The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1234
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
The definitive Preacher thread?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> Ovation Electric GuitarsMessage format

gmaslin
Posted 2013-09-17 5:17 PM (#475068)
Subject: The definitive Preacher thread?

Okay, a while ago I decided that I want an Ovation solid body electric so I went shopping and came across a guy who claims to have a 1281 with three humbuckers, no "Preacher" on the pick guard and split coils. Is this a legit Preacher, a custom order or a non-factory mod? Is there any way to tell from the serial number? I'm hoping this thread will prompt the real Ovation historians to chime in and that is why I tentatively gave the thread the 'definitive' moniker. If the persons who actually built these guitars respond, it may very well live up to the subject title.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
numbfingers
Posted 2013-09-17 8:24 PM (#475077 - in reply to #475068)
Subject: Re: The definitive Preacher thread?

There are some Viper IIIs around, but I've never seen a picture of anything like a Preacher III.

Do you have a picture of it? Are the pickups the typical Preacher/Breadwinner/Deacon minis or are they like the humbuckers you see on most guitars? If they're average size Gibson-style humbuckers, it's probably modified.

Mr. Ovation had/has some UKII and Viper prototypes with unusual pickup configurations. You should look through the page of stuff he had collected: http://www.baronaudio.com/collection/inventory.asp

The Preacher seems to be the least-loved of the older solidbodies. Doesn't have the shape or active electronics of the Deacon/Breadwinner, the bite of the Viper, or the unique construction and hotter pickups of the UKII.

-Steve W.

gmaslin
Posted 2013-09-17 8:59 PM (#475079 - in reply to #475068)
Subject: RE: The definitive Preacher thread?

Neither have I, all the references I've been pointed to so far make this sound fishy but on the other hand, I know a Preacher with UKII electronics that was a legit purchase new. I'm still talking with the guy about it but he says they are the mini-humbuckers with the 12 pole pieces. It has one 3-way switch and three mini (dual position?) switches. How accurate was the Ovation record keeping on serial numbers? Is there a reliable resource to identify how these guitars shipped?
numbfingers
Posted 2013-09-17 11:33 PM (#475082 - in reply to #475079)

"...but on the other hand, I know a Preacher with UKII electronics that was a legit purchase new."

I'm doubtful, maybe it was a special order or a prototype. Or doesn't exist.

"he says they are the mini-humbuckers with the 12 pole pieces. It has one 3-way switch and three mini (dual position?) switches."

Need to see pictures. Could be Preacher Deluxe pickups, but no way to guess without seeing it. If I were buying it, I'd want to see the routing under the pickguard too.

"How accurate was the Ovation record keeping on serial numbers? Is there a reliable resource to identify how these guitars shipped?"

My impression is that there are no records available for specific serial numbers on the solidbodies- or most other Ovations. Maybe someone here knows different.
numbfingers
Posted 2013-09-17 11:39 PM (#475084 - in reply to #475068)

There was this urelite Viper III that went from Mr. O to Russia- don't know where it is now: http://ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=33190
gmaslin
Posted 2013-09-18 6:33 AM (#475086 - in reply to #475068)

I'm doubtful, maybe it was a special order or a prototype. Or doesn't exist.
There is nothing to doubt, I've held the guitar in my hands and played it in the 80's, all the passive parts were the same save the humbuckers which remained the minis and I remember being quite impressed with the versatility of its sounds. I sent my prospect the Viper III link above and he confirmed those are the pickups and layout on the Preacher. He also claims the neck is definitely wood. This invokes so many questions:
Are the urelite necks favored and if yes, why so?
On an estimated percentage basis, how many Viper III sold with humbuckers?
Was that Viper III a custom order or a prototype?
How do you identify an Ovation prototype?
numbfingers
Posted 2013-09-18 10:26 AM (#475097 - in reply to #475086)

Get some pictures of the Preacher III so you and we can see it. Ask the seller to remove the pickguard too.

