The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reaching out to the brotherhood

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> The Adamas GuitarMessage format

Mario
Posted 2013-05-21 3:26 PM (#470726)
Subject: Reaching out to the brotherhood

I recently acquired an Adamas 1581KK. I have noticed whether playing single notes or playing chords involving either the F on the first fret high E string or the F note on the 6th fret B string, they sound dead. You play it and instead of ringing it falls flat, almost like the tone/sound of a uke. Not a problem if you're playing a uke. I had 2 techs look at it, the first couldn't hear it, the second says replace the nut. I wrote John at the factory, he mentioned sending it in or have a tech file the nut. I am going to see someone else today but has anyone here had this problem before? To me it sticks out and annoys me. Anyone?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mario
Posted 2013-05-21 5:34 PM (#470732 - in reply to #470726)
Subject: RE: Reaching out to the brotherhood

Well I took the guitar to a a very respected luthier out here and he said that the frequency of the F note I am complaining about is bascially a dead spot that the top does not respond to very well. He said that this happens more on basses but just as well with guitars. There used to be something sold for this problem in the past that was called a fat head that attached to the back of the heastock and then the key would attach to it and then later something called a fat finger which was a weighted clamp that you clipped on the head stock. Both were to bring mass to the guitar and would help the dead notes to ring. This sucks. it really bothers me and am not sure what to do.
Waskel
Posted 2013-05-21 10:01 PM (#470738 - in reply to #470726)
Subject: Re: Reaching out to the brotherhood

Send it home. Nobody understands like a Mother(ship).
TAFKAR
Posted 2013-05-22 1:25 AM (#470746 - in reply to #470726)

If you bought it new, Waskel's advice is the go. I'd doubt it's a nut problem when you're playing a fretted note. The dead note resonance theory sounds solid, but I don't know how you'd go about fixing that -shaving bits off the bracing might fix it, but would scare the bejeezus out of me with an expensive guitar.
muzza
Posted 2013-05-22 4:10 AM (#470751 - in reply to #470726)

I had the same problem with a Fender Precision bass.

The 'D' note, 7th fret G string, had no sustain at all. I've since found its a common problem with P basses from the early 70's. It has something to do with the mass of the neck vibrating at a frequency that resonates with a certain note. Shaving the braces wouldn't do anything more than scare the B jesus out of TAFKAR.

By adding a weight ( 'Fat Finger' ) to the headstock, it alters the mass of the neck which changes THE NECK'S resonant frequency.

I never took it further as the 'Fat Fingers' ain't cheap, and there were no guarantees that it would cure the 'dead spot' - it COULD eliminate the problem or it may just move to another note.

When a near new Stingray popped up with a VERY attractive price tag , the P bass was 'goneski'.

Never heard of it happening on an acoustic guitar tho', especially an Adamas.

Edited by muzza 2013-05-22 4:32 AM
ksdaddy
Posted 2013-05-22 8:38 AM (#470756 - in reply to #470726)

I bought a cheap Oscar Schmidt acoustic for $20 a while back. The high E string when fretted on the 2nd and 3rd fret was dead, like it was underwater. Changed the string, checked the crown of the fret, etc.... nothing. Dead dead dead. Sold it for $20. So much for a profit. I could have spent that hour watching an episode of Steve Wilkos.
dvd
Posted 2013-05-22 1:17 PM (#470768 - in reply to #470726)

Well, you could check to see if you're on a wild goose chase by gently clamping a shop clamp onto the headstock to test the change-the-mass-of-the-neck theory! Otherwise, I'd agree with Waskel, send it to New Hartford and let them assess it.
Mario
Posted 2013-05-23 10:08 AM (#470810 - in reply to #470726)

He actually did this. the problem was the large C clamp that he put made a difference but it was huge. Theres no something that big could always be there. I may send it back I am thinking it over.
MWoody
Posted 2013-05-23 1:33 PM (#470821 - in reply to #470726)

Hmmm... good opportunity for spent uranium inlays...
Mario
Posted 2013-06-06 10:42 AM (#472289 - in reply to #470726)

Well, its going back. Let see what they find. It is deffinitely frequency related. Every "F" (not F'n) note in the frequency of the high E string first fret has this dead sound. It is moody (not Paul) too as some days it sounds worse then other. Don't hear it on the E note before or the F# after.
FlySig
Posted 2013-06-09 9:25 AM (#472394 - in reply to #470821)

MWoody - 2013-05-23 1:33 PM

Hmmm... good opportunity for spent uranium inlays...

Overlaid with a little phosphorus and you've got perpetual glow in the dark fret markers! Or you could just use radium paint.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2013-06-09 1:53 PM (#472406 - in reply to #472289)

MG - 2013-06-06 8:42 AM

Well, its going back. Let see what they find. It is deffinitely frequency related. Every "F" (not F'n) note in the frequency of the high E string first fret has this dead sound. It is moody (not Paul) too as some days it sounds worse then other. Don't hear it on the E note before or the F# after.

Since I've been mentioned, I might as well chime in.

It's good to send it to the factory. It may be something like a loose brace, it may be the nut, it may be, who knows. But they'll figure it out and when you get it back, it will be wonderful.

Whenever I've sent guitars back to the factory, I've always prepared myself for the long wait. It actually goes by pretty quickly (of course that could be an "old age" thing) and I've alway always always been glad that I got the problem straightened out......
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)