The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Lead Booster?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

dobro
Posted 2008-01-26 12:48 PM (#58253)
Subject: Lead Booster?

I like the lead boost feature on the AD 1769 (even if it has glitches). Does anyone have a gizmo or technique for instant "cut through the noise" when you need to switch from nice, full rhythm to a lead? Generally my rhythm settings are low and I like to play full chords (pretty hard at that). But the guitar needs to be much "hotter" when you play high single notes. What is the technology beheind the AD 1769 booster and how can it be duplicated for another guitar (Adamas, Legend) that does not have it. The problem is that the transition has to INSTANT. No time to fiddle with knobs etc....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2008-01-26 1:26 PM (#58254 - in reply to #58253)
Subject: Re: Lead Booster?

There's any number of ways to do that. One of the simplest would be an MXR Micro-Amp, which provides up to 20dB of clean boost, via footswitch and a gain knob. Or you could use a volume pedal, or you could use a compressor pedal with the comp engaged to reduce the level for rhythm and uncompressed for solos, or have the solo compressed with the compressors gain boosted to give you a lift in level. Or You could use an A/B pedal going to switch between 2 channels on your mixer, with the solo channel set louder than the rhythm channel. Etc, Etc, Etc....
dobro
Posted 2008-01-26 2:24 PM (#58255 - in reply to #58253)

Thanks, Paul. I have indeed pondered the volume pedal option. Gotta check out the MXR Micro-Amp (never heard of that one)...
Arc Angel
Posted 2008-01-26 2:53 PM (#58256 - in reply to #58253)

dobro,

What are the glitches on the lead boost on your ADII?
FlySig
Posted 2008-01-26 4:57 PM (#58257 - in reply to #58253)

I'm considering getting a Bad Monkey box to use as a volume booster. For $49 it looks like the best dollar value of the different options out there. Some of the volume pedals also look like they would do the job, but at a much higher cost.
Omaha
Posted 2008-01-26 5:08 PM (#58258 - in reply to #58253)

Here's another vote for some manner of foot operated solution. Being able to make the switch hands-free is extremely useful.
dobro
Posted 2008-01-26 5:11 PM (#58259 - in reply to #58253)

It did not work at all. JB sent me a replacement OP PRO and it showed signs of life. Not very impressive, however. I asked to try the OP STUDIO. Now this gives MUCH better sound, but it seems a bit incompatible with the 1769: I get a nasty hum and the battery light is on 24-7 (Jeff has the same problem with his 1769 and OP STUDIO.

The OP PRO sucks. Don't expect to play much in the upper octave of the 1769 either.
lanaki
Posted 2008-01-26 6:34 PM (#58260 - in reply to #58253)

by the title of this thread, i thought you were looking for an unleaded gas additive to put in your car's fuel tank! :p
Brian T
Posted 2008-01-26 6:51 PM (#58261 - in reply to #58253)

This is a problem I've been struggling with for years.

At first I tried some standard electric guitar effects pedals like the Boss Blues Drive. Problem with these things is that they just don't go well with the piezo pickup of a typical Ovation, they really are designed for magnetic pickups. That and they tend to overly destort the tone which doesnt really go well with acoustic chord strumming.

Then I tried a volume pedal. Problem here is that while it's pretty easy to "step on it" to get max volume, it takes a lot of finesse to get the volume back to an accurate normal level. Also the Ernie Ball Passive pedal I tried killed the tone of the guitar to a large extent.

Now I am using a Boss EQ pedal. I leave it off for chords and strumming and step on it for leads. I keep the sliders pretty flat across the band, with just a notch of extra gain on all sliders. So far this has been the best solution for me anyway. when the lead solo is over I just step on it again to kick the volume back down.

All these things take some practice. They sound easy on paper but when you actually try them it takes a bit of coordination

I would like to see an Acoustic-Electric guitar with a volume slide control on the back of the neck somewhere, possibly even the back of the peg head so I could control it with the thumb of my left hand.

Good luck!
BruDeV
Posted 2008-01-26 7:13 PM (#58262 - in reply to #58253)

Boss LS-2
Depending on how you set the a,b,bypass switch you can get 2 or three preset volume levels.

This can be used in alot of other ways as well.

