The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Hello from Florida

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

John C
Posted 2011-02-18 4:40 PM (#2060)
Subject: Hello from Florida

Greeting everyone. New member here. Hope I can offer as well as recieve information and assistance. Way back in the mid to late 80's I won an Ovation Celebrity Solid body electric guitar that Richie Sambora was kind enough to autograph at a Bon Jovi show. (I personally would have preferred he autograph a piece of paper). Anyway it has spent the last 20 or so years stored in a hard case. Well, the last couple weeks I have been hunting for info and there is very little in anything out there. Most of the Luthiers and vintage insturment gurus here in Orlando are all scrathin their heads. Most have never seen one and a few don't believe it was ever made.
Now on to the guitar. It is a GC-2-6 and here is what I do know about it. It is made in Korea by Samick I think. It has a 24 fret bolt on neck with a locking tremolo, Grover machine heads, I believe 2 ea Steve Ripley Pickups model XK110, Single volume and single tone knobs with a 3 way toggle and 2 micro switches. ( I can post pics later if need be). It is Scarlet red with a Rosewood fretboard and shark fin inlays. The guitar pays like a dream. Action is very low with no fret buzz, not a single tuning problem with use of the whammy. If anyone can offer me any info on this guitar it would be greatly appreciated. I have emailed Ovation to see if they would have anything on it but have not heard back from them yet. I would really like to know what the body and neck are made from, string gauge out of the factory, and production run. I'm thinking there couldn't have been many because everyone who knows anything about vintage guitars or one offs can't tell me a thing. I look forward to being a member here and getting some of valued input from people who have more knowledge than I with Ovation Guitars.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stonebobbo
Posted 2011-02-18 4:55 PM (#2061 - in reply to #2060)
Subject: Re: Hello from Florida

Welcome. I have one of those, sans the RZ autograph. They're not that common, but I wouldn;t say rare. A few members here have them.

Does yours look like this?

Definitely an 80's guitar!
John C
Posted 2011-02-18 5:12 PM (#2062 - in reply to #2060)

Yes except I only have 2 XK110 Pickups. Neck and Bridge Or maybe they are XK120's the label has worn off of them so they are one or the other. I also have 2 micro-switches instead of just one
John C
Posted 2011-02-24 11:11 AM (#2063 - in reply to #2060)

Got some info from Ovation. My GC-2-6 Was manufactured in 1985. Body is basswood, neck is rock maple with a rosewood fretboard. Pickups are Steve Ripley XK120 dual coil humbucks. Wired to a 3 way toggle and 2 Micro switches that are configured for coil spliting. Production run was not available but Rep seems to think that there weren't very many made in 85 as it was pretty much a test market for first run of these guitars. That's all I could muster up so far. Keep Rockin
John
ds8894
Posted 2011-05-26 12:35 AM (#2064 - in reply to #2060)

Hey guys. I have the same guitar, but have a problem with the trem block which crumbled on me. I've been looking for a replacement trem for it, but I'm having trouble finding parts or a replacement. I've tried 2 different styles of floyd rose trems, but neither have fit it right. Any ideas on where I can find a new trem like the one on the guitar or a workable floyd replacement?
stonebobbo
Posted 2011-05-27 11:56 AM (#2065 - in reply to #2060)

No idea, but I've got one with the same problem and I looked and looked and finally gave up. The best option I came up with was to buy another one and use it for parts.
ds8894
Posted 2011-05-31 11:42 PM (#2066 - in reply to #2060)

I've been looking for a long time as well. I've also thought about finding another one to strip for parts. Every so often one turns up on ebay. I'll keep looking. Thanks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)