helpful info. Regarding SMT and CVT, is one superior to the other and, if so, why?

Regarding the Optima, If I understood you correctly, if I buy a practice amp, I use the 1/4" jack to plug the appropriate cable into.

Thanks again.
TAFKAR
Posted 2011-03-22 1:00 AM (#1868 - in reply to #1865)

Yep. Practice amp will work fine with the 1/4" jack. Get an acoustic amp if you can, as they are designed for acoustic guitars. An electric amp is designed to change the signal, not produce a clean signal.
Damon67
Posted 2011-03-22 1:07 AM (#1869 - in reply to #1865)

dp2,

Welcome to the Club and what a great guitar to start with!

I've updated your status, so feel free to post throughout the site.

Damon
TAFKAR
Posted 2011-03-22 5:57 PM (#1870 - in reply to #1865)

Originally posted by dp2macrae:
Regarding SMT and CVT, is one superior to the other and, if so, why?
Actually that's a really good question. Has anyone done a blind sound test with SMT and CVT smooth-topped Adamases? I'm thinking you'd have a hard time hearing any difference if they were the same age, with identical strings.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)