The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1234
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
The definitive Preacher thread?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> Ovation Electric GuitarsMessage format

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2013-10-01 7:54 PM (#476623 - in reply to #475068)
Subject: Re: The definitive Preacher thread?

Well as I suspected... more questions than answers..

As Damon pointed out, those are Ovation switches. There is/was no other source to my knowledge and I have been looking diligently for about 20 years.

Although hard to tell, it does look like Ovation stock pickguard material and not a DIY cut but a machined cut. Again, leans toward made at factory, especially the cut for the 5-position switch. But... how is that switch mounted? Is there a circuit board underneath... Note same question about the middle pickup below.

The placement of the three switches, or even the choice to use those switches would lead me toward factory built.

The middle pickup NOT being mounted with the tri-mount I find just plain weird. If it was done at the factory, I can see no logical reason for not having the middle pickup adjustable and in fact pretty easy to do. I mean 3 holes in the pickguard would have to be easier than whatever was actually done.

Now having seen it, and looked at the parts that are important, I would certainly think it's worth a little more than a stock Preacher to the right person, but not much more as it's not "original" as it were. Additionally without any paperwork, or other proof of celebrity, it's just a really nice custom Preacher.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gmaslin
Posted 2013-10-01 9:32 PM (#476624 - in reply to #475068)

Mr. Ovation
The middle pickup NOT being mounted with the tri-mount I find just plain weird.
I think that's an artifact of down sampling the image to post it. The original photo shows them up discolored/rusty? I can send them to you via email for you to get a better look. My guy flaked out on me tonight so still no Preacher for me. I really hate second guessing myself after I walk away from a deal. Having you speculate that it may be a factory legit build is only torture for me. Let's just say some clever guy did it on a weekend in his basement and let's be done with it.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2013-10-01 10:00 PM (#476625 - in reply to #476624)

gmaslin - 2013-10-01 7:32 PM
Let's just say some clever guy did it on a weekend in his basement and let's be done with it.

And honestly, unless you can prove otherwise, that's all it is regardless of the basement being a metaphor of an employee with an idea at the factory (as was encouraged) or someone who dumpster dove the factory trash bin... or a legit Custom order, or a prototype of something that never made it to press. Without knowing for sure, it's just a kewl Preacher, nothing more, nothing less.

As far as walking away, you may want to revisit him in a few months with a "so... did you sell the guitar yet?" because most of the people that would remotely be interested in it... are right here on this forum.

I don't like to play price police. When I had more disposable income I may have jumped on it, knowing I'd never get my money out of it. There are others like that as well. But the reality is that several "important" guitars, with a history, with celebrity, that were in many people's view better guitars to start with (although that is subjective) have bought and sold and a regular basis for about the same and much less than this guy is asking for this custom Preacher.

As I stated above... wait a few months... he'll still have it. If he has done ANY research at all (either himself of a friend), they have likely seen this thread. It's pretty hard to search for anything Ovation and not end up here..

Good luck.

frankencat
Posted 2017-07-08 11:31 PM (#535727 - in reply to #475068)

This thread needs more pics.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)