The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Generation Gap Stories

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

Northcountry
Posted 2008-01-24 7:50 PM (#58626)
Subject: Generation Gap Stories

I have noticed the GAP I once thought I was on the younger side of has opened more and more now I am going through my 40's.

Last summer I asked a young rocker dude who was listening to some music I overheard, and found I liked, what the bands name was. He said, over the cranked stereo in his car, something I could hardly make out..I did manage to hear puddle of mud, and looked down to see if I was destroying my good shoes............

OK......... strike one for the "OLD DUDE"........... should have walked away right there but no......
It seems such a short time ago I was the kid listening to the new music and playing in a cool band and attracting the chicks and taking notes from the current rock stars. So I tried to jump the GAP again even though it was much larger than before and while he saw I did not go away.......
He respectfully turned down the stereo in his car, to his head bangin buddies dismay, and we laughed at my lack of current music knowledge. To add to our more than Obvious Generation Gap I asked him......

"Is this song new or is this from an older album?" .......he looks at me and says.

"No they don't have enough CD's out yet for a whole album of music.... this is a CD that came out last year".

I was going to ask what the name of the song was or the CD but I thought I would just leave or misery to float away in the breeze and just nod my head in understanding and walk slowly away.

Any of you old farts have this kinda problem recently?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-24 7:59 PM (#58627 - in reply to #58626)
Subject: Re: Generation Gap Stories

You're still young, Randy. Remember when the Beatles or Rolling Stones were new "long hair" music? Remember 78s or 45s? Remember 8 tracks? I had one of the first cassette decks for home and for my car and both had auto reverse! All these other old fashioned people were using 8 tracks, leaving tape strewn all over the highways.
an4340
Posted 2008-01-24 8:04 PM (#58628 - in reply to #58626)

I got a good one for you. My neice is here from china. Going to grad school. She's 22. We went to an antique fair, and as we're walking home she sees record albums. Guy has hundreds of them. And she says to me, Uncle, why are those CD covers so big. I say, aw sweetheart, those are record albums. On the inside there are large vinyl disks and in the old days they played them on record players. She says, oh, I've heard of those, DJ use them sometimes.

She doesn't even own a CD. It's all digital.
Beal
Posted 2008-01-24 8:16 PM (#58629 - in reply to #58626)

Yeah, that's where it's going
an4340
Posted 2008-01-24 9:11 PM (#58630 - in reply to #58626)

The good news, I suppose, is that the kids are into more home grown music. They seem to be closer to the musicians, unlike being fed them by the record companies.
Oddball
Posted 2008-01-24 9:13 PM (#58631 - in reply to #58626)

I don't recognize the name of a single individual or band that either of my daugters listen to. To them. J-Lo and Green Day are old. Oddly, along with all the 'current' stuff (some is good, most, well...), both of their iPods also contain several AC/DC and Aerosmith albums. Who woulda thunk that those guys would have the lasting power?
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2008-01-24 9:41 PM (#58632 - in reply to #58626)

Old , who is old..let ye r hair down , and keep ye r shirt on..when I turned forty , people said that I did not look a day over thirty , now , I am the elder person who has gone back to his roots , and plays an acoustic guitar ...

Vic
Northcountry
Posted 2008-01-24 10:11 PM (#58633 - in reply to #58626)

Well I'm raising my Girls right, when they crank the stereo from time to time it is for tunes from bands like Heart, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Rush. Honest to God I do listen to this stuff but what kid ever listend to their dad's music for very long. My Dad was a Folk kinda guy. And I do appreciate this but he would not even listen to CSN or any of the great bands my generation produced and I sort of outgrew The Kingston Trio or The Highway men, Burl Ives if I remember the names right. And when I got into LEd Zeppelin I am sure they thought whom ever Led was he must have been the antichrist. These guy's single handedly caused the term "Turn that Hippi Shit Down" to be heard across the US in the early 70's. Now I tell the kids to open the door and turn it up.