Few if any production Vipers had the mini humbuckers or urelite bodies. The one in the other thread was an experiment/prototype.

I think you identify an Ovation solidbody prototype by a set of features that appear factory installed and don't exist on any other guitar.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2013-09-18 11:18 AM (#475101 - in reply to #475068)

The necks were wood even on the urelite bodied UKIIs.
Since the Viper III stayed in the Kaman (Ovation) family until Miles bought it from Bill, it may not fit the usual definition of a custom order or prototype, or you might call it either. They built a few "one offs".
gmaslin
Posted 2013-09-18 12:43 PM (#475104 - in reply to #475068)

Mark in Boise
Nice to see you here. The urelite body having a wood neck is strange, how often was this done at the factory given the emphasis on the neck with the 'space age plastics'? If this IS a one off, what markings would it have? I'm assuming that it wouldn't be a prototype unless it didn't have a production serial number but I suppose a marked body could have been pulled off the line to try something. I know the Ovation factory was sort of casual but how likely is the scenario above? Where did Ovation mark the Preachers? I'm hoping to get this axe for under a K, is that an irrational number?

numbfingers
Additional information and more questions: the neck has the standard 1281 dots and all the pickups are passive so it's likely not a deluxe custom since those had 'active' electronics. I've been pressing this guy with a lot of questions and he is sensing that my interest is more than casual. I understand that we're working blind here but I don't want to push him away from a sale I can afford either. He estimates the width of the pickup routing at 1.25" which implies that standard humbuckers wouldn't fit.
Were the rail pickups on the UK II too wide to fit in this body?
What was the original spec for the Preacher pickup cavity?
How did Ovation route the Preacher bodies?
Was there any difference between the Preacher deluxe and standard humbuckers not attributable to the FET circuit?
Does anyone have the schematic to what is presumably an FET gain stage on Preacher Deluxe?
numbfingers
Posted 2013-09-18 1:27 PM (#475106 - in reply to #475104)

You'll have to have pictures to make sense of the Preacher. Or if it's cheap, like $250-$400, just buy it.

Breadwinner/Deacon/Preacher/Viper/UKII "mini" pickups are the same size. I've never had a passive Preacher so don't know if the 12-pole pickups are wound the same.

The preamp is OK if you have a good working one. They are a pain to rebuild and it's not worth trying to duplicate the original. Do a search here or on Google for BRUDEV BREADWINNER PREAMP.

Same goes for the UKII, there's lots of info in archived threads here.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2013-09-18 1:28 PM (#475107 - in reply to #475068)

You're asking questions that are way over my head. Most of what I know about Ovations, I learned on this board and it sounds like you've done lots of research already. All I can respond to is your comment that the urelite body and wood neck is strange. Ovation did a lot of experimenting to try to build better guitars. Some of them didn't go into production and some went into production and didn't sell well. All the electric guitars sort of fit in those two categories. The emphasis on space age plastics was marketing. Everything was marketed as space age in the space age. Matrix guitars had urelite necks, but were not accepted by the market. I would guess that Ovation decided not to try that with the UKII and used the wood necks.
Anyway, that doesn't relate to the guitar you're looking at. If it's a one-off, how would anyone other than the current owner know what markings it had? I don't think Ovation was any different from any other company in keeping records from back then.
Price is totally up to you and the seller. Just don't expect your value to be "market value." The rarer the item, the smaller the market.
gmaslin
Posted 2013-09-18 6:20 PM (#475129 - in reply to #475107)

Sorry, double post merged.

Edited by gmaslin 2013-09-18 6:40 PM
gmaslin
Posted 2013-09-18 6:25 PM (#475130 - in reply to #475107)

Mark in Boise
Here is a vintage Ovation catalog that describes the passive electronics of the UK II. I know Mr. Ovation is probably still busy metering out disciplinary actions but who would be the most the reliable sources for answering the questions above? I'm thinking a PM to them might get them to chime in or possibly just tell me outright what I need to know.

numbfingers
How many leads do the Preacher Deluxe humbuckers have? If the pickups on the UK II were no larger than the ones on the Preacher why wouldn't it be entirely possible to order a Preacher with them?

