The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas sound help.. suggestions

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> The Adamas GuitarMessage format

mnboy
Posted 2014-01-28 5:50 AM (#481629)
Subject: Adamas sound help.. suggestions

I bought a 1598-MERB 12 string last week, but didn't plug it in until Sunday. Using a Peavey mixer/amp through six large Bose speakers.. but, to my chagrin, there wasn't much bass sound or 'fullness' that I hear unplugged. I assume I don't know how to set the OP-24C -- any of you out there give me a idea what to set those controls at for a good, solid 'full' sound? Right now it sounds tinny like a $200 starter guitar... (I KNOW I can play with the settings, but I thought someone could just say "set it like this..."or "here's what I use").. Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2014-01-28 9:09 AM (#481637 - in reply to #481629)
Subject: Re: Adamas sound help.. suggestions

strange most people say the opposite tinny unplugged full plugged

make sure the eq settings are boosting the mids and lows on the preamp and make sure your preamp is set correctly
the one thing about plugging in a guitar is YOU have control over the sound.

usually I boost the mids all the way up and bass 3/4 leaving the highs flat

but YMMV
noah
Posted 2014-01-28 4:58 PM (#481647 - in reply to #481629)

¼ inch or balanced (from the guitar) to what input on the Peavey mixer/amp?
mnboy
Posted 2014-01-29 4:54 PM (#481695 - in reply to #481629)

Hello and thank you for your comments… ALPEP -- it seemed sort of nasal with a strong mid-range turned up, so I flattened it to 0 -- when the EQ buttons "out" is that what you meant for boosted? and NOAH it is a ¼” jack. When I first plugged it and tried it was very tinny with not much for low or mid ranges. I was shocked since the guitar unplugged sounded so beefy. So, I started pushing this and that and sliding this and that and ended up with a full sound from my Adamas – I mean the sound man looked over with a grin and said “yeah, that’s what we expected”. My settings ended up like this off my OP-24C: EQ status button out; Pre-Shape out; Mid-Shift out; EQ +12 bass, 0 on the mid and treble; on the Peavey mixer +3 high, -9 mid, and +9 low, channel level at 4 1/2 and master at 4 (of 10). Now, I’m sitting using a Rolls PM50s in-ear monitor to hear my guitar and I think it (laugh) still think it sounds tinny – but the sound man using in-ear monitors and a rover listening to the Bose set up says it is PLENTY loud and full sounding – much fuller than my old 1658 Custom Legend.. if anyone has suggestions that sound good in your set up.. I’m always wanting to learn more..

Edited by mnboy 2014-01-29 5:05 PM
noah
Posted 2014-01-29 5:14 PM (#481697 - in reply to #481629)

¼" jack on the guitar... what type of input on the mixer are you plugging the other end of the instrument cable into? What is your signal chain?
stonebobbo
Posted 2014-01-29 8:21 PM (#481715 - in reply to #481629)

Pardon the obvious ... but have you changed the battery recently?
mnboy
Posted 2014-01-30 2:06 AM (#481729 - in reply to #481629)

NOAH, sorry, I should have read your post better -- the mixer input is 1/4" jack using a coil cable from guitar -- signal chain: guitar to mixer/amp to personal monitor to mains / (separate floor monitors for singers off amp) -- mixer/amp has separate EQ onboard which is 0 to +3 all across except-6 in the 60hz band to keep low E bass string from feedback; STONEBOBBO -- lol, last week in fact, but good point.. by the way I found my original "Larry Coryall's Seven Basic Settings" from 1988 -- I would assume those would still be valid, except, the OP24C wasn't out then with its EQ status/Pre-Shape/Mid-Shift buttons..
FlySig
Posted 2014-01-30 3:13 PM (#481749 - in reply to #481629)

The coiled cord might cause some eq issues. Also, are you running into a DI box close to your guitar? Long runs of guitar cable can suck tone out. Our church setup has a passive breakout box thingy which converts the impedance and then runs like 150 feet of cable back to the mixer. An active DI box (or using the XLR output from the guitar if it has one) and then plugging into an XLR input to the PA system makes a huge difference.

