The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Theory behind roundbacks? 1761 content - pic

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

makonnen
Posted 2011-03-05 1:40 AM (#1971)
Subject: Theory behind roundbacks? 1761 content - pic

Hy guys,

I've heard people describe Ovations as sounding like "a spare tire with strings" ... I currently have three and I beg to differ. But I am wondering as to what you think is the reasoning behind the roundback design?

Here is my idea: I don't think it has anything to do with focusing the sound towards the sound hole. That would not make sense for the Ovations without a soundhole. I think the reason for the roundbacks is for better player comfort ... and also to eliminate the need for corners and seams. The entire back and sides are one piece and therefore is able to resonate better as a whole. And this is what gives Ovations their "sound"

What do you think?

1761 Balladeer
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2011-03-05 6:37 AM (#1972 - in reply to #1971)
Subject: Re: Theory behind roundbacks? 1761 content - pic

Originally posted by makonnen:
[qb] Hy guys,

I've heard people describe Ovations as sounding like "a spare tire with strings" ... I currently have three and I beg to differ. But I am wondering as to what you think is the reasoning behind the roundback design?

What do you think?

It's explained pretty clearly in the Carter book. Ovations came out of a need for an aerospace company to diversify into other markets. They worked with fibreglass and spruce in the manufacture of helicopter rotor blades so when they decided to build guitars they worked with materials that were to hand and with which they had experience. The first few fibreglass body prototypes were a regluar flatback design, but they were floppy and needed braces like a wooden guitar. So they went to a bowl design because that structure is self-reinforcing (the eggshell principle) and did not need to be braced. Pretty much everything else, including "focusing soundwaves towards the soundhole" and "braces interupting soundwaves" and "sound gets trapped in the corners of standard guitars" and the rest of the crap that was sold as "science" is essentally marketing BS
Beal
Posted 2011-03-05 8:31 AM (#1973 - in reply to #1971)

Marketing Rhetoric.
makonnen
Posted 2011-03-05 11:35 AM (#1974 - in reply to #1971)

I realize that "focusing the soundhole" etc... is BS, that is not how an acoustic guitar works. The whole acoustic in unison works like a speaker to vibrate the air around it.

My point is that you can't tell me the age old design of a typical acoustic guitar is the best design for acoustics. Like you don't see too many other designs that have remained unchanged for hundreds of years...
Mark in Boise
Posted 2011-03-05 12:29 PM (#1975 - in reply to #1971)

Why do you think the roundback was a change from the "age old design" of a typical acoustic guitar, rather than the other way around? Ever heard of a lute?
My bet is that someone decided that a squareback was easier to build than the age old design of a lute and came up with the "traditional" guitar design. Lutes evolved from drums when someone decided to replace a skinned top with a wood top. I also recall reading somewhere that "traditional" guitars evolved from banjos. You can start your chicken and egg question pretty much anywhere.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2011-03-05 12:42 PM (#1976 - in reply to #1971)

Yeah Mark!
In a book that I've got the author is discussing the History of Stringed Instruments in general...
Most "ancient" instruments had round backs. The Lute is always used as an example...
Mandolins, Sitars, Bouzouki, and such.
Box-Shaped guitars are easier to Make (mass produce), but not necessarily better sounding.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2011-03-05 1:21 PM (#1977 - in reply to #1971)

There are several theories, but most go back to the lute. Put some strings over a bowl and see how it sounds. Add a neck. Add some frets. Add some strings.
For those of us who were teenagers in the 60s, it was all about breaking tradition. My concept of breaking tradition usually meant doing the opposite of what my parents did.
If Beal could remember the 60s, he could just tell us about it. But his dad was the rebel who was breaking tradition. "Thinking outside the box" could have applied to Ovation if someone had come up with the phrase back then.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)