The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
WHERE ARE THE STRANGEST PLACES YOU HAVE PLAYED THE GUITAR?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

guitarwannabee
Posted 2008-01-12 12:36 AM (#61170)
Subject: WHERE ARE THE STRANGEST PLACES YOU HAVE PLAYED THE GUITAR?

Fess up people,where is the strangest place that you have played your guitar...My strangest place has been in my bathroom while disposing of my waste.GWB :eek:
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lanaki
Posted 2008-01-12 12:53 AM (#61171 - in reply to #61170)
Subject: Re: WHERE ARE THE STRANGEST PLACES YOU HAVE PLAYED THE GUITAR?

i play guitar in the bathroom frequently. helps things move right along. the strangest place for me had to have been last year while Christmas caroling.
there were seven of us with guitars and ukuleles. we started at the fire stations and then were invited to play at the hospital emergency room. it was really quite ironic to be caroling smack in the middle of all the trauma going on around us. the physicians, nurses, family members and some patients were singing along with us and encouraged us to stay much longer than we had anticipated.

years ago, when i worked in hospitals, i would often bring my guitar and play for the patients up and down the halls. then i discovered how awesome the acoustics were in the stairwells at the end of the buildings. so, i would invite those patients who could, and often their family members, to join me singing in the stairwells. it was a blast.
guitarwannabee
Posted 2008-01-12 12:56 AM (#61172 - in reply to #61170)

Thats COOOOOLLL Randy...You just cant beat the sound effcts of tile and hallways of morter.GWB
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2008-01-12 1:20 AM (#61173 - in reply to #61170)

No comment.. :)
fillhixx
Posted 2008-01-12 1:21 AM (#61174 - in reply to #61170)

Artsy-fartsy things are the weirdest I've played.
Was once paid with a hand-woven hippy belt.
(Still have it - not proud.)

A couple times in places I was so drunk I had to be told I was great later by one of two guys who were the best/worst managers an entertainer could ever have. (that's the only flavour they come in.) ....and they had to get the girl who took me home to wake me up....

but that was a couple lifetimes ago.
good times.
Don't ever let me catch YOU doing that!
felonius funk
Posted 2008-01-12 6:50 AM (#61175 - in reply to #61170)

way up by the thirteenth fret
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2008-01-12 7:01 AM (#61176 - in reply to #61170)

Zilla's house.
NostrAdamas
Posted 2008-01-12 8:01 AM (#61177 - in reply to #61170)

Went to my ten year high school reunion and this girl that sat in front of me in my english class had found her calling...she was a high paid call girl in downtown Chicago, she asked me if I would play guitar for her Madams sons birthday party,$200 bucks 19th floor in a condo on Illinois st..I get there and the son is like 35 years old and theres all these call girls and a bunch of well dressed older guys cheating on their wives,sat down and played my accoustic for about an hour and a half.....that is the strangest gig I will ever play hands down! Jeff

www.guitarsoffire.com
Steve
Posted 2008-01-12 9:20 AM (#61178 - in reply to #61170)

I play in our local laundrymat, I play outside sitting on the tailgate of my truck while at the grocery store, I play at a local library, even changed my strings there a few times..
Tupperware
Posted 2008-01-12 9:36 AM (#61179 - in reply to #61170)

I was sitting on a bench outside the Antwerp train station waiting for a train to Paris. I was really early and bored. Opened up my uke case and started just dinking around to kill the time. A few folks wandered up and threw euro coins into the open case. I was flattered. God bless the EU.

Dave
Beggin
Posted 2008-01-12 9:46 AM (#61180 - in reply to #61170)

Originally posted by Captain_Lovehandles:
Zilla's house.
Funny....but I was just watching Shaun of the Dead on tha Comedy Channel.....reminded me of Zilla's. Do you have a plan yet? :cool: ;) :p

My strangest place was on stage in front of about 800 people. But that was a long long long time ago.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-01-12 9:59 AM (#61181 - in reply to #61170)

Back end of a 1953 Divco milk truck, or the passenger seat of a brand new 1967 Ford GT-40 (actually, more like just holding the guitar since one arm was wrapped around part of the roll cage for dear life).
Bluebird
Posted 2008-01-12 12:09 PM (#61182 - in reply to #61170)

A few strange places, actually.

