The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Any Ovation Nylon-String Guitar Sound Sample?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

AW
Posted 2008-01-28 12:26 PM (#58047)
Subject: Any Ovation Nylon-String Guitar Sound Sample?

Hi,

Wonder if any fellow member has some sound/song samples of any of the Ovation nylon-string guitars to share? Always want to know how it is different from those "traditional" classic guitars.

Our local dealer seldom imports those & even if they do, it's usually the Super Shallow model which doesn't sound quite good...

Thanks, Andy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Todd
Posted 2008-01-28 1:04 PM (#58048 - in reply to #58047)
Subject: Re: Any Ovation Nylon-String Guitar Sound Sample?

I have an Artist LX which I compared to a friends Nylon Shallow bowl, 12 fretter that has a ceder top (not sure of the model but a USA made one with older electronics, maybe OP24). Surpisingly, unplugged the shallow bowl was louder, probably becuase of the ceder top, maybe the 12 fret to the body. Both are great guitars.
Jérôme
Posted 2008-01-28 1:09 PM (#58049 - in reply to #58047)

Hi Andy,

You can listen to this tune played by my friend Jipé.
It's called VOYAGE A L\'ENVERS and it's at my own opinion a very good sample of the fantastic sound of an old Country Artist!!
I hope you'll enjoy. ;)

J :)
stephent28
Posted 2008-01-28 1:18 PM (#58050 - in reply to #58047)

Staying within the Kaman family (but not the Ovation line), I would seriously consider the Takamine Hirade series or their slightly lower priced classical line.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-28 1:39 PM (#58051 - in reply to #58047)

I'm not sure if you get a true appreciation for the sound if the clips are from the pickups, rather than a microphone.
I don't care for the sound of nylon string classicals generally. The sound is just a little too small for me. I much prefer the sound of my Classic over the Country Artist. Besides the bowl depth there is also a difference in the tops, cedar vs. spruce and 12 fret vs. 14 fret necks. Last spring I knew the difference between flamenco and classical guitars, but I forgot them.
an4340
Posted 2008-01-28 1:41 PM (#58052 - in reply to #58047)

I've been to Hong Kong a couple of times, and each time I hit Tommy Lee's in Tsar Tsim Chewey (sp?). Last time I was there, two years ago, they had a great selection of Adamas, Takamine's and Ovations. Honestly, though I can't remember if they had any nylon string guitars, cause I always seem to focus on the steel strings.

That said, an Ovation Country Artist, would be great for Hong Kong. You'd have the hard bowl in the back instead of the wood which would make it that much more resistant to the Hong Kong humidity.

It would be great for gigging, because while it's average sounding played acousticly, plugged in, it's sublime.

If you're going to be cosidering something beside and Ovation, then also consider Yamaha's. I like their classicals too.
an4340
Posted 2008-01-28 1:49 PM (#58053 - in reply to #58047)

Doesn't Sergio Lara play play a CA? You might want to check out his myspace page, I know he's got some samples on it. He's great.

http://www.sergiolara.com/
AW
Posted 2008-01-28 9:54 PM (#58054 - in reply to #58047)

Thanks all for your suggestions (& Jerome for the music clip of course)...

Cheers, Andy
AW
Posted 2008-01-28 10:34 PM (#58055 - in reply to #58047)

Tried to add some more info to my previous post but interrupted by a phone call and then too late to edit it...

I've bought a Toyama (I guess it's a Japanese brand but this particular one was made by Cuena) last year. I wanted to get a Takamine or Yamaha but the "plug-in" version were all sold out in HK at that time.

The sound of this Toyama is quite muddy & I always want to replace it. Also, there seems to be some problems with the wire grounding: there is always the "humm" sound when plug-in. It'll be gone if I touch the guitar connector with my finger, or try to ground my Boss multi-track recorder by connecting it to something else.

I should have done more "research" before the purchase (or be more patient to wait for the Yamaha or Takamine). From what I read afterwards about the Toyama, they don't make good guitars & probably only their entry-level models are good for beginners - in terms of prices.

Cheers, Andy
Trader Jim
Posted 2008-01-29 9:52 AM (#58056 - in reply to #58047)

Jerome, very nice clip!
Waskel
Posted 2008-01-29 10:41 AM (#58057 - in reply to #58047)

Jerome, please tell your friend Jipé "very nicely played"!
Tony Calman
Posted 2008-01-29 6:54 PM (#58058 - in reply to #58047)

IMHO, as an acoustic, the Classic is far better than the CA although the CA is enjoyable. Plugged in...no problem.

The Classic and CA are different guitars, for different style play...

Dave describes the CA:
The Ovation Country Artist is one of the more unique Ovation models. Basically a nylon string for steel string finger pickers. It has a traditional flat classical fingerboard, but the nut width is a slim 1-7/8 inch compared to the typical 2 inch width of a classical. The neck joins the body at the 14th fret, same as Ovation steel sting guitars. As part of the Artist series, this guitar features the slightly shallower Artist depth bowl. The tuners are chrome plated Schaller Classicals.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-29 7:25 PM (#58059 - in reply to #58047)

I agree with Tony, although I think I said it first. When I was looking at a Classic, Beal said he thought I'd like the cedar top with the nylon strings. He was right.
If anyone ever wants to come over and listen, I'm sure I can fit you in. Let's see, Waskel was here a year or so ago...that's about it. My 2 guitar stools are waiting.
Tupperware
Posted 2008-01-29 7:42 PM (#58060 - in reply to #58047)

NOT to derail this conversation, and go ahead and call me a homer (or a homo), but .....

I recently picked up a Takamine Classical (actually 2 of them) and I am stunned how nice they sound. Nothing against Ovation and I've owned more than a few O classicals and country artists (and still do), but those are other guitars for other days. The Takamine is not a real expensive one, model TC132-SC (about a $1300. guitar). Cedar top, rosewood back/sides. Even in my ham fists it sounds extremely nice. You want plugged in? Cool Tube and Nylon strings are like a dream match. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to dis Ovation classicals at all. Great instruments. My only point is that the choices out there in classical guitars are huge and varied. One size does not fit all. OK, back to being an O fan.

Dave
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-29 7:45 PM (#58061 - in reply to #58047)

Nice of you to come back out of the closet, Dave.
(Tup has one of the nicest collections of guitars in his closet.)
Tony Calman
Posted 2008-01-29 11:18 PM (#58062 - in reply to #58047)

I picked up a near new Takamine CP132SC, cedar top, a/e from Serge. Had to trade an Adamas II 6-str (1681-7).

Basically same guitar as Dave's but mine has the 1988 Accuracoustic pre-amp while Dave's has the CTP-1 (cool tube).

Compared to the Tak, the Classic holds it own and is a lot more durable if you walk into mike stands...however, the Tak is the one that gets played.

Anyone need a near new 1763 Classic?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)