The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
1117-4 Repair begins in earnest

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

Cripple Rick
Posted 2016-04-01 6:18 PM (#524354 - in reply to #489778)
Subject: Re: 1117-4 Repair begins in earnest

Wow, Arumako, what a great (and courageous) job! Congratulations! I just added a 1114 Folklore to my collection and it has several finish cracks. You have peaked my interest in having a go at a DYI repair, and I am in the hydrating phase right now. I may have to re-read your posts daily to keep up my courage. lol. Best wishes.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
arumako
Posted 2016-04-05 10:21 AM (#524422 - in reply to #489778)

Thanks for the comment Cripple Rick! Wow, a Folklore, that would probably be the most sought after "O" in Japan (maybe aside from the Adamas). You never see those around over here...I don't know, a 1117-4 with the bridge already peeling off (and practically free) is kind of a "nothing-to-lose" project, but a Folklore with only finish cracks...man; have you considered sending it to New Hartford for a restoration. It may take a while with the 50th Anniversary being their 1st priority and all, but the folks at the Mother Ship are masters, and they do immaculate work for very very reasonable prices. If I was in the States, I don't know if I ever would have attempted a DIY repair...

On the other hand, of course, I'm really glad that my circumstances kind of forced the issue for my 1117-4. The guitar still sounds incredible and it would have been a tragedy to just toss her. Since then, I've learned to do neck resets and repaired/restored several acoustic guitars and basses. Got reacquainted with some power tools that were collecting dust too. As you can tell, the folks here at the BFLG are so knowledgeable and helpful; and I've been able to overcome my "acoustic guitar complex" with their help. An iDea CC54i rebuild, an 1868 restoration, and a Fxxxxr F-330-12 repair are all projects waiting in the wings, and well...I would have never imagined attempting them had I not worked on the 1117-4!

If you go through the BFLG archives, there are some incredible project examples out there. I'm sure you're already browsing through that stuff, but I gotta warn ya, working on guitars is addictive! Good luck with the Folklore! What ever you decide to do, please share your journey with us and post some pictures. I never seem to get enough of looking at and listening to beautiful Os. They are just majestic, historic, artistic...well, you get the drift!

Edited by arumako 2016-04-05 10:25 AM
leonardmccoy
Posted 2016-04-05 3:05 PM (#524424 - in reply to #489778)

What a beautiful, beautiful guitar, and a home-luthiery project fully realized!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)