Edited by gmaslin 2013-09-18 6:39 PM
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2013-09-19 9:54 AM (#475153 - in reply to #475068)

I'm out of town again, but will check back later to read and answer all the questions in detail.

One thing now though... They made quite a few "one-off" guitars that mostly involved swapping pickups, bridges and paint schemes. As far as identification, a true prototype has a X001 type serial number. These were true prototypes in that they were usually one of ten First guitars assembled of a run used for display, photo's and NAMM. Other one-offs's were just that and not parked with anything special. Someone (factory employee or customer) would order a guitar or several with some special color and pickup configuration. Or some tech saw some parts laying on the counter and said... hmmm I wonder if this will work.

Now there were, and possible still are some one-off's that weren't built at the factory. People bought parts and built guitars... I bought most of them from all over, disassembled them, and sold them for parts. I may have missed a couple.

more later...
MWoody
Posted 2013-09-19 12:21 PM (#475165 - in reply to #475068)

What Miles has said is the most correct. I have found that the term "Definitive" should not be used in the same sentance as "Ovation records" or "Serial Number definitions".

Let's just say that the systems used have been very organic... they'll drive you nuts if you seek certianty.

And for the record... I only only butcher or rearrange parts on the O's I have touched if they came to me incomplete or broken.

Preachers have some lovely Mahogany Bodies and Necks but I have always preferred the Viper pickups.
gmaslin
Posted 2013-09-19 3:12 PM (#475172 - in reply to #475068)

Now that I have the attention of two of the most knowledgeable on the subject, I feel much more confident I will get my answers.

MWoody
Welcome to my thread. The brochures describe both the Viper and Preacher pickups as having 10k turns around Al-Nico magnets:
Did they use the same coil profile, wire and magnets and if so, does that indicate the humbuckers had twice the total wire?
How many lead wires were on the Preacher humbuckers? How many on the UK-II?
Would the UK-II humbuckers fit in the Preacher without modifications to the cavity or pickguard?
I have heard the Viper pickups considered relatively 'hot' for their day, can you name a common pickup that sounded very much like it?
Ditto for the Preacher pickups.

I've asked a lot of questions in this thread so please review them and answer as many as you can to the best of your knowledge and Miles should be able to fill in whatever you couldn't cover when he gets back.
MWoody
Posted 2013-09-19 4:50 PM (#475176 - in reply to #475068)

G,

You've got issues, unintentional or with a purpose.

Either way their yours and not mine.

Because I'm feeling generous...

Edited by MWoody 2013-09-19 4:51 PM
stonebobbo
Posted 2013-09-19 5:01 PM (#475179 - in reply to #475172)

gmaslin - 2013-09-19 1:12 PM Now that I have the attention of two of the most knowledgeable on the subject, I feel much more confident I will get my answers. .

Wow ... do you have to work hard at being an unappreciative ***, or does it just come naturally to you?

Hey numbfingers, I appreciated all of your answers and help you tried to provide. I though it was very informative.  Thanks.

Mark in Boise
Posted 2013-09-19 5:03 PM (#475180 - in reply to #475068)

Step back and read your posts full of questions and try to consider that we are Ovation Fans, not paid researchers. I'm starting to think this is some sort of test in which the answers just lead to more questions and the alleged purpose of obtaining information about a guitar is just a pretext. No need to respond, that's just my feeling.
Puppetman
Posted 2013-09-19 5:51 PM (#475183 - in reply to #475068)

Makes me glad I didn't jump in and share earlier.
gmaslin
Posted 2013-09-19 7:11 PM (#475186 - in reply to #475068)

Puppetman
Please note my experience with other members here that 'jump in' not to help or enlighten but presumably, to read how clever they think they are.

