The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
ovation MM68 Mando

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

rusty999
Posted 2011-03-12 5:32 PM (#1907)
Subject: ovation MM68 Mando

Hi , I'm new here and glad to meet you all on the ovation fan club

I have been offered an Ovation Mandolin MM68 for sale and was wondering if anyone could advise on the following:
As its around 10 years old will it be any different quality wise to a newer model?
Is there anything in particular I should be watching out for regarding faults or problems ?

The guy wants 700 Euro--is that about right?
Any info greatly appreciated

Rusty
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2011-03-12 8:48 PM (#1908 - in reply to #1907)
Subject: Re: ovation MM68 Mando

If it's in good condition the price is OK by Europe standards. The spec has not changed at all throughout production history except later models have inlaid epaulettes and narrower LX-style neck laminates. They are currently unavailable from Fender GBI so if you need one, go for it, you probably won't find another easily.
rusty999
Posted 2011-03-13 7:42 AM (#1909 - in reply to #1907)

many thanks for the reply--its been a great help
Cheers for that
Rusty
rusty999
Posted 2011-03-14 7:41 AM (#1910 - in reply to #1907)

Took a chance and purchased it and happy to say its a beauty and plays like a dream. I have had different mandos in the past mostly with fitted pickups but this surpasses them all. Lovely tight bottom end as well and that was missing in a lot of previous models i owned. These are real stage instruments but it also sound great acoustically and that surprised me.
The seller told me he had replaced the battery recently, but I thought I noticed the LED battery light come on a few times while plugged in so I'm hoping theres no issues on that score.
Are there any issues I should be aware of battery wise or should that light be ON while the instrument is plugged into a mixer?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2011-03-14 8:06 AM (#1911 - in reply to #1907)

The light should come on only to indicate a low battery. It's normal for it to flicker when the jack is inserted and the preamp powers up, nothing to be concerned about
AussieJames
Posted 2011-03-14 8:30 AM (#1912 - in reply to #1907)

Just don't leave it plugged in when you are not playing or you will drain the battery.

AJ
rusty999
Posted 2011-03-14 12:02 PM (#1913 - in reply to #1907)

Just had my first encounter with the battery compartment in my newly purchased Ovation MM68 Mandolin. Granted its 10 years old so perhaps things have improved on the newer versions but it took some time to get to the source !! Lots of fiddly stuff but I eventually got there and I'm sure next time will be easier and less stressful.
What bothers me is that the seller told me that he had recently replaced the battery so if thats the case then have i just bought some trouble in the shape of a pick up that is draining the battery ?
Has anyone had this problem before ?
Obviously i will have to wait and see and after a few gigs i will know for sure but fingers crossed in the meantime
Love this instrument so far !!
Rusty
Damon67
Posted 2011-03-14 1:48 PM (#1914 - in reply to #1907)

The battery compartment is the top complaint on these. It's still the same I believe.

I would bet that since he changed the battery out there has been a cord plugged in for an extended period of time, but I guess time will tell. As AJ said, but sure to unplug it when you're done.

I have an older one like yours.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2011-03-14 8:22 PM (#1915 - in reply to #1907)

The only possible cause for premature battery drain is a mechanical fault on the output jack. Basically the leaf switch doesn't disconnect when the jack is removed and the battery stays on. installing a new jack is no big deal. Sometimes switch cleaner will cure it. Customer Service should be able to sell you a jack if necessary.
rusty999
Posted 2011-03-15 7:36 PM (#1916 - in reply to #1907)

Many Thanks to all who replied
Its great to know that there are guys out there who will take the time to reply and i know i am going to enjoy this mando like no other.
Thanks again
Rusty
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)