The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Adamas & Adamas II Differnces

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> The Adamas GuitarMessage format

TAFKAR
Posted 2014-08-27 6:53 PM (#493702 - in reply to #487527)
Subject: Re: Adamas & Adamas II Differnces

I think the varnish/polyester/whatever they put on the shiny tops makes the top a bit thicker and a bit less resonant than the textured top Adamases. Deep bowl is a bigger sound than mid bowl and the hand-laid bowls give another element as well. My 08 Collectors Adamas has all of the desirable differences from the W597. I don't know which ones make the biggest contribution to the sound difference, but it is there. I'll repeat again though, the W597 is a great guitar for the price you quoted.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2014-08-27 7:54 PM (#493706 - in reply to #492656)

After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or ear), but it's an Adamas and it's got the revolutionary carbon fiber top and patented sound board suspension system (can't recall the exact name). It has to be a step up from my Elite and any noticeable improvement over that guitar is going to be AWEESOME!

But what do I know, I'm just a...
SillyLittleBoy

Hey SLB if you look at an old thread labeled suspension top it states that the SMT and CVT Adamii do not have suspension tops,i have a 1597 SMT it is a very articulate guitar wonderful for fingerpicking but IMHO my 1769 custom legend has more sustain, apples and oranges as they're both awesome guitars so its more a matter of what's your mood not which is better
nerdydave
Posted 2014-08-28 12:04 AM (#493724 - in reply to #487527)

That is a fact?? They do not have suspension tops??
SillyLittleBoy
Posted 2014-08-28 3:07 PM (#493760 - in reply to #487527)

I second nerdydave's comment: The W597 Does NOT have the suspension tops? I had assumed all the CF topped Adamas guitars did. I guess my research needs to continue further and deeper.
Leo
Posted 2014-09-10 12:54 AM (#494126 - in reply to #487527)

The price you quoted the W597 is very good for an entry level Adamas. Only put Thomastik Infeld Spectrum strings, and sustain plus tone will be beyond words. Any coated string like Addario Exp, or Elixir is not recommended for Adamas guitars. They take off sustain, warm and sound a bit muddy. Thomastik infeld spectrum is the perfect pair for any Adamas guitar. The main characteristic of an Adamas guitar, as I have a 1598 MERB, is the like reverb integrated natural sound. It´s like you have an amp plugged in with a little reverb effect. With the difference you don´t have an amp plugged The only time I feel a wood topped Ovation is better, is when I play Mexican music, or latin american folklore. Otherwise the Adamas is the choice for balads, rock, and so on.

Instance, I don´t like how the Adamas strings sound in the Adamas guitar. Sound a bit muddy, and lack warm plus sustain. With Thomastik Spectrum the guitar has more volume, fantastic sustain, and trebles don´t sound muddy, but warm and natural- The string choice is critical to make an Adamas to sound its best.

Edited by Leo 2014-09-10 1:08 AM
nerdydave
Posted 2014-09-14 11:50 PM (#494185 - in reply to #487527)

I bought my Adamas without seeing or playing it and without having played any Adamas and I have not regretted it for one millisecond!!
Tony Calman
Posted 2014-09-15 3:23 AM (#494187 - in reply to #487527)

Each individual will be different as to the Adamas I or II. This is true in cars, planes, houses, etc. Personally, although I have had II's, CVT, and SMT, I have Adamas I 1187 (47RI), 1687's, and 1688. Like it or not, the Adamas I is my choice. The additional weight of the headstock actually helps balance the guitar. Kind of like whether you want a Mustang or a Mustang GT, or a 6cyl Camero or a Z28 (see, I am older than most, bought a Z28 in 1984). Stay within the Adamas textured top I or II, you will not be disappointed. Only exception us the unique CVT Millennium that honors Pluto and (per myself and others) has a harpsichordic effect. Ask yourself, would you buy a Bentley with cloth seats?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)