The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
VXT Tuners - or... tuning stability issues?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

grabby
Posted 2011-01-25 11:01 AM (#2171)
Subject: VXT Tuners - or... tuning stability issues?

Hi all - first post...

I bought a VXT a few weeks ago. I really, really like the guitar. I got it 'used (though still essentially new) for a very low price.

My only issue after a few weeks of playing it is that it does not stay in tune very well. I also find the tuning machines to be rather touchy - hard to control and really quite difficult.

All my electrics have locking tuners - like Planet Waves or Sperzels. I want to put this type in the VXT but I don't want to kill any of the mojo acoustically (well, with the piezo anyway), so I really have 2 questions.

1. Will changing to a locking tuner be advisable? I play it as an electric 90+% of the time. Mostly blues and zz top type sounds.
2. What tuners would be a direct drop in? I'm thinking these from Grover (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Tuners/Grover_Full-size_Locking_Tuning_Machines.html) look the closest, but I don't want to guess incorrectly.

Thanks so much for any feedback/help. I'm still pretty new to playing the guitar - just about 3 years now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2011-01-25 5:00 PM (#2172 - in reply to #2171)
Subject: Re: VXT Tuners - or... tuning stability issues?

Welcome Grabby,
Rather than suspect a bad set of tuners I would make sure I had the right action and attachment technique.

After that, Steinbergers or Sperzels will retro fit just fine. I'm not a fan of the locking Nut myself.

Steingergers on a Woody Tele

Sperzels on a Hamer

And a set from Bernie
alpep
Posted 2011-01-25 5:04 PM (#2173 - in reply to #2171)

locking tuners will add headstock weight
you probably have pings I would go with schallers
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2011-01-25 5:08 PM (#2174 - in reply to #2171)

Hi Grabby, I don't know exactly what your tuning issues are but if you wanna change-out your tuners to Grovers be sure to get the appropriate 'screw-tab' configuration.
The Grovers that your link took me to were inline and had the tab off to the side, you want them in the middle.

Stewmac is here... Or you may buy them cheaper somewhere else.
Waskel
Posted 2011-01-25 5:13 PM (#2175 - in reply to #2171)

I have a VXT and have no problems with the tuners. If all your other electrics have locking, maybe it's your stringing technique that's the problem.
grabby
Posted 2011-01-25 8:47 PM (#2176 - in reply to #2171)

Thanks for the replies guys. I must have put the wrong link in the post... I meant to get the center tabbed 3x3.

I was concerned I might be stringing it with not enough excess string in the tuning machine. I'm restringing as we speak... I will report back.
Damon67
Posted 2011-01-25 9:15 PM (#2177 - in reply to #2171)

Here's what my winds look like on the low E. By the time I get to the high E I'll usually have 2-3 wraps more.

The first wind is winding up, then the subsequent winds are down so it locks the string in place between to help it keep from slipping.
Waskel
Posted 2011-01-26 12:46 AM (#2178 - in reply to #2171)

The excess string on the post may be the problem. Here\'s a short article that shows the method I use. Minimal windings = minimal stretching = stays in tune...
an4340
Posted 2011-01-26 1:43 PM (#2179 - in reply to #2171)

Why don't you take off a sper's and / or a planet waves you have, and see if they fit on what you got? That way you'll have your answer tonight!
grabby
Posted 2011-01-28 9:36 AM (#2180 - in reply to #2171)

I guess I could try one of those - but my question was more for a 'drop in' replacement, which would require no drilling, reaming, or filling in of other holes.

I did restring an try some of the methods mentioned here to (hopefully) decent results.

Thanks for the help.
larry_az
Posted 2011-04-04 12:46 PM (#2181 - in reply to #2171)

Howdy folks -- new member and very glad to be here.

grabby, can you please give us an update?

I'm in the same boat -- just got a new VXT, slightly used (love it!) but having tuning issues.

Got it, put on new set of strings, had trouble with staying in tune after any decent blues bends.

Had the nut replaced, frets dressed, and action set for 10-gauge strings. Better but still have an issue with tuning stability.

My other guitar has locking tuners (Am Dlx Strat with roller nut) so I have fairly high expectations, but then again I'd be happy if my VXT could stay in tune for an entire song after a solo...

Thanks all!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)