Mark in Boise
This is not a test but a real life decision.

numbfingers
If I didn't thank you before for your help, it was an oversight but when you suggested 'there's lots of info in archived threads here', I spent several fruitless hours searching and that may have tainted my posts with an unfortunate tone. If you were truly offended, please accept my apologies. If you were not, then please say so and quiet the instigators.

MWoody
That chart answers at least half of my questions and I'm truly thankful you posted it but some remain:
The turns do not clearly specify if the number represents the winds around each bobbin (ie: 20K total) or they're shared (ie: 5k each) on the humbuckers. Did both Preacher part number pairs have 4 leads as indicated in the chart or am I interpreting it incorrectly? The part numbers in the Preacher column indicate a difference, does anyone know what was changed?

Edited by gmaslin 2013-09-19 7:13 PM
numbfingers
Posted 2013-09-19 9:54 PM (#475188 - in reply to #475179)

stonebobbo - 2013-09-19 5:01 PM
Hey numbfingers, I appreciated all of your answers and help you tried to provide. I though it was very informative.  Thanks.

You're welcome, Bobbo, I'm always happy to answer your questions since you're a long-time contributor to the forum.

-Steve W.
numbfingers
Posted 2013-09-19 10:27 PM (#475189 - in reply to #475186)

What are the minimum number of leads required for a a humbucking guitar pickup that supports series/parallel operation? How many leads do today's popular aftermarket pickups have? Does the ground wire count as a lead?

The DC resistance of a Deacon mini-humbucker from my parts box is approximately 20K. It is not possible to measure the individual coils on this pickup. The chart above indicates that 43 gauge wire is used. Will 5,000 or 10,000 turns fit on each small mini-humbucker bobbin? The number of turns and the DC resistance of Gibson-style pickups wound with 43 AWG might provide a clue.

When were the first humbuckers with unbalanced coils (intentionally) manufactured? Is it likely Ovation employed this method?
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2013-09-20 2:19 AM (#475192 - in reply to #475068)

"A 1281 with three humbuckers, no "Preacher" on the pick guard and split coils. Is this a legit Preacher custom order or a non-factory mod?"
It was not a production model in this configuration.  How it came about will only be known by the person that ordered and/or built it. 

Is there any way to tell from the serial number?
no except for a serial of x001 to x010 -ish means it was a prototype for the model.

If the persons who actually built these guitars respond, it may very well live up to the subject title.
Agreed, but that is not likely to happen. 

How accurate was the Ovation record keeping on serial numbers?
To my knowledge they only kept track of "range" of serial numbers per year as outlined in the FAQ and there are contridictions to that.  The only other records would really be if someone mailed in the warrantee card.

Is there a reliable resource to identify how these guitars shipped?
In a box ??   Not sure what you mean in this question.  Probably changed over the years based on rates and service.

Are the urelite necks favored and if yes, why so? 
Never saw a Urelite neck, ever. 

On an estimated percentage basis, how many Viper III sold with humbuckers? 
The average would likely be 0%.  To my knowledge, maybe two guitars, but probably a couple more... but then you asked "sold" and I'm not sure they were actually sold.  They were built.

Was that Viper III a custom order or a prototype? 

It was a Viper III and legit model 

How do you identify an Ovation prototype?

The serial number of a true prototype is in the format of x001 and only ranged as far as we know to x010. 

The urelite body having a wood neck is strange, how often was this done.
The only Urelite body in production was the UKII.  There were a few, like maybe 3 - 5 Urelite Viper bodies made as experiments and configured.  To my knowledge, there never was a Urelite neck. 

If this IS a one off, what markings would it have?
It would likely have a standard serial number on the neck plate with no reference that it was a one-off.  Now having said that, we have seen scribbles under the bridge or in the pickup cavity that relate to color, or maybe who was making it or a date or something, but they was no standard.  More likely any notes or other markings on the inside only happened if the tech was working on more than one guitar at a time that was similar and he wanted to keep them straight with never an idea that anyone would actually see the info in the future. 

