The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
what strings?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

d'ovation
Posted 2013-02-26 6:53 PM (#465805)
Subject: what strings?

So my 6751 is still in the shop and luthier is undecided if it can be fixed or for how much. So I was able to aquire a mint 6756lx for a fair price, which is lovely. She definitely needs a new set of strings and I am intrigued by coated strings which I have never tried before. But I am not impressed by their high price. So checking eBay and considering shipping costs to my remote area, I could get one set of D'Addario EXP38 for about the same expense as three sets of Adamas 1616 (which I also have never tried). So between these choices, what may be the better "fit" for the 6756, and some pros and cons between them. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2013-02-26 7:08 PM (#465806 - in reply to #465805)
Subject: Re: what strings?

I don't know about a 3 to 1 ratio... But EXP's last longer that regular strings.

I use EXP36 on my Adamas 12er (and keep a set of EJ36 in the case... in case I break a string).

The 36's are both 80/20, so that is a matter of personal preference... as are most string choices.

So it depends on how often you change strings...
d'ovation
Posted 2013-02-27 10:53 AM (#467823 - in reply to #465805)

Thanks, so how do the Adamas strings and EXPs compare soundwise?
FlySig
Posted 2013-03-01 2:09 PM (#467907 - in reply to #465805)

I found that some coated strings sound ok. I liked Elixirs on my 2007BCS. The EXP were ok too. But they are just a bit muffled compared to non-coated. It is easier to hear when strumming a chord, where the coated strings will sound all mushed together but the non-coated sound clearer.

We have come to really like the Adamas 1818's on all of our Os and As in this family. Clean and clear sound.

Really it comes down to your priorities between some improvement in lifespan vs a better tone. The EXP or Elixir are adequate for tone in my opinion, but I don't mind changing strings every month or two.

Buy a set of each and compare them.
d'ovation
Posted 2013-03-01 3:22 PM (#467908 - in reply to #465805)

I looked past eBay and found http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/ with free shipping to Canada. So I ended up ordering a pair of EXPs, a set of Adamas, and for good measure a set of John Pearse for the same cost as I had considered originally. I think these will last a very long time, as I am not a frequent changer and will see how I like the differences.
muzza
Posted 2013-03-01 9:02 PM (#467917 - in reply to #465805)

Seriously, if you're not a frequent string changer then, realistically, the 'tone' of the strings doesn't matter to you as much as you think. . Uncoated strings pretty much need changing weekly (or sooner) if you're getting a reasonable amount of playing time.

To my ear, I've found that Elixers sound like one day old uncoated PB strings, but still sound the same 3-4 weeks later, and the degradation in tone from then is so slow you don't even notice it. 3-4 week old regular PBs would sound like fencing wire in comparison.

Unless you're changing strings with ridiculous regularity then the coated strings are the way to go.

To keep it in perspective, some people just hate coated strings. I have no idea why?
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2013-03-01 9:14 PM (#467918 - in reply to #465805)

Yeah... And be sure to keep the string package, and write the date on it.

That way you can look at it later and say "Wow! I haven't changed strings since July of last year!"
and they still sound fine.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)