However, the strangest was an outside gig and what made it really strange was the when ...a very cool Canadian December 23.
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-12 1:04 PM (#61183 - in reply to #61170)

Toss-up between the Centerton Livestock Auction and the Humpback Mountain (ShutUp! usual suspects) BlueRidge Cultural Center...
cliff
Posted 2008-01-12 1:05 PM (#61184 - in reply to #61170)

A go-go bar.
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-12 1:11 PM (#61185 - in reply to #61170)

... OK, OK...

between the"Livestock Auction" and "Humpback Mt." I deserve what's coming my way...
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-12 1:22 PM (#61186 - in reply to #61170)

Every place I play is strange. Actually, nothing more interesting than in the passenger seat of our Ford Fiesta, driving from here to Salina, Kansas. Had to practice for a wedding. The Fiesta was so small and crowded with our stuff that it was dangerous trying to play without injuring my wife, the driver.
dobro
Posted 2008-01-12 1:34 PM (#61187 - in reply to #61170)

I lived for five years in Jordanville New York (a Russian Orthodox Seminary-cum-monastery: a fragment of the 19th century!). I played guitar there in an empty grain silo. It was like a steel can about 25 feet in diameter and four stories tall. The most AWESOME REVERB I ever heard!!!!!!!!
felonius funk
Posted 2008-01-13 6:12 AM (#61188 - in reply to #61170)

Okay, I mentioned this thread to my wife and she started rattling off a lot of gigs that were surreal.

Lots of strip clubs, the back of an antique fire engine, middle of the ring at a rodeo, flatbed semi trailer in Chicago St. Patrick's parade, but my favorite...

The open top deck of an old paddle wheel boat on a lake on July 4. Hundreds of boats tied together and a rollicking party... and then the tornado came.
Beggin
Posted 2008-01-13 10:01 AM (#61189 - in reply to #61170)

...don't leave us hangin felonius...what happened?
Northcountry
Posted 2008-01-13 11:48 AM (#61190 - in reply to #61170)

Dobro! I know that place! Very rural area, Farm fields small community a few miles from the monistary. Big gold domes sticking up out of the pines and out in the farm fields by itself. Strange bunch of Catholics, very serious about thier worship. There's chanting going on 24/7 in the church. Women are to have their hair covered when entering, no shorts allowed and there are no pews or chairs, standing only. I mean no offence but that whole area is kinda creepy because of the movies like Chilren of the Corn. Any gig out there must have been kinda strange.

I don't think I can beat that one... nor the tornader in the last post but I had a gig when I was 17 at an old catholic shoool building that was converted over into an activites center for the many mentally challenged clients who reside in the assisted living homes across the area.
Without making to much fun of the audience, I can say that our lack of knowledge of their total "package of various conditions" gave them a show I'll bet was the most exciting thing they had witnessed in a long long time!
The Lady runnning this event, who was new to her job as the activites coordinator, did not give us a full picture of what can happen when we opened up our evening with our PA cranked to 10 and an overloaded flash pot that erupted with the first chord of Lynard Skynyrd's "That Smell"
Needless to say....that my fist professional experience was something that Killed! Well no one died or anything but we did create a couple of seizures and as the rows of surprised and helpless onlookers fell one by one on the floor or just took of running flat out for the exits or kneeling on the floor covering their heads as best they could whilst screaming to the top of their very loud little terrified lungs.....................I can remember staring in utter amazement watching this scene from the stage with a cigarette hanging from my lip. Now that's the Power of Rock & Roll Music my friends! And it is funny today because no one was really hurt or anything but a few clients got knocked out their wheel chairs and it took a while to calm them all down. One poor guy had top be captured out in the parking lot and I think the poor woman in charge of activites was reasigned to other duties and our band (Desert Sun), of course, all went on to live the famous lives of rock stars.
Our soundman/pyrothechitian went on to work for White Snake....or something like that.

Randy

..........."Package of Various Conditions"......
That has posibilities.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-01-13 12:11 PM (#61191 - in reply to #61170)

Dobro, for 2 years, in Austin TX, I lived in the oldest dorm on campus. The stairwells were perfect for playing. Probably not as much reverb as your grain silo, but an incredible sound nonetheless....
gulfcoast
Posted 2008-01-13 1:16 PM (#61192 - in reply to #61170)

In what we call down south "THE DRUNK TANK" at the local jail. And at a funeral.
schroeder
Posted 2008-01-13 1:26 PM (#61193 - in reply to #61170)

jW in a cultural center?
schroeder
Posted 2008-01-13 1:28 PM (#61194 - in reply to #61170)

Ski Lodge, CT.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)