I'm assuming that it wouldn't be a prototype unless it didn't have a production serial number
Do I need to explain what happens when you assume?  Seriously.. ANYTHING is possible. 

Where did Ovation mark the Preachers?
If you mean serial number, same place as all the USA solid bodies... the neck plate. 

I'm hoping to get this axe for under a K, is that an irrational number? 
Some might say paying more than 1K is irrational.  Read the "how much is my guitar worth" in the FAQ.   

the neck has the standard 1281 dots and all the pickups are passive so it's likely not a deluxe custom since those had 'active' electronics.
Actually it's likely not a Deluxe because there was no such thing.  There was a "Preacher Deluxe" which was NOT a "deluxe" model of a Preacher... it was a model called Preacher Deluxe that shared very little with Preacher other than basic body silouette.

Were the rail pickups on the UK II too wide to fit in this body?
All of the standard solid body USA pickups (single, humbucker and UKII Rails) are interchangeable with some minor exceptions.  The original Toroidal Breadwinner pickups obviuosly won't fit.  It's worth mentioning that the Viper III (the real Viper III) middle single coil pickup was wound different.  Still all the same size... just thought that worth mentioning.

What was the original spec for the Preacher pickup cavity? 
Big enough for a pickup to fit?  I guess I don't understand the question. 

How did Ovation route the Preacher bodies? 
With a router?  Again, maybe I don't understand the question. 

Was there any difference between the Preacher deluxe and standard humbuckers not attributable to the FET circuit? 
No 

Does anyone have the schematic to what is presumably an FET gain stage on Preacher Deluxe?
I'm sure someone does.  I may someplace.  Keep in mind the pre-amp was NOT a boost.  It was indeed a pre-amp that focused more on tone.  The early ones actually had the "0" in the middle of the tone with + and - numbers or Treble bass I think as well on some,  but later they just used 0-10 markings.  Not really sure if Preacher Deluxe ever had the zero in the middle tone controls, but the Deacon and Breadwinner did.  The pre-amp worked the same regardless... counter clockwise boosted bass, and clockwise boosts treble.  Unlike a standard tone control that just cuts the highs to make bass.  The volume side did go through an FET, but it didn't boost.  Just kept it clean, in theory.

How many leads do the Preacher Deluxe humbuckers have?
If memory serves, I have seen two, four, and five with the latter just being a soldered ground, the four being combined outside the pickup 
casing and the two where the two coils were bridged under the pickup casing.  Bottom line, a humbucker has 4 leads regardless if you see them or not.

If the pickups on the UK II were no larger than the ones on the Preacher why wouldn't it be entirely possible to order a Preacher with them?
8I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. 

The brochures describe both the Viper and Preacher pickups as having 10k turns around Al-Nico magnets:
True 

Did they use the same coil profile, wire and magnets and if so, does that indicate the humbuckers had twice the total wire?
I have no idea (or could I even care).  Ovation was very tight lipped about how the magnets were wound.  My guess is that a 10K turn humbucker has two singles wrapped 5K each... but I have no basis for that other than if marketing heard there were two coils each wrapped with 10K turns they would be shouting it from the rooftops as such.

How many lead wires were on the Preacher humbuckers? How many on the UK-II? 
In the true sence, there must have been 4 as they are humbuckers, but....  as mentioned above.. how many we see outside the casing may differ, but the electronics don't change. 

Would the UK-II humbuckers fit in the Preacher without modifications to the cavity or pickguard? 
yep 

I have heard the Viper pickups considered relatively 'hot' for their day, can you name a common pickup that sounded very much like it? 
To my knowledge there wasn't a similar one.  By messing with the selector, volume and and tone, and of course the amp the Viper can sound like a tele, strat or Les Paul....  only some might say better than any of them.  It's subjective.  But I played pretty heavy rock with a Viper and while I ultimately replaced the bridge pickup with a humbucker, the stock pickup did a pretty good job.  In fact it's the only single coil pickup that gets along EXTREMLY well with Rockman effects that were designed for Humbuckers due to the high gain stages.

