The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
question on best strings for pacemaker

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

LL-Ovation
Posted 2013-03-16 3:12 PM (#468401)
Subject: question on best strings for pacemaker

Hello all! I originally posted this in the welcome center when I signed up, but another member suggested that I might get more responses from posting here.

After collecting and playing the vintage Ovation solidbodies for a few years, I finally took the dive into the acoustic side with a 1981 Pacemaker. I got it setup and restrung at the music shop - taking out a couple of the bridge shims and replaced the battery - really nice action now and plays/sounds nice.

The strings they put on were the only set of 12-string sets they available. They must be a real light guage, as I can get any bass-y percussive sound out of it acoustically. I strum and finger pick with just my bare fingers and nails, but just don't seem to get any thump like I do on my friends acoustic guitars. It sounds great but just to high end-y sounding, and hard to dial in the lows when playing acoustically. Maybe it is the bronze-ish looking style strings that are producing a sound that is brighter than I am used to.

I'm thinking that a medium gauge set might help with the thump and not affect the action too much, and I wouldn't mind a mellower sound - so was thinking of trying the silk and steel 12 string sets at a medium gauge.

I found these GHS Silk and Steel for a good price w/shipping. I'm not familiar with the GHS brand, but the price seems right. Has anyone tried these on their ovation 12 strings?
http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/ghs-silk-and-steel-610-medium-12...

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)