The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation S771 Balladeer Special

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

Ted189
Posted 2008-01-25 11:46 PM (#58318)
Subject: Ovation S771 Balladeer Special

Hi,
New to the site. Actually new to playing the guitar - attempting to teach myself. Puchased an Ovation model cc026 and love it. I think I've got a bug, though, because I found myself looking at other Ovation models.
I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the S771 Balladeer Special. I love the look and wondering if there's a big difference in sound, action, overall quality, etc. I've read some good reviews at Harmony, but discoverd this site and thought I'd check with the Ovation experts.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2008-01-26 7:44 AM (#58319 - in reply to #58318)
Subject: Re: Ovation S771 Balladeer Special

Ted, welcome to the club.

The S771 is a very good guitar. It's the very low end of American Ovations. What I wonder is why you want one that looks almost just like your cc026. As far as the rosette and fret markers, the Special may be a step down in appearance even.

A few things to consider:

I just sold my S771. The satin finish was showing some use. Where my forearm rested on the top, and even where my fingers tend to rest below the soundhole, the satin was starting to get glossy. Assuming it was only going to get worse, it was time either sell it or keep it forever. I like the look of satin, but it didn't prove practical.

I have always wanted a 1778T . It's generally thought to be the best sounding Ovation under $1000. I just got one and compared the sound side by side, and the Elite T boomed by comparison. They had the same size bowl, nut wodth, and preamp. Go to Guitar Center and try them side by side.

Here's the thing. I paid $700 for my Balladeer, because I paid $100 for a special finish. Time after time I saw Elite T's come up for less than I'd paid and regretted not getting one in the first place. I sold it for $400 and got the 1778T for $500. We just had a thread in "For Sale" about good prices for one. They sometimes dip into the $400 range, but can be found in the $500 range. Even if you pay $700, you will be happy with it.

Since you love the Celebrity, you will love a Special as well, or a T even more.

You might try this. Post a topic in For Sale saying you want a guitar for $XX.00. You'll get offers on some great guitars that far exceed the value of an S771, for less money.

Welcome again!

Jas
Trader Jim
Posted 2008-01-26 8:02 AM (#58320 - in reply to #58318)

Welcome Ted, and Jas is right (did I just say that?), Go for a "T".
Ted189
Posted 2008-01-26 9:12 AM (#58321 - in reply to #58318)

Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick response. I've read differing opinions on the American made Ovations and the Korean models. I thought moving to the Balladeer would be a step up, but maybe not. I happen to like the clean look of the S771 and yes it is very similar to the cc026. I prefer natural to many of the colors, though the black and red appear to have a nice finish.

I checked out the 1778T as you suggested on E-Bay and all are in the $600 and up range. In all fairness, you're correct, I need to give a listen side-by-side. I really haven't exposed myself to all the different models. I was honestly looking to just get into the game for as little as possible.

My problem is, as mentioned previously, I'm new to guitar playing and have gotten bitten by the bug. You see another guitar and say, "Wow, I've gotta have that one". Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm at a point in my life where I can afford to make that purchase. However, my wife may think I've lost it if I start collecting guitars while having only been playing about a month.

Thanks again for your thoughts. Love the site!
BT717
Posted 2008-01-26 10:45 AM (#58322 - in reply to #58318)

He Ted189,
Most of us are or were in the same "thought pattern" you are. I have been playing for 6 years now and have gone thru close to 15 guitars!! It's called G.A.S. (guitar aquitition
syndrom) It only gets better!!! :D :D :D
PEZ
Posted 2008-01-26 4:24 PM (#58323 - in reply to #58318)

AL got a deal on Balladeer LX if its still there
69. Ovation 1861lx ccb New with full factory warranty. OHSC cherry cherry burst finish. great playing guitar. $799
http://www.lostartvintage.com/mainframe.asp

It would be much better sounding and the OP-Pro
with the hi output OCP-1 pickup
is an impressive sounding.

