The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Transducer problems??

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

Midwestredroger
Posted 2008-01-26 2:26 PM (#58247)
Subject: Transducer problems??

I just recently got possession of an FRG Ovation Balladeer 6571LX 12 string (purchased online). While it sounds great unplugged, when amplified I discovered that I have a problem. Yesterday I had some bandmates come by and so had the chance to plug in. However things did not go as well as planned as for some reason the D string did not amplify well at all. This is sort of an understatement as a matter of fact except for some distorted crackling sound the D string did not seem to get picked up directly at all and was essentially dead as amplified.

Anyway I tried various measures, different guitar cord, different amplifier, another brand new 9 volt, turning up the preamp volume /turning down the preamp volume, turning the bypass filter on and off. However all of this was to no avail.

I contacted the dealer and he mentioned that this is no too an unusual problem in acoustic electric guitars and that the problem is usually with the positioning of the transducer under the saddle and the fix is relatively quick and easy. He was not in the store but has asked me to call him next week and said he will help make it right.

So with this long soliloquy almost being finished, my question is have others also experienced this problem? Is it something that is not too big a deal? The fix is easy?

BTW: I very much appreciate the advice I received about FRG guitars.

Roger
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2008-01-26 2:29 PM (#58248 - in reply to #58247)
Subject: Re: Transducer problems??

did you change strings?
if that does not fix it
sounds like you have a bad pickup.
Midwestredroger
Posted 2008-01-26 3:07 PM (#58249 - in reply to #58247)

Hi alpep,

No I have not had the chance to try that, however I will. If as you say the pickup may be bad then how easy a fix is that, is it something I can do?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2008-01-26 7:38 PM (#58250 - in reply to #58247)

Originally posted by Midwestredroger:

I contacted the dealer and he mentioned that this is no too an unusual problem in acoustic electric guitars and that the problem is usually with the positioning of the transducer under the saddle and the fix is relatively quick and easy.
Roger
Your dealer was partly correct in the case of a standard undersaddle pickup (though the fix is rarely quick or easy) However in the case of string imbalance with Ovation pickups the problem is ususally down to a faulty piezo element, and the entire pickup/saddle assembly needs to be changed. FRG's are cosmetic faults only, so the pickup should be covered by the FRG warranty. Ask the dealer to order a new pickup.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)