While there's something wrong with this, at the same time its proof that Rock and Roll from this era was really something phenomenal. !

Now back to the funny stories.
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2008-01-24 10:35 PM (#58634 - in reply to #58626)

U forgot to mention Irving Berlin , Cole Porter ,..and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8__EwAT8VM

Ye r Not alone , North Buddy.. :)

Vic

..I still want that friggin JUMBO..
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-01-24 10:50 PM (#58635 - in reply to #58626)

Hey! Burl Ives was Cool! He was the Snowman on Rudolf the Red-Nose Reindeer.
Patch
Posted 2008-01-25 12:06 AM (#58636 - in reply to #58626)

Originally posted by Northcountry:
GAP? Tain't no gap. More like a chasm! :rolleyes:

Last fall I gave a lecture about ageism to a freshman college class. They seemed to appreciate the learned wisdom that I attempted to share. ("Passing 40 isn't so much like going 'over the hill' as it is stepping off a cliff.") But the looks on their faces only affirmed their self-assured, late-adolescent belief that they were far too young to ever grow old. ;)

I told them however, that it wasn't all bad though. I explained that if they met me in the future that they should expect me to act grumpy, crotchety, forgetful, confused, old-fashioned, self-righteous, and borderline senile whenever it suited my purpose because if that's what the little nits expected of me anyway, I might as well enjoy the liberties appropriate to my aged station. :cool: :D
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-01-25 1:07 AM (#58637 - in reply to #58626)

My Mom is turning 70 on St Paddy's Day...
She listens to Country now, cuz all the new music sucks (her words).
She actually LIKES The Beatles, The Stones and Led Zep, after telling us for years to "Turn That Crap Down!"

She liked (Likes) the Ventures and that stuff, and she Has a wooden orange crate full of 8-tracks!

[Oh, and 51 is the New 29]
BT717
Posted 2008-01-25 5:44 AM (#58638 - in reply to #58626)

Here's one for you. There is a band that was big a year ago. Female lead singer with an incredible voice and the band had the real heavy tuned down sound. I liked them and the combo of the 2. My 13 yr old son is pretty excited because he like them to and we listen to them in the car together. His sister (my ex stepdaughter)
finds out I like their music as DID she,proceeds to tell my son "He's 50, he can't like them and if he does they must suck!" My son tells me she threw out the 2 CD's right in from of him!!
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-01-25 9:09 AM (#58639 - in reply to #58626)

Last year in class, we were on the subject of aftermarket parts in the auto industry (don't ask me how we got there in a law class) and I asked the students how many of them would love to have a beefed up Camaro filled with such parts. Not one hand was raised. Surprised, I asked them what kind of beefed up car would they want. Half the class agreed that it would be a Subaru with all the upgrades. They said the very best Camaro of its day would be toast against anything hotrodded by today's performance exports. Cubic inches mean nothing anymore. It is a new world, and I'm afraid I'm on another planet.
an4340
Posted 2008-01-25 9:11 AM (#58640 - in reply to #58626)

Thrown CDs? I think it was an act. She probably had already downloaded them digitally. These kids are cleverer than you think.
an4340
Posted 2008-01-25 9:15 AM (#58641 - in reply to #58626)

As for the car. I left my 1993 Honda Civic Hatch on the street. In the morning, I'm getting in the car to drive to an appointment when an attractive young woman comes up to me and says, I was wondering who owned that car, I love it.

To me, it's absolute basic transportation, but what the kids do is upgrade them, like in 2 Fast, 2 Furious. It's a sex machine, and highly stealable. Go figure.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-01-25 9:18 AM (#58642 - in reply to #58626)

One of my 16 year old daughter's friends asked me if my 83 Rx-7 was a Porsche......
geardaddy37
Posted 2008-01-25 9:23 AM (#58643 - in reply to #58626)

Sounds like displaced anger to me...you might want to ask her what's really bothering her.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-25 11:01 AM (#58644 - in reply to #58626)

