The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Looking To Come Back To An Ovation!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

SpruceTop
Posted 2011-02-12 6:41 PM (#2093)
Subject: Looking To Come Back To An Ovation!

Hi Folks,

My name is Ken, and currently I have no Ovations but have what looks like a fine opportunity to once again become an owner. First some background: Back in the late 1970s to mid-1980s, I was a committed Ovation owner having had over a dozen high-end models including Custom Legends, a Custom Legend 12-string, Legends, and an Adamas. Back then, as a part-time professional player, my Ovations made life easier in the various venues in which I performed. I could count on them to deliver a feedback-free, amplified performance to my audience!

Fast-forward to today and I have an opportunity to buy an excellent-condition Ovation 1651 12-string model from my favorite local guitar dealer. This guitar was taken as a trade-in and doesn't have a case. I played the guitar, both acoustically and amplified, and it sounds very nice with a well-balanced tone. Being a newbie, I'm not sure if I can post to this board the price the dealer quoted me for this 1651, whose serial number would place this as a late 2003 guitar. I'd like to post the price so Ovation FanClub members can comment as to whether or not this guitar is a good deal. I'll await permission before posting the price. Thanks for this wonderful Ovation discussion board!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2011-02-12 10:28 PM (#2094 - in reply to #2093)
Subject: Re: Looking To Come Back To An Ovation!

I guess you can post the price, but frankly it's not going to mean anything. No matter what price you post, I can guarantee someone has paid 50% or less for that they are asking, and more than likely someone else has paid at least 15% or more than what the person is asking.

How is this possible you might ask?? Somewhat simple answer is there are so many Ovations out there, and so many people who still know little about them. We have seen people asking over-the-top ($1000's) for $400 imports, and had others pay a few hundred for a rare Prototype.

My best advise is follow what is in the FAQ.
http://www.ovationfanclub.com/faq.asp

Q: What is my Ovation guitar worth?
A: This is probably the most frequently asked question, and the hardest to answer. Worth is very subjective and changes rapidly with fickle markets. What something ultimately is worth is a combination of what one person is willing to pay versus what another person is willing to accept. Many factors, not the least of which is the actual condition of the guitar, will affect the selling price. There are so many other factors involved in pricing a musical instrument. Is is collectable? Is it rare? Is it popular?

The best way to get an idea of what your guitar might sell for is to use the "Completed Auctions" feature of eBay Search to see what similar models have sold for recently. Other online resources include www.gbase.com and www.guitarlist.com. Your best bet, unless you need it appraised for insurance or other reasons, is to try and ask yourself "How much is this instrument worth to me?" More value related resources include the "The Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars" and "The Blue Book of Electric Guitars" both edited by S. P. Fjestad and available in paperback by Gurney Brown. There is also the software version "The S-Book of Guitars" by S. P. Fjestad. Click here to connect to Blue Book Publishing, Inc.
SpruceTop
Posted 2011-02-13 10:09 AM (#2095 - in reply to #2093)

Thanks for the advice Mr. Ovation!

Please note that in my original posting I erroneously described the used Ovation Model 6751 12-string as a Model 1651. Sorry for any confusion that may have caused those reading my original post.

Now, here are the particulars of the deal: The dealer will sell me the like-new 2003 Model 6751 12-String Balladeer for $500 out-the-door including New York State Sales Tax. The guitar doesn't have a hardshell case. I'm thinking this may not be that great a deal as I can get a new Ovation Standard Balladeer 2751 AX 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar for $799 including a hardshell case. This newer 12-string features the Deep Contour Bowl and better electronics than the used Ovation 6751 12-string. I think I'm leaning towards the new 2751 12-string. I'm assuming the Ovation Standard Balladeer 2751 AX 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar is an American-made Ovation. Am I correct in my assumption? Thanks for any follow-up thoughts and advice any members care to offer me!

Regards,

SpruceTop
TAFKAR
Posted 2011-02-13 6:28 PM (#2096 - in reply to #2093)

AX is an Asian made model. (TX is American) What's not clear to me is the neck attachment on the AX models - while it's still a Balladeer, the neck on the AX might be glued in, rather than bolted on. This could be a problem down the road if it ever needs a neck re-set.

If you can lay your hands on the AX, take a dentist mirror into the store and have a look inside the bowl where the neck is attached. If you can't see two bolts ...
moody, p.i.
Posted 2011-02-13 7:24 PM (#2097 - in reply to #2093)

Doesn't TX mean it was built at the factory in Texas?
bauerhillboy
Posted 2011-02-13 7:46 PM (#2098 - in reply to #2093)

AX and TX are both imports.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2011-02-13 7:46 PM (#2099 - in reply to #2093)

posted by TAFKAR:
(TX is American)
No! TX is Korean. AX is Korean.

I have not personally looked inside an AX or a TX...
But rumor has it that they both have dove-tailed epoxy-glued neck joints.
This prevents a shade-tree luthier like me from resetting the necks at home.

If you get a good AX that has a nice set-up it may be a great player for years.
But these are not designed to be repaired/refurbished.
Like everything else these days... It is made to be disposable.
You don't fix them, you throw them away and buy another.

JMPO YMMV :p
TAFKAR
Posted 2011-02-13 8:01 PM (#2100 - in reply to #2093)

Oops! I stand corrected. I meant "LX", but typed before engaging the brain.
SpruceTop
Posted 2011-03-12 10:13 PM (#2101 - in reply to #2093)

Regarding my OP, I just purchased that used, mint condition, late-2003 Ovation Model 6751 12-String Acoustic Electric. I got it home today, Saturday, and have played it acoustically and plugged-in, and all I can say is--WOW! I love it! This used 6751 will massage my 12-string playing urges without my spending a bundle of cash on new 12-string axes, like I've done in the past, only to have them sit most of my playing time because I generally prefer the dynamics and punch of 6-string guitars.

Frankly, given my past experiences, back in the day, with a multitude of new, late 1970s/early 1980s Ovations, and, now, this newer 2003 Ovation 6751 12-string, I'm thinking of purchasing more Ovations, new and/or used! Anybody have a mint condition 2007 Collector's Edition for sale?

Regards,

SpruceTop
SpruceTop
Posted 2011-03-13 4:14 PM (#2102 - in reply to #2093)

Hello, Mr. Ovation,

I still don't have access to the rest of the Ovation FanClub site. Is there something I need to do to be able to do this? Thanks for any info you can give me.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)