My unprofessional gut feeling is you should leave your guitar eq fairly flat and let the sound guy tweak at his end. But those numbers you put out for your EQ plus the board EQ seem a bit extreme to me. Do other guitars or instruments need so much bass added?
mnboy
Posted 2014-01-31 3:47 PM (#481779 - in reply to #481629)

FLYSIG, the coiled cord is about 6' long and I run it directly to the mixer/amp, no DI. I sit all the time when I play, so there is not much chance of the cords being yanked. I have no XLR from the guitar, I use 1/4" jack, and the same on the mixer/amp. I do run +12 on my guitar board, but almost flat on the mixer/amp EQ.. the +9 is on the channel level to give it a bit of kick, and the +3 high on the channel gives it brightness, where the -9 on the mids take away that nasal sound. Something about intonation on the channel. OK, I'll try and go flatter on my guitar bass EQ and see what the sound man cooks up! Have you tried wireless for the guitar instead of wired? Or, is that ANOTHER topic.. lol..
tpa
Posted 2014-01-31 4:12 PM (#481780 - in reply to #481629)

It can occur that the bearing on the piezoelectric insert of the pickup is uneven. If not shimmed correctly, if some foreign matter is somewhere in there obstructing or binding the pickup. If so you can check the different sensitivity by tapping the pickup next to the strings - use your pick - to hear if some area is less sensitive. Slacken or completely remove the strings and lift the white plastic part to check.

Edited by tpa 2014-01-31 4:15 PM
mnboy
Posted 2014-02-01 11:47 AM (#481794 - in reply to #481629)

TPA -- thank you for your input, perhaps, 'bearing' means somethings else than I am used to.. or do you mean, as in, pressure? The pressure on the PE insert being higher on one side than the other? Interesting and good point. When I bought the guitar, two weeks ago, I tore off the strings, oiled the fretboard, 'scrubbed' it down, took out all the shims and cleaned them, (they seemed fine) and did not have any tightness or binding, then replaced the strings with new and adjusted the neck -- she is in top conditon and the playability is, for me, as good as I can make it. I just keep looking for that great sound at 150' to be as good as sitting next to it.. Thank you.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2014-02-01 2:42 PM (#481796 - in reply to #481629)
Subject: RE: Adamas sound help.. suggestions

mnboy - 2014-01-28 3:50 AM

I bought a 1598-MERB 12 string last week, but didn't plug it in until Sunday. Using a Peavey mixer/amp through six large Bose speakers.. but, to my chagrin, there wasn't much bass sound or 'fullness' that I hear unplugged.

Set the sliders on the OP-24+C flat, right in the middle.
Make sure that the Pre-Shape and Mid-Shift buttons are out, and the EQ Status button is in.
Then adjust the mixer to your liking.
If it sounds "tinny" cut back on the treble and give it more bass.
If you have a mixer, you should be able to make it sound any way that you want.
Then you can use the EQ Sliders and preamp buttons to tailor your sound while playing.
But at the start the mixer and speakers should already sound the way you want.
Like an Acoustic Adamas.

Have you just tried plugging the Adamas into a smaller amp?

Edited by Old Man Arthur 2014-02-01 2:52 PM
tpa
Posted 2014-02-02 7:08 AM (#481803 - in reply to #481794)

mnboy - 2014-02-01 11:47 AM
'bearing' ... as in, pressure?

Yes, exactly, like "pressure" or "seat". American/english is not my native language.
mnboy
Posted 2014-02-04 10:53 AM (#481863 - in reply to #481629)

OLD MAN ARTHUR -- I understand what you mean -- I was using the Pre-Shape, Mid-Shift AND EQ bottons OUT -- which means I am not getting boost on the EQ channel as it is now (out) -- makes sense what you are saying.. That acoustic Adamas sound IS wonderful.. I'm anxious to try out your suggestions tonight at practice -- Thank You Arthur!

TPA -- I did figure out your suggestion -- and it was a good one -- I understand about the American English, lol... Thank You TPA..

Edited by mnboy 2014-02-04 10:57 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)