You will not out grow it anytime soon.
Oddball
Posted 2008-01-26 7:13 PM (#58324 - in reply to #58318)

Not sure what kind of top your CC026 has, but the single biggest step up in Ovations is getting one with a solid top. A lot of the foreign-made ones look fabulous with their exotic tops, but that's because a thin laminate of pretty stuff is put over what is basically plywood. Cheaper to make this way as the plies tend to be stiffer and require less bracing. At least that's how I understand it. The drawback is, plywood doesn't resonate like solid spruce. And all the American made Ovations from the S771 on up have solid tops. So whatever you choose, make sure it's got a solid top. The difference in sound in that feature alone is worth a few extra bucks — and it's a pretty common phenomenon when you're trying to learn (or improve) that the better the guitar sounds, the more you WANT to play it.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2008-01-26 9:34 PM (#58325 - in reply to #58318)

Ted, I get your predicament exactly. I had the S771 as my first and only acoustic Ovation for over 2 years before I upgraded. I still only have one. You will love it.

I just wanted to point out that if it's a matter of playing the Celeb for 6 months or a year longer while you save up the extra couple hundred, it's worth thinking about.

Also, don't count out trying a nice used Ovation. great deals abound.
Ted189
Posted 2008-01-27 12:08 AM (#58326 - in reply to #58318)

I appreciate all the comments, however, I'm now torn between the S771 and the 1778T. I see a couple of the 1778T's on E-Bay, but their in the $800 range, while someone is selling a S771 for $500. The guitar looks clean and the seller has 100% positive feedback. I read the reviews at Harmony on the 1778 and everyone raves, as Captain Lovehandles did. Is it wrong to want both???

I'm not adverse to used. My Celebrity 0026 is 2 yrs old. I found it on E-Bay, owned by a young lady looking to upgrade. If I had discoverd this site sooner, I may have waited, but it got, what I think is, a decent guitar into my hands to start playing.

OK, my question is: Do I sit tight and continue practicing with the 0026 or splurge and pick-up the S771 for $500 or wait it out and save a few extra bucks for the 1778???????

Do you guys consider the S771 an upgrade over the Celebrity?? Or, are they considered closely matched?

I feel like I actually have a support group who understands my dilemna. My wife thinks I'm nuts!

Thanks!
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2008-01-27 7:51 AM (#58327 - in reply to #58318)

That's why you need to try them both side by side. That might give you your answer.

If you really have only been playing a month, there's no harm in waiting. You did say you loved the Celeb.
G8r
Posted 2008-01-27 8:04 AM (#58328 - in reply to #58318)

Originally posted by Ted189:
I feel like I actually have a support group who understands my dilemna. My wife thinks I'm nuts!
All our wives (we call them SWMBO for She Who Must Be Obeyed) think we're nuts. And we're not so much a support group as a bunch of enablers. Just look at how many posts in the For Sale section boil down to "Just go for it {insert OFC member handle here (usually Trader Jim)}".

Seriously, the T is a really good sounding and easy playing guitar (at least the Captain's is, it's the only one I've tried). I understand the the GAS pains but the Captain's right; if you like your current guitar, hang on to it, get more info here on other flavors, and maybe attend a gathering where you can try out a whole bunch of different O's and A's before deciding on one.
Gway
Posted 2008-01-27 8:43 AM (#58329 - in reply to #58318)

Originally posted by Captain_Lovehandles:
[QB] Ted, welcome to the club.

A few things to consider:

I just sold my S771. The satin finish was showing some use. Where my forearm rested on the top, and even where my fingers tend to rest below the soundhole, the satin was starting to get glossy. Assuming it was only going to get worse, it was time either sell it or keep it forever. I like the look of satin, but it didn't prove practical.

Ted, welome to the best forum around!
Capt. I know what you mean, I just sold my car because the ashtray was full! :D
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2008-01-27 10:52 AM (#58330 - in reply to #58318)

Welcome Ted ,
Look , take my advice :
Go for that 5000 dollar ADAMAS , and you`ll be set for life :)
..on the other hand , U could follow the advice offered by the others , become a guitar -virtuoso , rich , famous , and invite us all for dinner..

Vic

..I hear burger king is good , or whatever , just no sushi..
FlySig
Posted 2008-01-27 1:55 PM (#58331 - in reply to #58318)

Ted, run like your ass is on fire! This place is like the Hotel California. You can check in, but you can never leave. Today it's a CC026, tomorrow you're an addict.

If you think this is a support group, you're sadly mistaken. You'll just be encouraged to continue in your guitar debauchery. Run now!

You still here? Ah, then buy the 1778 in any flavor. You cannot go wrong with the T, the red flame, blue flame, tribal flame, orange flame, or the LX. Guitar Center has their own custom versions, too. The GCXT is the red flame or orange flame. The GC17LX is the 1778LX. You may find a great price on a used one on eBay or on the Guitar Center website under used guitars.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)