The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
My Anniversary 1657-7

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Damon67
Posted 2013-02-14 1:28 PM (#465312)
Subject: My Anniversary 1657-7

I do believe this guitar's fate is to be here in my house. I have lots to say about this one.

It started off several years ago, not long after I had joined here. I was taking a trip to AZ. I had tried to get in touch with Dave to meet him while I was there, but he was out of town that week. It was early March, and I think many were in FL for a get together. While there, I was innocently searching the craigslist ads and ran across this Anniversary Legend. The electronics had been removed, but aside from that it was in stellar condition and for a good price. I couldn't pass it up, and brought it back to Seattle with me. I replaced the preamp to get it back to it's original form. It was already well kept, so i didn't have to do much else.

Not long after, i went on quite the A-braced Legend buying binge. I had to try 'em all, Kaman bars, truss rods, cutaways, customs and non alike. During this, I decided I had too many and started parting ways with them, the Anniversary included.

Bear with me, this is where it gets interesting.

I put it up here locally and had a CL response rather quickly from a guy asking if I'd trade it for his Martin HD28. I was pretty sure I'd want to do that, but to verify I asked our resident Martin expert Dave. He said something like.... is he crazy? So I agreed, and right before we were to meet he called and said his wife wouldn't let him, that it was a gift from her, and she didn't want him to let it go, but she would let him buy my guitar at full asking price... So I let her go.

I felt remorse right away and bought another not too long after bought another. It didn't have quite the same... i dunno, but it didn't have "IT", so I said goodbye again.

Fast forward to last year... I was scanning through CL and low and behold, there was MY Anniversary Legend... or at least my pictures (not the first time that's happened). I contacted him asking if it was indeed the same guitar, and he assured me it was... and he had it up for considerably less than I sold it to him for.

Well, I'll stop boring you... it's mine again, and obviously meant to be. Aside from my Al DiMeola it's the A-braced Legend I've decided to keep. It's the best representation of that unique Legend tone. I believe it's due to those earlier bowls, but aside from that, it's unique from other Legends in so many ways. It's 'Custom' with it's carved bridge and trc, yet more subdued due to herringbone in place of shiny abalone. Thwere are subtle things too, like the multi-veneered, Adamas like, headstock and heel cap. And the color is awesome.

And I LOVE this girl's beauty mark. That could be the one thing that made me long for this one over the other... I dunno.

Shuttin' up now...

Edited by Damon67 2013-02-14 1:31 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jimmer
Posted 2013-05-23 4:22 PM (#470833 - in reply to #465312)
Subject: Re: My Anniversary 1657-7

That is one beautiful instrument that you have there.

And I should know since I owned an Ovation Anniversary 1657-7 for more than 30 years. I bought mine back in college around 1980 I think it was. They're as beautiful to listen to as they are to look at. After not playing for a long time a couple of years ago I started to pick her back up and play again. The trouble was that my daughter liked the guitar too. After everyone went to bed I'd go downstairs to play for a bit and the guitar was gone...only to show up in her room.

Well I got tired of tip-toeing into her bedroom to go and snatch back my guitar so I decided to get myself something new and got a great deal on an Martin. I gave her the Ovation as a birthday gift. So even though she's not mine anymore I still get to play it once in a while and I know it's in good hands.

Of course, I couldn’t stay away from Ovations very long so I picked up a very nice 12 String.
paulramon1992
Posted 2013-05-23 5:22 PM (#470840 - in reply to #465312)

Gorgeous! Very pretty.
Oowasa
Posted 2013-05-23 6:12 PM (#470841 - in reply to #465312)

Very, very cool story! I love stuff like that and love that you had her picture here for us to see!
AstroDan
Posted 2013-05-23 6:20 PM (#470842 - in reply to #465312)

<p>Damon, you take the best pictures! I also have one of these . Why is that called a ****-7 instead of -4? It's natural, isn't it? (And a beautiful honey shade, at that!)</p><p> </p><p>BTW, I like that beauty mark. Striking, IMO.</p>

Edited by AstroDan 2013-05-23 6:22 PM
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2013-05-23 6:35 PM (#470843 - in reply to #470842)

AstroDan - 2013-05-23 4:20 PM

Why is that called a ****-7 instead of -4? It's natural, isn't it? (And a beautiful honey shade, at that!)

7=Nutmeg... Same as on the Patriot.
dobro
Posted 2013-05-24 7:26 AM (#470856 - in reply to #465312)

Simply gorgeous. I've had a life-long (40) love of the Legend. Never let go of my 1117. But the Anniversary is something else! Hey, give us photo-noobs a run-down on how you get such awesome shots. Please!
Damon67
Posted 2013-05-24 12:08 PM (#470865 - in reply to #465312)

Legends are awesome. I'm sure I've had at least 10 of 'em in various bowl sizes and bling. Currently just 2 though.

As for picture taking, it's just how you use the light. Direct flash looks horrible. Getting good light requires a camera with an external flash so you can bounce the light off of another surface.... in this case the surface is a white ceiling. If you only have a camera with an attached flash, then natural light is the only way to go. In that case you usually need to slow down your shutter speed and use a tripod. It's not expensive. The setup I use is old stuff and could be bought used on ebay for under a couple hundred I'm sure.

My father and uncle both are professional photographers. It could just be genetics.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)