Paul, I distinctly remember and ad for the RX7 in 77 or 78, in which they compared it to the sillouette of a Porshe 924 and showed how it was just like it except for the price and performance. She wasn't far off. That's what Mazda wanted people to think.
I've probably told this before, but I remember sitting at a stoplight, checking out this good looking 30 something woman walk across the street in front of me and I was somewhat annoyed that she didn't notice this beautiful red Porsche that I was in. Then I heard her daughter say, "Hey, Mom. Check out the Porsche."
brainslag
Posted 2008-01-25 11:52 AM (#58645 - in reply to #58626)

Originally posted by an4340:

She doesn't even own a CD. It's all digital.
CD's are digital. :D
stonebobbo
Posted 2008-01-26 12:38 AM (#58646 - in reply to #58626)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
One of my 16 year old daughter's friends asked me if my 83 Rx-7 was a Porsche......
Impossible. It's an indisputable fact that every chick in Southern California knows exactly what a Porsche is. They may, however, mistake a red Fiero for Magnum,pi's Ferrari.

On the topic, I'm not feeling so disconnected - probably because my kids keep turning me on to all the new stuff they're listening to. There's a lot of small, almost underground music out there, created as a result of low cost (sometimes home) recording studios and distributed through indie labels and networking channels like myspace. A couple of my kids really thrive on that stuff. A couple of my other kids are pretty much radio driven, one in the country music scene and the other in the general pop arena. In almost all cases what they get is digital and winds up in my iTunes library. We seem to be back into the world of the single. No one digitally downloads albums ... just individual songs. The "album" concept is for all intents and purposes finished. So there are some great songs to listen to out there, but not much in the way of good albums.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-01-26 1:11 AM (#58647 - in reply to #58626)

A young man, another "Temp" I worked with, had to ASK me,
"Is that Janis Joplin?... My Mom used to listen to that...
I used to hate it! She ain't that bad..."

Everything Old is New Again...

[Still trying not to Scream when I hear Bob Dylan on a Kaiser-Permanente commercial...
and I know they didn't ask him first]
First Alternate
Posted 2008-01-26 5:22 AM (#58648 - in reply to #58626)

Originally posted by Northcountry:

It's only a "problem" while you're going through midlife crisis. Once you get past that, it doesn't bother you.
Northcountry
Posted 2008-01-26 8:25 AM (#58649 - in reply to #58626)

HUmmmm guess I did write the word problem.........a slip? perhaps....? Personally I was laughing at the situation, still am, that's why I posted it; for the humor of it. My Second Childhood is "getting back into music" had no idea I would have so much fun! I think I chose this wisely myself. I having a blast.
Much better than buying the sports car and replacing my wife with the 25yr old, and destroying the family.
Playing music on stage at 46 is fun. I sure hope I don't outgrow this again..
The kids that don't know what I am playing are either tunned right out or some of them listen and tell me they thought that was pretty cool. Then we discuss Albums...........and that's where it all falls apart ........

Randy
JeffreyD
Posted 2008-01-26 8:50 AM (#58650 - in reply to #58626)

Hi guys (and gals)....

Haven't posted in a while....but this one caught my eye.

I was over at our bank branch the other day (I work in the Admin building) in the break room and a bunch of the 20 something teller chicks were talking about music and bands.

Scary part was....they were 70's groups that are being remade that they were raving about. Stones and such (too old to remember the details). I ask them why they are discussing these groups and they look at the grey haired old guy with a "Like duh...they are the hottest groups out there".

My response probably sent a couple of them to the hospital when I said...."Ladies, I genuinely am grateful that today's youth appreciate the music of their grandfathers". One of the gals politely asks...."what would you know about these bands". to which I replied "Ladies, when I was your age, these guys were popular, only we listened to them on something called a record or cassette tape" to which I followed with reciting the words to one of the chorus's that was in their song discussion.

Jaws dropped....deer in headlights look....loss of all color in the face.

My point being....just like clothes...muscle cars and bad hair.... wait around long enough and old becomes new again. The gap is just different sides of the circle I think.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)