The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
1681 top lifting and small crack in fiber at edge of suspension ring

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> The Adamas GuitarMessage format

RedemptionSongs
Posted 2014-03-17 11:35 PM (#483213)
Subject: 1681 top lifting and small crack in fiber at edge of suspension ring

what should i do to repair the top lifting ( small spot at the bottom of the body ) and to stop the small crack in the fiber from cracking any further .. it looks like someone tried to glue the top lifting down before because there is some excess glue there and a little bit on the suspension ring .. wish i could just get rid of that glue but its not a big deal .. im just worried about getting the top glued down firm and keeping the small crack from going any further ( id say the crack starts at the suspension ring and go out about half a inch than stops ) .. if worse comes to worse i can always return it to guitar center, but i like the sound of it and think this is fixable
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TAFKAR
Posted 2014-03-18 12:41 AM (#483216 - in reply to #483213)
Subject: Re: 1681 top lifting and small crack in fiber at edge of suspension ring

Carbon fibre is bonded with epoxy resin (two part) glues, so you'd want to use something in that family. Is the carbon fibre separating from the wood underneath (which should be glueable) or does it go right through the top? If it's the latter, I'd want to get someone who knows what they're doing to look at it.

If you bought it from new, then you could send it to the mothership for a warranty repair (unless the guitar has been mistreated). Pictures would help.
RedemptionSongs
Posted 2014-03-18 6:35 AM (#483218 - in reply to #483213)
Subject: Re: 1681 top lifting and small crack in fiber at edge of suspension ring

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag197/Jesse_Graham/DSCF9679_zps...

http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/Jesse_Graham/media/DSCF9677_zps4f...

http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/Jesse_Graham/media/DSCF9681_zpsfd...
RedemptionSongs
Posted 2014-03-18 6:41 AM (#483219 - in reply to #483213)
Subject: RE: 1681 top lifting and small crack in fiber at edge of suspension ring

the fiber is lifting right around the small crack but not much .. but the top itself is lifting from the suspension ring in area thats maybe 2-3 inches . and no i didnt buy it new but have 30 days to take it back to guitar center if this aint fixable
RedemptionSongs
Posted 2014-03-18 10:16 AM (#483225 - in reply to #483213)
Subject: RE: 1681 top lifting and small crack in fiber at edge of suspension ring

also is that a crack in the bowl below the suspension ring ? its in some spots around the bowl and some spots not i just want to be sure this thing wont be a disaster
TAFKAR
Posted 2014-03-18 3:11 PM (#483228 - in reply to #483213)

It looks to me like someone dropped the guitar right on that spot - hard enough to crack carbon fibre AND possibly the bowl. I'm guessing it fell onto a very hard surface like concrete or tiles. If it was just a small delimitation you could probably glue it down without a worry. It may be more structural than that if it's separated from the suspension ring. Sadly, I'd use the 30 day option.
Damon67
Posted 2014-03-18 3:38 PM (#483230 - in reply to #483228)

richard.parker - 2014-03-18 1:11 Sadly, I'd use the 30 day option.

+1, but not necessarily 'sadly'. More like 'MADLY' if that was a shipped guitar and they didn't disclose that over the phone on the front end.

Guitar Center is notorious for that. I bought a guitar once where they neglected to disclose that someone had done an aftermarket scalloping job on the fretboard. There have been at least 2 seperate occasions where they have shipped me guitars that were obviously damaged prior to shipment (not tiny damages either I might add). All I can think on the latter is that they're trying to scam a shipping company for insurance.

I've had good interactions too, but buyer beware.

Edited by Damon67 2014-03-18 3:45 PM
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2014-03-18 6:25 PM (#483234 - in reply to #483213)

Take it to a private guitar shop/Luthier and get it inspected.If its cosmetic maybe you can live with it but if its structural take it back.
I got a used 1669 custom legend that they said had a small hole on the top that they claimed was only cosmetic and everything else was fine.
When I received I found out that the neck had a twist to and was settling into the bowl.bad news the guitar needs a new top.
I was very disappointed and am still in discussion with the store manager about what they want to do.
Carl in LA
Posted 2014-03-21 8:02 PM (#483333 - in reply to #483213)

Redemption...

Glad you posted the links to the pictures...

I too purchased a Guitar Center 1681 with a defect.

When I called the GC selling the guitar I already had a intention of making an offer lower than their asking price... and I asked for a description and the clerk said it had a lifting top... Which I had no clue what a lifting top would mean on a 1681. So I made my offer contingent on being able to return at the local GC... He agreed and they shipped...

Here is what I got...

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/oqr4m6baJpi4WQhjxjnOfZiHfih16Y...

Oh my...

But I did glue it up and it has been fine for a year now.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Vy4KJHl8fQqahwH5FUnuHJiHfih16Y...

Looking at your pictures I think yours broke differently than mine - although the drop location appears to be the same.

I used elmers brown tint wood glue and it dried very close in color to the body.

Hope yours repairs to your satisfaction.

Carl
RedemptionSongs
Posted 2014-03-22 6:59 AM (#483345 - in reply to #483213)

wow you did a great job on the repair ... i think im just going to return mine with the small crack running around the bowl ... i thought the fiber tip was just lifting with that small crack in it which would have been fine and a easy fix, didnt notice the small crack line running around the bowl till i got home .. thanks though
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)