The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Can you help me with a value estimate?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

fearlu
Posted 2008-01-10 12:05 PM (#61605)
Subject: Can you help me with a value estimate?

I posted this message on another forum and a kind respondent pointed me here. Thanks in advance!

"I'm fairly new to the forum and have learned a LOT in the past few months--many THANKS! I've also learned that after returning to guitar after a long hiatus I've owned the wrong acoustic for my massive hands. I'm going to get a custom build, but need to accumulate the funds. Can you help with an accurate "reserve" or final estimate of value on this guitar?

My parents bought me this guitar as a teenager and I've been careful with it. FWIW, it looks brand new in every way and includes the original Ovation HSC. Here's what I've got:

From the Ovation website:
#1617-1 Electric Legend
Body type: deep bowl
Top: Sitka spruce AAA
Bracing: Ovation A
Scale length: 25.25”
Fretboard: ebony, ivory binding
Fret inlay: 15 pearl
Bridge: walnut
Pickup: PE
Nutwidth: 1 11/16”
Machines: Deluxe 24K gold-plated

This guitar has the tobacco sunburst finish, diamond MOP fret markers, ivory binding, gold-plated tuners and a seven-piece neck which I guess was standard on this model.

Your help is most appreciated and if this violates any forum rules regarding price, PM would be great. Thanks for the collective intelligence! I know y'all love to get everyone upgraded appropriately, so thanks again for input."
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2008-01-10 12:33 PM (#61606 - in reply to #61605)
Subject: Re: Can you help me with a value estimate?

Well Now...I`ve got one..with "dings" and a couple of varnish cracks , would I sell mine , I would take at least 500 USD for it ( Not for sale though , )

Vic
Trader Jim
Posted 2008-01-10 12:34 PM (#61607 - in reply to #61605)

Guitar prices are very "moment orientated" lately so it would be hard to give an accurate guess. The best way to guage the value is to check Ebay and see what one like yours is going for. If I had to guess, I would say in the 350-500.00 range. I think G8r just bought one or two of these. You could do a search in the for sale section and they may show up. BTW, Welcome! :D
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-10 12:38 PM (#61608 - in reply to #61605)

Check recently completed ebay auctions...

I'd say in good very good condition 450-600.
G8r
Posted 2008-01-10 12:59 PM (#61609 - in reply to #61605)

I just sold an identical guitar, not mint but in very good condition, on eBay for $565 with original case. It sold once for $400 just before Christmas, but the buyer never paid, so I re-listed and it sold within hours at the Buy It Now price I had set. The market is very fickle right now.

List it on eBay with a reserve at the rock bottom minimum you'll take for it, and a Buy It Now of what you'd really like to get for it, or just let the market decide the top price after meeting the reserve.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-10 2:41 PM (#61610 - in reply to #61605)

Welcome and I'd give the same advice as g8r. Post good pictures on ebay and when you do your comparison, factor in that guitars with crappy pictures usually bring crappy prices.
There is so much chance involved in ebay. Sometimes two people have identical guitars for sale on the same day and there will be lots of action on one, but not the other, or there will be bunches of different bidders on both.
Have you tried a Folklore or any other Ovation with a wider neck?
fearlu
Posted 2008-01-10 6:46 PM (#61611 - in reply to #61605)

Thank you all very much! (I guess the Blue Book and Vintage Guitar guide had my hopes up with some higher numbers.) Meanwhile, aren't the new Ovations in this league around $1000-2000? Or am I just uninformed?
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-10 6:59 PM (#61612 - in reply to #61605)

The cost of a new one isn't necessarily relevant. For general production guitars it's kind of like cars. You expect to pay much less for a used one. New ones have lifetime warranties that apply only to the original purchaser. Some rare guitars appreciate in value and are worth more than current similar models. Personally, I like the old deep bowl Legends better than the new ones, but I wouldn't pay new price for an old one. I suspect that is one rare situation where I am in the majority.
fearlu
Posted 2008-01-10 7:57 PM (#61613 - in reply to #61605)

Thanks Mark,

My '69 Gibson electric is worth far more than the original MSRP and so are some of the older acoustics I've been following. The vintage guitar guides say $650-800 for examples in excellent condition. But, I understand that the market sets the price, not the seller (who may be longing for a new guitar...)

So, my beautiful Ovation is more like a Ford Windstar than a Shelby Cobra then? :D ;)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)