I usually use it in the a-b-bypass mode and only plug into the input and output jacks, so that I have three preset levels.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2008-01-26 7:44 PM (#58263 - in reply to #58253)

Another option, and one which I use sometimes, is to make sure you have plenty headroom in your signal chain and do it all from your hands. Set your overall level for solos, play softer for backup and dig in when you need to. Takes a little thought and good stage monitors or you can end up stomping all over everything, but can work for certain playing styles.
dobro
Posted 2008-01-26 7:51 PM (#58264 - in reply to #58253)

Welcome back LA-NA-KI!! And thanks BruDeV and BrianT (and again, PT). I love my 1581-5, especially the cutaway and neck and great low end and and and. However (PT) I can't "leave it up loud" and just play soft for rhythm. The damn thing is like a speaker cone and feeds back even when NOT plugged in (joke). The problem is compounded by having Jeff's strong Elite blasting into the Adamas at every turn. So, yes, I need Air Locks (Alex?), but will definitely try one of the ideas here so that I can have a gentle setting for rhythm on which I can bash away and rasgueado away with no fear at all. Then *STOMP* and I cut through for lead. Monkey Box. WTF? Boss stuff looks cool. Gotta check it all out.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2008-01-26 8:01 PM (#58265 - in reply to #58253)

You need a Behringer Shark. Usually I hate Behringer and their s**ty gear and shady business practices but trust me, just buy one, and you wont need airlocks, plus you'll get around 12dB extra feedback-free headroom without screwing your tone.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2008-01-26 8:52 PM (#58266 - in reply to #58253)

+1 for Behringer Shark.
dobro
Posted 2008-01-26 8:57 PM (#58267 - in reply to #58253)

Wow, nice suggestion. However, I am a bit hesitant to get into DSP. I hate Aura, Zoom, VIP etc. Is the Shark gonna take over me like the Borg? Really, with the Aura etc. resistance is futile!!!
FlySig
Posted 2008-01-26 9:05 PM (#58268 - in reply to #58253)

Originally posted by dobro:
Monkey Box. WTF?
Digitec Bad Monkey . It's a tube overdrive stomp box that can be set for clean sounds and the output volume adjusted. I think it could be set for a little boost with no distortion and then it could be used as a simple volume booster.
an4340
Posted 2008-01-26 9:09 PM (#58269 - in reply to #58253)

The Behringer is definitely on the right track. Here in NYC the sansamp di para driver, or one of its iterations, is very popular.

I've found them to be nifty little units that not only color tone, if you want them too, but give you a boost at the tap of button.

One these, either the Behringer or the sansamp, will meet your needs.
an4340
Posted 2008-01-26 9:14 PM (#58270 - in reply to #58253)

Let me add, I never thought about using a booster with an acoustic until I saw Kaki King. Never entered my consciousness.

FlySig
Posted 2008-01-26 9:25 PM (#58271 - in reply to #58253)

Another option is the Morley volume pedal. It has a minimum volume set, unlike other volume pedals.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-01-26 10:51 PM (#58272 - in reply to #58253)

I've been using a Jacques Tube Driver I picked up from StephenT, with the volume up and gain down. Dial in the right amount of boost I want, then stomp and go. It seems to be a bit cleaner than the Keeley Blues Driver and does not affect the piezo tone.
muzza
Posted 2008-01-27 7:41 AM (#58273 - in reply to #58253)

Originally posted by lanaki:
by the title of this thread, i thought you were looking for an unleaded gas additive to put in your car's fuel tank! :p
Maybe my mind's in the gutter, but I thought someone was in for a warning from Al for advertising something to put 'lead in your pencil'.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2008-01-27 8:56 AM (#58274 - in reply to #58253)

Dobro, Bear in mind that the Shark will not provide a boost, or change your tone in any way. Although it has several functions it is mainly a feedback destroyer, which it does extremely well. One of the problems with using any kind of boost is that it may significantly lower your feedback threshold. Using a Shark in conjunction with a boost will deal with that.
dobro
Posted 2008-01-27 3:46 PM (#58275 - in reply to #58253)

Some nice options here. I can see that many of you guys have wrestled with the same problem. Good company, for sure!
jb
Posted 2008-01-28 3:41 AM (#58276 - in reply to #58253)

+1 for the MXR Micro Amp.

My amp tech said that's what he uses when he plays. And he's impossible to please, so if he uses something like that over something that he's designed and built himself, then it must be good.

JB
dobro
Posted 2008-01-28 8:20 AM (#58277 - in reply to #58253)

I'm going to follow much of the advice here (including PT's) and try a pre-amp booster. Anyone here ever use the Nobels Pre 1 ?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)