Ditto for the Preacher pickups. 
I never liked the Preacher Pickups without the pre-amp...eg.. My Preacher has Viper pickups in it.  That being said, they have a unique tone.  I liked the Preacher Deluxe and Deacon sounds, but found them limited in range for me.  They did what they did... sounded great and all that... but unlike the Viper pickups than can take on different personalities, the Preacher style humbuckers always sounded like they sounded.  A good sound....  better with the pre-amp I think due to added range... but overall... their own sound.

So I think I have answered allof you questions, so here are mine..

Why so many questions?  As you stated, "it's a a 1281 with three humbuckers, no "Preacher" on the pick guard and split coils."  Or in other words an Ovation Preacher style guitar with no "Preacher" on the pick guard and split coils."  

Based on your comments it's probably not a prototype and not a production model obviously so it's either a custom order or something someone put together with spare parts either at the factory or not.  You will never know unless they have some documentation with it, or as you mentioned earlier, someone remembers building it.  That's it..  It is what it is.

As far as what to pay for it... I guess that depends on how much you like it.  I refer you to the "How much is it worth" section of the FAQ.  

gmaslin
Posted 2013-09-20 8:28 AM (#475196 - in reply to #475068)

Mr. Ovation
I am floored by the attention and effort you have put forward in this reply. You have my utmost respect and kind regard for it. My best answer to you is questions are the seed of knowledge and knowledge thwarts misery. How this guitar came about will dictate what I will pay for it so I am doing my best due diligence to investigate this. If the 10K winds were split 5k per bobbin and the other coil parts were the same, that would explain the more polite/sterile nature of the preacher pickups. Knowing the coil details aids in finding the optimal setup for the sound desired. Almost everything is clear to me now but the following tidbits remain for discussion:

If there were no difference between the Preacher pickups why were two part number pairs assigned (100/200B and 110/210C)?
Your marketing slant logic is plausible, should we assume the UKII humbuckers were also wound 5k per magnet rail?
The number of pickup leads that are accessible dictates the wiring configuration and grounding scheme options as well as the sonic result; does anyone here believe this information has no significance?
When I asked how the pickup cavity was routed, I was trying to gain insight into the tools and bits used. This information will help determine if the third cavity on the Preacher was done at the factory. The same goes for the cavity dimensions and its variance. Anyone working there at the time should know this. I suppose anyone with detailed pictures of the Viper III under the pickguard would be helpful too.
When I asked about how the guitars shipped, I was trying to determine the accessories like tools, keys, cables, manuals, etc. Anyone with a scanned packing list document or something similar could resolve this.

numbfingers
What are the minimum number of leads required for a a humbucking guitar pickup that supports series/parallel operation? How many leads do today's popular aftermarket pickups have? Does the ground wire count as a lead?
Three with a common ground, but the standard Preacher did not support series/parallel operation according to the brochure above. Most humbuckers today have four wires out and yes, I count the ground as a lead.
The DC resistance of a Deacon mini-humbucker from my parts box is approximately 20K. It is not possible to measure the individual coils on this pickup. The chart above indicates that 43 gauge wire is used. Will 5,000 or 10,000 turns fit on each small mini-humbucker bobbin? The number of turns and the DC resistance of Gibson-style pickups wound with 43 AWG might provide a clue.
This is the Rosetta Stone, thank you! Just additional curiosity, is the blade on the UKII sufficiently thin to accommodate 10K per side or was the same frame used on all the pickups Deacon through UKII? Did the bobbin height change through this period?
When were the first humbuckers with unbalanced coils (intentionally) manufactured? Is it likely Ovation employed this method?
Ah, the Westone patent? Boy that IS close, the technology could have been licensed or copied but if the bobbin didn't change from the Deacon...what is the real story there?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)